How much will Kamsky say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much will Kamsky say?

How many words will Kamsky say at the Round 2 (semi-final match against Boris Gelfand) press conference of the Candidates Matches in Kazan?
    zero
    14.29%
    0.00%
    14.29%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    14.29%
    0.00%
    You're joking
    57.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Thursday, 12th May, 2011, 02:24 PM.

Re: How much will Kamsky say?

I am not sure I understand Jonathan, is he a very quiet person, or is it believed that his father is still speaking for him as was the case back in the mid-1990s?

Comment

Brad, after the first round, Kramnik chatted volubly while Grischuk was his normal formulaic self. Still, they managed to go on for 14 minutes. At the other conference, Gelfand was having a snack, but in the absence of Kamsky saying anything, gabbed on a bit with the assembled journalists. At the 2 minute mark, Kamsky looked decidedly bored and uncomfortable. At the end of the interview, Kamsky spoke very briefly, but since he was inaudible, I couldn't count the words. 2? 3? 5? Then he was happy to escape. Total length of that press conference: 3 minutes.

From all reports, Gata Kamsky is molodyets, totally a normal good guy in English or in Russian. If he's shy, it doesn't show 1-on-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        At the end of the interview, Kamsky spoke very briefly, but since he was inaudible, I couldn't count the words. 2? 3? 5? Then he was happy to escape. Total length of that press conference: 3 minutes
        http://video.russiachess.org/view/highlight/98
        (The used player is quite bad and slow.)

At the end he was asked if he toured the town center. (The similar question was for Gelfand before.)
        He answered "yes, just did a quick walk" (a little bit more words)
        His last sentence: "Could we leave now? Thank you"
        Probably he told 10-15 words in total.

Comment

Re : How much will Kamsky say?

haha. It's pretty incredible how he looks bored in the video :D

Comment

The round 2 press conference went for all of two minutes. Gelfand spoke briefly in English, then Kamsky spoke in English for about 12 seconds, then some grumbling from the audience and Kamsky switched to Russian for about 10 seconds. Gelfand took up the gauntlet in Russian for somewhat longer. Then Gelfand and Kamsky started analyzing moves with each other, in Russian, for about 15 seconds before they were both clearly satisfied. At this point the interview was barely half over. Kutin, the moderator, spoke quietly with Gelfand in English for about 12 seconds, clearly asking Gelfand to say what he had just said in Russian, but in English. Gelfand complied, and after a few words Kamsky started laughing. Gelfand's English is perfectly adequate, but of course Kamsky is 100% fluent, so it's amusing that Gelfand was twice asked to speak in English, but Kamsky was never asked to speak in English, only once to speak in Russian. After Gelfand was finished with his explanation, Kamsky said "I agree." and both Kutin and Kamsky burst out laughing. Kutin said: "Please go on. Two sentences, that was just one." Kamsky laughed again and said "What do you want me to say?" then after a pause summed up the game in another sentence, but it was a compound sentence so maybe that counts as two.

I must have been joking.

Comment

Working...
            X