The candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The candidates

Color me frustrated that the players vying for the world championship refuse to fight. I suppose it's cowardice linked to the fact that there's a million dollars at stake here (winner plays a championship match). Inevitably, when two players agree to an early draw in a match, one of them blundered in making that agreement. I realize most toplevel games are inevitably drawn, but in a match it pays to play on if you have an edge - even if heading for a draw.
    laying on takes energy. One player has more energy and has everything to gain by wearing down the opponent. Unless one side has an edge and should try to capitalize. Or if one is stronger at rapids, the other should do everything to avoid them.

But anyway, there's nothing to be done about this match. The conditions are set, and only the players can influence the course of the games. For future, is there Anything FIDE can do to encourage fighting chess?

A) Sophia rules (or ask arbiter permission to draw) could help
    B) eliminate rapid playoff. Play 2 pairs of games. repeat until score is decisive. I don't know how long a match might go, but at least players know there's no way but to win a standard game.
    C) I give up. Is there any solution?

Re: The candidates

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
    Color me frustrated ...

But anyway, there's nothing to be done about this match. The conditions are set, and only the players can influence the course of the games. For future, is there Anything FIDE can do to encourage fighting chess?

B) eliminate rapid playoff. Play 2 pairs of games. repeat until score is decisive. I don't know how long a match might go, but at least players know there's no way but to win a standard game.
    C) I give up. Is there any solution?
    some options:
    a) if match is all draws, neither player advances. Double forfeit.
    b) more games but prize fund decreases by half with each draw. If it goes to a blitz final the players have to pay out the prize fund.
    c) chess boxing, if tied settle by a fistfight.
    d) for playoff each player rolls dice to determine which of their own piece to take off. If game tied roll dice again and take off 2 pieces.
    e) play blitz continously, all night long, until one has a score of +6.
    f) one square is the daily double, when a piece lands on that square player gets an extra move, or conversely loses that piece.
    g) If two candidate matches both draw have them all play together in a doublechess (bughouse) tournament.

Comment

Very funny ;-)

a and b may be useful ideas. The others may be entertaining but they don't encourage fighting slow games.

Comment

Possibly one or both of the players find the tie break format to be more to his liking.

I didn't think the draws were completely unreasonable but maybe I don't understand the games.

If the tie break were conducted with a roulette wheel, like Smyslov and Heubner, maybe there would more decisive games. Then again, maybe not.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I dislike the match being settled by quick chess, but what is the solution, if the players draw repeatedly in classical chess? Do we play classical games till there is a winner (as in NHL playoff games, overtime after overtime, till exhaustion takes its toll)?

If the match is to be decided in a fixed number of days, and there are multiple draws at the start, then... well, what do you do? Flip a coin?

Comment

What's happening right now (in my opinion) in the Candidates Matches is a little bit strange but understandable. Neither player wants to go too far in a position, make a few mistakes, end up in a worst position and eventually lose. There is a lot at stake (money and title) for both of these players. They may not get a second chance to be this advanced in the process of the World Championship. This seems to be why they're cautious and settle for a draw early in the game.

Grishuck and Gelfand have been successful in the rapid games of their previous matches, maybe they want to draw all six games and gamble there. Another reason for all these draws may be that one player waits for a great opening advantage before entering the middlegame and fight.

I'm not saying that I agree with what both of those players are doing but I can definitely understand why they're doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jean-michel rivest View Post
              What's happening right now (in my opinion) in the Candidates Matches is a little bit strange but understandable. Neither player wants to go too far in a position, make a few mistakes, end up in a worst position and eventually lose.
              or the other player makes a mistake and he loses instead. Look eventually someone must lose, so each person must take a risk of being the loser at some point in the match. If they don't risk now, it will come down Risking all in the Armaggedon game.
              They may not get a second chance to be this advanced in the process of the World Championship.
              So why don't they take full advantage of their chance and actually play?
              Grishuck and Gelfand have been successful in the rapid games of their previous matches, maybe they want to draw all six games and gamble there.
              That seems to be the plan. But it makes no sense to waste opportunities to win before then. Even just gaining a psychological edge by putting pressure on is worth it.

[/QUOTE]
              Another reason for all these draws may be that one player waits for a great opening advantage before entering the middlegame and fight.
              And if it never comes? If the opponent's computer finds the edge first? They squander chances.
              i'm not saying that I agree with what both of those players are doing but I can definitely understand why they're doing it.
              They have reasons but the result is pathetic. Unfortunately I'm not sure anything can change this. Maybe a prize for an early match victory
              Last edited by Alan Baljeu; Monday, 23rd May, 2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                Sofia rules work. At least, they are more likely to produce a final position where chess fans understand the result.

An interesting alternative, the biddable G/45 Armageddon.

A stray thought: one drawback of Sofia rules is that they may prevent you from sportingly agreeing to a quick draw against an opponent who is ill. Another: it might have been to Kramnik's advantage to continue play in those short games with Black against Grischuk. Sofia rules would have taken away that psychologically difficult choice, they might have saved him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Sofia rules work. At least, they are more likely to produce a final position where chess fans understand the result.

An interesting alternative, the biddable G/45 Armageddon.

A stray thought: one drawback of Sofia rules is that they may prevent you from sportingly agreeing to a quick draw against an opponent who is ill. Another: it might have been to Kramnik's advantage to continue play in those short games with Black against Grischuk. Sofia rules would have taken away that psychologically difficult choice, they might have saved him.
                  The Sofia rules don't change anything. I agree with what Jean Hébert said in a previous post, giving 3 points for a victory may cause players to be more careful and less inclined to take risks on the board.

In my opinion, there should be some sort of playoffs like the ones we have in Hockey. Players should play classical chess again and again and again until there is a clear victor. That way we don't have to resort to any kind of rapid, blitz, armaggedon or god knows what else kind of chess. All of those games aren't serious chess. Only serious chess can determine the candidate to the world championship. And if both players still make easy draw after easy draw after easy draw in those "playoffs", they should be forfeited.
                  Last edited by Jean-Michel Rivest; Tuesday, 24th May, 2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jean-michel rivest View Post
                    Only serious chess can determine the candidate to the world championship.
                    I agree; I particularly dislike the "armageddon" style hack and the ever-shorter matches that are becoming fashionable.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Ideally - chess should be decided on the board - same time controls to break ties. But maybe boxing should be decided by the fighters - not the judges. Let a fight continue round after round until a KO, or until someone throws in the towel.

Maybe chess should have "judges" (maybe computers?) too - they could vote on every move, and the points could be added up at the end of a drawn game.

Comment

Are you confusing Sofia rules (the players cannot agree to a draw) with Bilbao scoring (3 points for a win, etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                          Are you confusing Sofia rules (the players cannot agree to a draw) with Bilbao scoring (3 points for a win, etc.)?
                          Yeah. I guess I have. :)

Comment

The candidates tournaments in their present form present an almost insurmountable problem - how to balance the number of games with the organizer's ability to stage such a match. No organizer can support a match of indefinite duration!
                            Perhaps the present system is the best we can do. The roulette wheel solution of Smyslov - Huebner is one tie breaking system; if the prize money is split 50-50 then it might be more palatable.

Comment

3 points for a win doesn't help in a match.

Two new ideas:
                              1. Rank players before the matches in a ranking tournament. Maybe even Grand Prix events. Those who performed better in the tournament get draw odds in the playoffs. This means at least one player will be trying to win.
                              2. Semifinal and final matches give draw odds to the player who won more games or earlier games in the prior match. So there's strong incentive to win ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X