Controversial lost in round 6 at Philadelphia Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial lost in round 6 at Philadelphia Open

I bought a new chess clock before round 6 against MI Jacek Stopa (2453 FIDE) I ask the director/referee of Open section to set my clock. He put the 2 time control but forget the delay! Around move 20-25 five i saw this for the first time. I speak at this subject some time during the game but he say that he had said to me that i can make a claim with 2 minutes at my clock. My opponent speak at the same time and some players around that didnt like that I speak. So I dont understand and make my claim with 10 second to go and this time was cut in 2. We played more than 100 moves before the delay was add. And it have no 5-minutes deduction for delay in this tournament.

The 8-9 minutes that i missed, its all that I need to stop check and win the finale queen plus g and h pawn against queen and b pawn.

At the end, it was draw and my opponent play for flag.

And he won on time...

The referee said that he didnt know well the DGT North American chess clock because its just 2 years that it was on the market...

And after this devastating end of my 3th games who take more than 6 hours, I play like a foot in round 7 and withdrew the tournament.

Go back to Quebec city now!

Re : Controversial lost in round 6 at Philadelphia Open

Quite a weird situation. What was the original time control? And was it delay or increment?

Comment

Re: Re : Controversial lost in round 6 at Philadelphia Open

40 moves in 2 hours and 1 hour sudden death + delay of 5 seconds

Comment

Re: Controversial lost in round 6 at Philadelphia Open

Rejean,

Your story is very sad.

Something similar happened to me last year at the Canadian Open in Toronto and I'm sure that many other players around the world have had it happen to them, including grandmasters!

However, in my case, as in their cases and perhaps also in yours, the fault lies with the player himself. It is his or her duty to familiarize themselves with the clock and figure out EXACTLY what is going on, as early as possible. Otherwise you really put yourself at a disadvantage late in the game.

If you really have a problem with the clock the tournament director may be able to switch you to a different clock if it is still early in the game.

Comment

Re : Controversial lost in round 6 at Philadelphia Open

I believe the arbiter was wrong in his decision. The rules are pretty clear:
          Fide rules:

6.10 b. Si durant une partie, on constate que la programmation de l’un ou des deux chronomètres était incorrect, l’un des joueurs ou l’arbitre arrêtera les chronomètres immédiatement. L’arbitre effectuera la programmation correcte et ajustera les temps et compteurs de coups. Il fera preuve du plus grand discernement pour déterminer les informations adéquates.

. 6.10 b If during a game it is found that the setting of either or both clocks was incorrect, either player or the arbiter shall stop the clocks immediately. The arbiter shall install the correct setting and adjust the times and move counter. He shall use his best judgement when determining the correct settings.

You could easily have appealed against the decision of the arbiter...

Comment

Is there no higher ranked Arbiter that you could have appealed, if not satisfied with the first one? Someone more knowledgeable?

Comment

I simply don't know if it have an appeal committee or something like this.

John Bleau on quebecechecs.com wrote about the famous case of 1942 US Championship where Reshevsky lose on time and Denker claim it but the referee take the clock but reverse it and declare that Denker lose on time!!

Comment

If it's FIDE rated, there has to be an appeals committee. I don't know about USCF rules but FIDE rules would take precedence.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Felix, you are right on the clock programming rule: the arbiter has to reprogram the clock.

The problem is that in the US, unless the tournament's publicity says otherwise, all games are played under USCF rules. The USCF has been known to FIDE rate games played under USCF non-standard rules. In order to stop that, you would need to complain to the FIDE Ethic Commission and to the chairman of the TC.

One of the sections of the Philadelphia Open offered norms possibility and as such, must be played under FIDE rules unless they have the permission of the TC Chairman. According to FIDE rules, the Chairman may allow minor variations but the USCF rules are a major variation.

The main problem in the US is that the majority of the TD know only the USCF rules. The TD certification program only checks the knowledge of the USCF rules. It is quite possible that a USCF Senior TD who has never read the FIDE rules will be acting on the floor of a FIDE rated tournament .

CCA has its own rules as stated here http://www.chesstour.com/rules.htm . Even a cursory inspection of those rules can easily find many violation of FIDE rules. Especially bad is CCA rule 29 which clearly contradicts FIDE rule Except where one of the Articles: 5.1.a, 5.1.b, 5.2.a, 5.2.b, 5.2.c applies, if a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in the allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is drawn, if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves. The CCA rules is If you make the last move of the time control with your flag up, but it falls when you hit the clock, you forfeit. It doesn't matter if flag falls before or after you hit clock- it's always a forfeit. That's what the flag is for- to prove you didn't hit the clock in time This denies all exceptions in bold in the FIDE rules. It is true that the flag fall indicates that the player did not made the time control, but that does not meant that the game will always be forfeited because there is still a possibility for an exception.

Comment

My thinking is that:

Case 1:

When the player, whose flag falls before making the time control, has enough mating materials on the board and his opponent has a lone king,

= then it is a draw.

I think this is what that article is addressing.

Case 2:

not the situation where the opponent has mating materials on the board,

in which case, the opponent wins on time.

So 2 variations to this ruling. This is why a flag fall is not always a win.

Comment

There are two sets of exceptions in the FIDE Laws. The Article 5 exceptions cover the cases in which after the legal termination of the game, a player has neglected or have not been able to stop both clocks. The second set covers the situations in which the player whose opponent has overstepped the time limit couldn't have won over the board even with an infinite amount of time on the clock.

The 5.1a exception is for checkmate and the 5.1b exception is for resignation. If a player checkmates with a legal move, it is irrelevant whether or not he his able to stop his clock in time as long as the mating move has been made before the flag fall. If a player has resigned, he cannot claim a win on time because the opponent forgot to stop the clock after the resignation.

The 5.2a exception is for stalemating with a legal move. If a player stalemates with a legal move, it is irrelevant whether or not he his able to stop his clock in time as long as the stalemating move has been made before the flag fall. Exception 5.2b is for dead positions, if a player produces a dead position with a legal move, the game is drawn even if he has failed or neglected to stop the clocks. As in the case of checkmate and stalemate, the move must have been made before the flag fall. Exception 5.2c if for agreement to a draw. If both player agree to a draw, it is irrelevant that they forgot to stop both clocks. All those Article 5 exceptions are situations in which an action that immediately terminates the game has occurred. It is then irrelevant to overstep the time limit after the end of the game.

The other exceptions occur when the opponent's of the player who has overstepped the time limit cannot mate his opponent with any series of legal moves. This would be the case if he has only a lone king, but other cases are possibles. For example, with a king and a bishop against a king and a rook, the player with the bishop cannot checkmate, at most he will pin the rook and win it, but that would leave a dead position on the board. If we replace the bishop with a knight, a smothered mate is possible and the player with the knight will win if the opponent overstep.

Comment

So under this rule I have no responsibility as a player to set up my own clock? I can simply say to the arbiter before the game starts - this clock is set up wrong, I just discovered this and now the rules say it is up to you as arbiter to set the clock right.

Comment

Working...
                        X