X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheating as US high school nationals

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
    ... Cheating not only hurts the cheater itself, with guilt, ...:
    Just curious, but are you a pre-teen? If so, why are you up so late? ;-)

But seriously, do intelligent people really believe this stuff? Does anyone think that these sociopaths really feel guilt about anything? These folks are never sorry, that is until they are caught then, facing jail time or some big fine or loss of status and prestige, they realize the error of their ways, beg forgiveness, etc.

That's why we need strong laws to curb the natural tendency of these people. It's also why I think posts on here like yours, from decent people with sound principles, just totally misses the boat. You cannot think that people who cheat like this think like you do. If they did, they wouldn't cheat in the first place.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

But seriously, do intelligent people really believe this stuff? Does anyone think that these sociopaths really feel guilt about anything? These folks are never sorry, that is until they are caught then, facing jail time or some big fine or loss of status and prestige, they realize the error of their ways, beg forgiveness, etc.

That's why we need strong laws to curb the natural tendency of these people. It's also why I think posts on here like yours, from decent people with sound principles, just totally misses the boat. You cannot think that people who cheat like this think like you do. If they did, they wouldn't cheat in the first place.
      I'm pretty sure that cheating in chess doesn't make someone a sociopath...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
        Nah, it's the playing that does it :D

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

I'm 14, and the reason I was up, was because I was playing in a tournamnet on the internet chess club ;).

I guess i never thought about it from that perspective, that the cheaters don't think what they are doing is wrong, until they bite the bullet. I do not however, think that cheaters are sociopaths, that may take it just a bit too far across the line. They are still human beings, they are just misguided about how the game should be played.

Yes I agree that the CFC should take further precautions when it comes to cheating, especially when there are large prizes at stake. Again, you may be right that my way of perspective is not the way of the cheaters' perspective.

Perhaps, they should make the consequences more severe, and warn the players beforehand. Maybe that would prevent the majority of cheating that goes on.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
            I'm afraid it does.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
              I guess i never thought about it from that perspective, that the cheaters don't think what they are doing is wrong, until they bite the bullet. I do not however, think that cheaters are sociopaths, that may take it just a bit too far across the line. They are still human beings, they are just misguided about how the game should be played.
              Just because someone is a sociopath does not mean he is not a human being. I would suspect that the cheaters know what they are doing is wrong but don't really care until they are caught and embarassed. Even there they have some narcissistic tendencies which means that they are not necessarily embarassed but on some level enjoy their resulting notoriety.

Yes I agree that the CFC should take further precautions when it comes to cheating, especially when there are large prizes at stake.
              I think that when there are large prizes at stake cheaters should be criminally charged for fraud. I believe that this has already happened.

Again, you may be right that my way of perspective is not the way of the cheaters' perspective.

Perhaps, they should make the consequences more severe, and warn the players beforehand. Maybe that would prevent the majority of cheating that goes on.

Zach
              Most cheaters don't think that they will be caught. Even if they are caught they only receive a slap on the wrist. Now that we are going to have more prisons maybe we can find a place to keep them. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                Most cheaters don't think that they will be caught. Even if they are caught they only receive a slap on the wrist. Now that we are going to have more prisons maybe we can find a place to keep them. :D
                Damn, and the CFC just sold their building off recently!
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  Just because someone is a sociopath does not mean he is not a human being. I would suspect that the cheaters know what they are doing is wrong but don't really care until they are caught and embarassed. Even there they have some narcissistic tendencies which means that they are not necessarily embarassed but on some level enjoy their resulting notoriety.

I think that when there are large prizes at stake cheaters should be criminally charged for fraud. I believe that this has already happened.

Sorry, I worded that wrong, but I still don't believe they are sociopaths. Sociopaths are people with a personality disorder resulting in very inappropriate behavior, cheaters are guys who want a break, and will break the rules if they need to do it. It does not mean their entire personality is messed up because of one rotten quality. I agree, however, that cheaters enjoy their result, even if it is a false one.

Absolutely, at a tournament where the prize money is 5000$, it is the same as robbing a bank.

Cheaters have to convince themselves that they wouldn't get caught, or else they wouldn't cheating the first place. I believe the consequences should be worse, because after getting a slap on the wrist, it teaches the cheater what he did wrong, and how he could cheat more efficiently. And yes I believe a life sentence wouldn't be too harsh ;).
                  Last edited by Zachary Dukic; Friday, 6th May, 2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X