New board or old board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New board or old board?

Well, it is your place Larry... thanks for considering it. I think the confusion of two boards is more a problem than people adapting to the changes, but c'est la vie...

PS: at least change the website to remove the blurb about Pascal's tour.... ;)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

In recent months I had grown increasingly frustrated with the old board, because it was such a chore to find threads with new contributions. I am delighted that it is now very easy to search on "New Posts" - completely solves the problem for me.

Sorry if I have missed some feature on the old board which would have made this task simpler, but I was unable to do anything much better than search on "Today", which wasn't much of a solution.

It is also a great pain to have to regularly check both boards - I would be strongly in favour of dropping the old board.

John Cordes

Comment

That means the new board is catching up as we've generally been getting 1-2 per day after the initial mass rush.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Larry, I am figuratively on my knees begging to go with one ChessTalk, the new one! :)

Comment

Hi Larry:

Me too - It's a drag having to always check the old board to see what the dimosaurs are saying.

Bob

Comment

Re: What oh What do NewBoarders Do ? New board or old board?

What should " NewBoarders " do to accomplish their goal of having Larry shut down the " old ChessTalk?

Some have said they have only posted new threads now on the " new " board. Some have said they go to the old board , but no longer post replies there. Others have taken the radical position that they no longer go to the old board.

What should those of us NewBoarders do who still go to/ post on both boards? Should there be a campaign started for all NewBoarders to adopt an uncompromising position against the old board, and follow the lead of those who will no longer use the old board?

What do you think? ( I would have done a poll of Newboarders, but wasn't sure how to do it here ).

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                What should " NewBoarders " do to accomplish their goal of having Larry shut down the " old ChessTalk?

Some have said they have only posted new threads now on the " new " board. Some have said they go to the old board , but no longer post replies there. Others have taken the radical position that they no longer go to the old board.

What should those of us NewBoarders do who still go to/ post on both boards? Should there be a campaign started for all NewBoarders to adopt an uncompromising position against the old board, and follow the lead of those who will no longer use the old board?

What do you think? ( I would have done a poll of Newboarders, but wasn't sure how to do it here ).

Bob
                I'm with you Bob, especially if I get a stronger feeling from Larry that he would consider shutting down the old board. I feel like an idiot for initially preferring the old board! Now that I've figured out how to have threads appear as read, this new ChessTalk is bloody unbeatable for speed of checking in, reading what I want, and being ready for next scan.

Comment

I'd say the best way is to not post over there at all, and if you see something you want to reply to, post it over here in QUOTE tags and put your reply outside of the quote tags. That will mean the interesting discussions can be guaranteed to happen here, and the extra activity will draw even more people, snowballing...
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

OK, agreed, and we could just post on the old board thread: "reply posted on new ChessTalk" ;)

Comment

Re: A NewBoarder's Commitment - New board or old board?

For what it is worth, for the time being, while there are two boards, I will no longer post on the old board. I will do as Chris has suggested and if I see something I want to respond to over there, I'll copy it here, and respond here, and start a thread here. Maybe if more of us do that, the activity on the old board will die down ( maybe the dinosaurs over there will get tired too ), and viewers will have to come here to see what other replies are being made to their posts over here. An idea anyway, until Larry makes up his mind.

Bob

Comment

Two groups can play that game. I'm not sure it will do anything other than promote division.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not, but saves the effort of checking two boards eh.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Having two boards is ridiculous (sorry Larry). Here we were complaining about the inability to keep ONE board going and now we have competing boards offered by the same place. What possible reason could there be to keep the old board? I haven't heard a good one other than "it is my board and I'll do what I want" and that doesn't really cut it.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

It is a great idea to have two boards. This board has one nice feature of being able to edit posts.

An image I posted on the old board looked OK in preview mode but did not appear once posted.

The old board is full of fools who have blessedly not yet all migrated.

Mr Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Evans View Post
                                It is a great idea to have two boards. This board has one nice feature of being able to edit posts.

An image I posted on the old board looked OK in preview mode but did not appear once posted.

The old board is full of fools who have blessedly not yet all migrated.

Mr Bill
                                Mr.Bill, I do agree with your observation about there being more old-time bitterness on the old board. It's quite fascinating actually, maybe related to change adaptability?! ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X