Congratulations on Canadian Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations on Canadian Championship

Warmest congratulations to all involved in making the Canadian Championship such an outstanding success. Hal Bond and his team stepped into fill the breech at the last minute and pulled it off. Bator Sambuev continued his run at the top of Canadian chess and, of course, Eric Hansen established himself as one of Canada's strongest players and a worthy representative at the World Cup. In all, a great achievement. Congratulations to all!

A Worthy National Championship

I'd just like to say " ditto ".

I think CFC can be quite proud of this year's Closed/Zonal - it was a worthy national championship.

And thanks to all the participants who took time out to play - we patzers throughly enjoyed watching you all battle it out.

Bob

Comment

Re: Congratulations on Canadian Championship

I'm really confused, did Bator lose the tiebreaks game and how come Victor got the FM title before Morgan Mills? The sadness of missing a zonal :(
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
        I'm really confused, did Bator lose the tiebreaks game and how come Victor got the FM title before Morgan Mills? The sadness of missing a zonal :(
        This is all discussed at great(er) length elsewhere on this board. You are not alone in your confusion/dismay/disagreement.:)

Comment

Pfft nevermind, I just found the post lol, thanks Gordon :D
          Last edited by Bindi Cheng; Tuesday, 17th May, 2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

My Best Understanding

Hi Bindi:

1. Bator won tie-break - thus the title of Canadian Champion, and the spot on the 2012 Can. Olympiad team. He would have won the right to go to the World Cup as Canada's rep., but for a few reasons, he declined that prize, and so it goes to Eric as runner-up.
            2. Morgon couldn't get the FM title because he only had 4/8, since one round he got a " bye ", and that disqualifies him ( though Jonathan Berry is trying to make a determined legal argument based on the FIDE rules that Canada is misinterpreting the FIDE rule on " byes " and titles ).
            3. Miladin Djerkovic left the playing hall, not knowing that he had a shot at the FM title. Victor Plotkin apparently, if I understand correctly, did not wish to now play a tie-break match. So Hal has awarded the title to Victor, since he was there to play at the time he was supposed to ( My guessing at the reasoning ).

Everyone can now jump on me for my inaccuracies !

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 17th May, 2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Re: My Best Understanding

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Bindi:

1. Bator won tie-break - thus the title of Canadian Champion, and the spot on the 2012 Can. Olympiad team. He would have won the right to go to the World Cup as Canada's rep., but for a few reasons, he declined that prize, and so it goes to Eric as runner-up.
              2. Morgon couldn't get the FM title because he only had 4/8, since one round he got a " bye ", and that disqualifies him ( though Jonathan Berry is trying to make a determined legal argument based on the FIDE rules that Canada is misinterpreting the FIDE rule on " byes " and titles ).
              3. Miladin Djerkovic left the playing hall, not knowing that he had a shot at the FM title. Victor Plotkin apparently, if I understand correctly, did not wish to now play a tie-break match. So Hal has awared the title to Victor, since he was there to play at the time he was supposed to ( My guessing at the reasoning ).

Bob
              Re: #3 - how could anyone dispute your speculation since there are no facts or reports on any of that (to the best of my knowledge...)
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks Bob, btw Kerry, I think he's just saying based on his interpretations, I went through the chesstalk posts and that's the same conclusion that I come under as well

Comment

3. Miladin Djerkovic left the playing hall, not knowing that he had a shot at the FM title. Victor Plotkin apparently, if I understand correctly, did not wish to now play a tie-break match. So Hal has awarded the title to Victor, since he was there to play at the time he was supposed to ( My guessing at the reasoning ).
                  As I understand Miladin Djerkovic had once 2320 (in 1990, data from http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/ratings ), thus he fulfilled the requirement for FM long time ago.
                  (I assume that he is the same person as in the list.)

Comment

Bob
                    LOL. I love it. Jonathan Berry versus Canada. And here I was dreaming that it was merely Jonathan Berry versus Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      LOL. I love it. Jonathan Berry versus Canada. And here I was dreaming that it was merely Jonathan Berry versus Ontario.

The more important question...will the B.C. chess icons such as Jonathan Berry, Lynn Stringer, Mark Dutton, Greg Churchill, Roger Patterson (Keres Memorial?), Ken Jensen etc...visit the Canadian Chess Challenge in Victoria this weekend? Sunday Night is team night...a time for each province to have a good time together...since I am not affiliated with any team (yes...I do have my preferences LOL)...if the icons are showing up...then let's party :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        The more important question...will the B.C. chess icons such as Jonathan Berry, Lynn Stringer, Mark Dutton, Greg Churchill, Roger Patterson (Keres Memorial?), Ken Jensen etc...visit the Canadian Chess Challenge in Victoria this weekend? Sunday Night is team night...a time for each province to have a good time together...since I am not affiliated with any team (yes...I do have my preferences LOL)...if the icons are showing up...then let's party :)

Larry
                        Moi, an icon? Click on me and I'll clock you. :-)

But regrettably, I will be preoccupied with the Keres. But you should get a pretty good fraction of that list showing up.

Comment

Re: 2011 Canadian Chess Challenge - Beach Party and Awards - Saturday in Victoria, BC

Larry
                          Hello Larry:

I will be at the Canadian Chess Challenge this weekend in Victoria.

I would not want to miss BLITZ ON THE BEACH on Saturday afternoon!

2011 Canadian Chess Challenge - Beach Party and Awards

BBQ and Beach Blitz Chess Tickets now available here http://2011beachchessfest.eventbrite.com

This could be the largest blitz tournament in Canada!

Pre registered player list
                          http://victoriajuniorchess.pbworks.c...istered-player

Chess .... and the best coast of Canada - it doesn't get any better than this!
                          :)

Comment

Beach Chess Fest Saturday May 21st, 2011 in VICTORIA BC - Re: My Best Understanding

Larry

In Victoria -- A Beach Chess Fest was held Saturday, May 21 at Willows Beach in Oak Bay B.C. The Beach Chess Fest included a Sand Castle Competition, skim board demos, other games and of course Chess. Many events are free and are open to all ages. A BBQ will top it all off starting at 5 pm. Buses will take players from the UVIC residences on a scenic tour along the ocean to Willows Beach.

Pictured here is Canada's newest FM Victor Plotkin discussing his last round marathon vs. IM Arthur Calugar with Larry Bevand and myself. Interesting that Victor describes his Canadian championship final round in very different terms than was falsely reported here on ChessTalk (and other inaccurate Blogs) by others after the last round. :)

Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=896395166

[Event "2011 SAP Canadian Closed"]
                            [Site "Guelph"]
                            [Date "2011.05.10"]
                            [Round "9"]
                            [White "Plotkin, Victor"]
                            [Black "Calugar, Arthur"]
                            [Result "0-1"]
                            [WhiteELO "2422"]
                            [WhiteTitle ""]
                            [BlackELO "2401"]
                            [BlackTitle ""]
                            [Source "MonRoi"]

1.e4 c5 2.c3 Nf6 3.e5 Nd5 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nf3 e6 6.cxd4 d6 7.Bc4 Nb6 8.Bb3 dxe5 9.Nxe5 Nc6 10.Nxc6 bxc6 11.O-O Ba6 12.Re1 Be7 13.Nc3 O-O 14.Ne4 Bc4 15.Bc2 Bd5 16.Qd3 g6 17.Bh6 Re8 18.Rac1 Nd7 19.Bb1 Qb6 20.b3 Red8 21.Nc3 Nf6 22.Bg5 Kg7 23.Na4 Qc7 24.Qh3 Nh5 25.Bxe7 Qxe7 26.Qe3 Qh4 27.Nc3 Re8 28.Be4 Nf6 29.g3 Qh3 30.f3 Rad8 31.Qf2 Qh5 32.Nxd5 exd5 33.Bd3 Rxe1 34.Rxe1 Qh3 35.Re7 Rd7 36.Qe3 Rxe7 37.Qxe7 Qh6 38.Qe1 Nd7 39.Ba6 Qg5 40.Bc8 Qd8 41.Bxd7 Qxd7 42.Qe5+ f6 43.Qe2 Kf7 44.Kf2 Qb7 45.Ke3 Ke6 46.Kd3+ Kd7 47.Kc3 Qb6 48.Qe3 Qa5+ 49.Kb2 Qb4 50.Qc3 Qb5 51.a4 Qe2+ 52.Ka3 h5 53.Qc5 a6 54.Qa7+ Ke6 55.Qa8 Kd7 56.Qb7+ Kd6 57.Qb8+ Kd7 58.Qb7+ Kd6 59.Qf7 Qxf3 60.Qxg6 Qf1 61.Qxh5 Qa1+ 62.Kb4 Qxd4+ 63.Ka5 Kc5 64.Kxa6 Qb4 65.Ka7 Qb6 66.Ka8 Qd8+ 67.Kb7 Qd7+ 68.Ka6 Qc8+ 69.Ka7 Qc7++ 70.Ka8 Qc8 71.Ka7 Qc7+ 72.Ka8 Kb6 73.a5 Kxa5+ 74.Qg4 c5 75.Qe6 d4 76.h4 d3 77.b4+ Kxb4 78.Qxf6 Qc8+ 79.Ka7 Qd7+ 80.Ka6 Qb5+ 81.Ka7 Qd7 82.Ka6 Qd4 83.Qb6+ Ka3 84.Qb1 Qa4 0-1

Comment

Working...
                            X