[White "Thavandiran, Shiyam"]
    [Black "Jung, Hans"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteELO "2463"]
    [WhiteTitle "FM"]
    [BlackELO "2289"]
    [BlackTitle "FM"]
    [Source "MonRoi"]

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nbd7 4.g4 e5 5.g5 Ng8 6.Nge2 h6 7.Rg1 hxg5 8.Bxg5 Ngf6 9.h4 c6 10.Qd2 Qc7 11.O-O-O Be7 12.Bh3 Nb6 13.Bxc8 Nxc8 14.Ng3 g6 15.f4 Nb6 16.Qf2 exf4 17.Nge2 O-O-O 18.Qxf4 Nh5 19.Qg4 Kb8 20.b3 Rh7 21.Rgf1 Rdh8 22.Rf3 Bxg5 23.hxg5 Ng7 24.Rdf1 Ne6 25.a4 Rh1 26.d5 Nd8 27.Rxh1 Rxh1 28.Kb2 Nd7 29.dxc6 bxc6 30.Qg3 Ne5 31.Rf6 Qb6 32.Rxd6 Nc4 33.Ka2 Nxd6 34.Qxd6 Qc7 35.Qb4 Kc8 36.Qc4 Rh5 37.Qa6 Qb7 38.Qc4 Qc7 39.Qa6 Kb8 40.Nc1 Rh2 41.Kb2 Ne6 42.Nd3 Nd4 43.Nb4 Qd6 44.Qc4 Ka8 45.e5 Qxe5 46.a5 c5 47.Nbd5 Rxc2 48.Ka3 Qd6 49.Ne4 Qe5 50.Qa6 Nb5 51.Ka4 Qe8 52.Nb6 Kb8 53.Qc8 Qxc8 54.Nxc8 a6 55.b4 c4 0-1

Re: Thavandiran - Jung

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
    Does anyone understand this game?
    If someone asked that question about one of my games, I'd consider it the highest compliment.

Perhaps Hans has played through too many blindfold games? :)

It certainly was entertaining.

Comment

Whats to understand? Shiyam wanted to checkmate me and I checkmated him. :) The opening idea I got in an analogy from GM Duncan Suttles collection of games (I recommend the book trilogy to any serious student of chess - great reading and awesome ideas). Sorry Duncan but I just cant put the bishop on g7, I tried and it just doesnt work for me. But all your other ideas work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Sorry Duncan but I just cant put the bishop on g7, I tried and it just doesnt work for me. But all your other ideas work well.
        Hans, maybe you are channeling a more evolved form of Suttliana. In the 150 Attack, he pioneered the idea of leaving the B on f8, sometimes forever. And of course he'd be particularly pleased if the B found its way to h4 or b6 or its ultimate square: e3. As for the rest of the game, what I found most interesting was White's brief hesitancy to recapture on f4. Objectively, I suppose it doesn't really matter a lot to the assessment of the game how White recaptures, but it did present an opportunity for either side to burn clock time thinking about it. And for the observer to concentrate on the unimportant. But as an example of the primacy of king grubbing over pawn grubbing, it has a lot to recommend it.

Comment

As I alluded in another post I am amazed at Shiyam's ability to play on just increments - both delayed capture on f4 and R sac on d6 were planned on incremental time (I compared him to the late Todd Southam that way) and he certainly put me to the test at the end in terms of time shortage. As to Suttle's ideas it appears you understand them better than me which also means there is room to learn and add interesting ideas to any tournament players game. It has certainly helped my creativity lately.

Comment

I'm a fan of Suttles' works, which attracts me to this game. The opening I'm okay with. The middle game strikes me as Hans trying to open lines against himself, ruin his own pawn structure, and then emerge victorious out of tactical and strategic confusion.

I suspect Hans' thinking was very different from the above. What were you thinking? Was it positional sacrifice justified by tactical intervention? Was it tricky problems you desparately defended? Was it unique insights that make odd-looking moves actually strong? Was it that a rare combination of blunder and brilliancy? Was it careful and enterprising defense against a dangerous attack? Or a solid position easily rebuffing the offense?

Were you satisfied with your play, with your position?

Comment

Lets clarify some things. Up until move 31 the position was in Black's control with mainly Whites weak g5 pawn being an eventual target. Shiyam was desperately trying to open the position for play. I could have played 31...Ne6 but things are not so simple. 32.Nf4 is a hard move to deal with. I saw the Rd6 sac and that I could defend and that my rook would help win the endgame. Maybe 38...Rxg5 is more accurate but I was worried about Nd4 and knight tactics. When I finally brought my N to e6 and Q to d6 I knew my chances against his king were better than his against my king. (although his chances did look scary) Later his try Qxf7 actually loses to a5! So tactically it worked for me.
              I consider this my best game of the tournament and certainly the most entertaining and exciting. If I had to do it all over again I would still play the same way.

Comment

It was probably my favorite game of the tournament watching it live with both players on increment.

Comment

The opening, allowing g5 and then trading h6 for g5 were both unexpected. Obviously no plans for a kingside castle by either player. Then after 12. Bh3, I was surprised by Nb6, though nothing wrong with it. Then things get rather amazing.

13. Bxc8 Nxc8!? small surprise ! Isn't this worrisome?
                  14. f4 Nb6!? 15. fxe5 dxe5 16. dxe5 Qxe4 17.Bf4 Qe6. Rxb7 Black king trapped in the center, and open lines, and dominating d6. It appears the saving move is 16....Nc4 17. Qf4 Nxe5, but still, king trapped, and black owns the d,f, and g files!

14. Ng3 g6 white's a little slower now.
                  15.f4 Nb6 16. Qf2 what about fe5 now?

After that bout, the game unfolded logically although rather oddly, mounting rooks on the h file for a non-mating attack is not typical chess strategy. The R sac was curious, but understandable. After this, an exciting joust knights and queens. Leading to more complications:
                  49. Ne4 [I]when the knight was pinned to the queen.[/I Qe5
                  50. Qa6 hanging two knights but threatening mate if either is taken. Nb5+ but the knight is hanging
                  51. Ka4 don't take but allow capture with check! Qe8 Take nothing, protect nothing, threaten a weak discovered attack, but open to counterchecks.
                  52.Nb6+ Kb8
                  53. Qc8+ everything is hanging, but trade is forced. Qxc8
                  54.Nxc8 a6 55. b4!? black's pieces are safe, white's knight is hanging, and he pushes a pawn? c4 why not take?
                  Okay, he resigned.

Amazing game!

Comment

In your line 13.Bxc8 Nxc8 14.f4 Nb6 15.fxe5 dxe5 16.dxe5 Nc4 17.Qf4 Nxe5 one should not underestimate Black's defensive resources. The black knights are better placed than the white knights (Black has the resource Nh5). Also if Black can exchange the queens then the endgame is much better for black. Note the white E pawn and the H pawn.
                    The end of the game is very tactical. White is the one that is scrambling not Black. Please note that the white king is trapped.

Comment

Working...
                    X