Congratulations to GM Bator Sambuev!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congratulations to GM Bator Sambuev!

I would suggest that everybody keep their opinions to themselves until we hear from Hal.

As a member of the Executive, I haven't heard anything about round nine and the titles and World Cup spot since yesterday morning.

Bator and Eric: Congratulations on a hard fought tournament. Best wishes to both of you in future tournaments.

Comment

Maybe this can be explained to the Governors tout suite over in the Governors' Forum.

Comment

Congratulations to GM Sambuev! It was a heartbreaker for IM Hansen but I hope he's back to win it next time. Anyways I hope IM Hansen is on the Olympic Team next time, he proved it with the quality of his play.

Comment

Before the playoff even started, Eric indicated to us that he was playing for the title and the olympiad spot and not the WC because he was told by the organizers that GM Sambuev will not be attending the WC anyway, thus Eric will be the representative. As far as we are concerned this matter is decided.

Comment

I think we need to await a word from the CFC Executive on this question. Their silence has been deafening.

Comment

I am reviewing the issue. :(

Comment

Results of the Canadian Closed / Zonal

Canadian Champion: Bator Sambuev
                Olympic Team member: Bator Sambuev
                World Cup Representative: Eric Hansen
                IM title: Arthur Calugar
                FM Titles: Michael Kleinman, Victor Plotkin

I want to thank all the participants and organizers for putting on a great show. Special congratulations to Bator and Eric for their outstanding performances and exciting chess. Congratulations to Arthur, Michael, and Victor for earning their respective titles.

I am especially thankful that we were able run the Closed this year. It seemed in doubt earlier.

I am naming Morgan Mills as the most eager player. Morgan emailed me numerous times throughout the year asking "when is the Closed?". It is good to see he also had an excellent tournament. :)

Comment

World Cup representative is better than a place on the Olympic team. Playing a board on a mediocre team saps the energy out of a person.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    World Cup representative is better than a place on the Olympic team. Playing a board on a mediocre team saps the energy out of a person.
                    Gary, a very strange comment. As I recall, our Olympic teams were very impressive in 2010. Adding Bator, more impressive results to be sure. I look forward to a great show from our Olympians in 2012. :D

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Gillanders;37597]Results of the Canadian Closed / Zonal

FM Titles: Michael Kleinman, Victor Plotkin

Might one inquire as to why Plotkin receives the FM title? Or to be more precise, why there is no playoff for the title between he and Djerkovic?

It is my understanding that Miladin would have competed for the title had anyone told him it was a possibility. But at the time he finished his 9th round game everyone assumed the FM titles would go to Kleinman and Morgan who both had more points. So with no reason to stay and a long ride home to Ottawa in store, Miladin left. It would thus seem unfair to disqualify him on that account.

Were there other considerations in play? Was there a requirement to decide the FM question expeditiously? Enquiring minds need to know!

Comment

Miladin was actually 2300+ FIDE in 1990 so he really also is qualified for the FM title. I checked this out before I played him.

Comment

Yes, well that was then and this is now. Can the CFC make a retroactive application on behalf of Miladin for the FM title? If so my concerns re a playoff are moot. But if not, the question remains.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
                            Yes, well that was then and this is now. Can the CFC make a retroactive application on behalf of Miladin for the FM title? If so my concerns re a playoff are moot. But if not, the question remains.
                            Yes, the CFC could if a FM candidate would pay all fees and there would be some records about >2300 (old Informants)

Comment

Ah yes, the question of cost. I remember when I got the FM title it came as something of a surprise. It used to be something hard to get and was fought for since it could only be optained through norms. Then it switched to a rating requirement and suddenly half the Canadian masters had the title and we paid nothing out of our own pockets. I suppose the CFC deemed it good for chess in Canada that those who had made the rating requirement be titled. Now that the CFC is strapped for cash it may be otherwise. But these retroactive applications are weird. Remember when Igor Ivanov suddenly got the GM title? He was far past his prime and kept missing the GM norm, and then suddenly he got it!

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                Yes, the CFC could if a FM candidate would pay all fees and there would be some records about >2300 (old Informants)
                                I know that it shouldn't be too hard if Miladin is interested he can probably contact FIDE and they should be helpful with this as they get paid. I know that about three years ago they actually contacted Dale Haessel because he was over 2300 in the 90s and he gladly paid the fee to become an FM!

Comment

Working...
                                X