Ontario Open... lack of news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Open... lack of news

I am really surprised that no one connected with the Ontario Open... not the organisers, volunteers, spectators, players, no one... has posted any news at all. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

It seems unacceptable in the internet age for a major tournament not to post round-by-round updates.

Re: Ontario Open... lack of news

:o and yet, a good time had by all. :D

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 24th May, 2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I hope to see some games from this event - the CanBase database will be updated sometime this week.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        I am really surprised that no one connected with the Ontario Open... not the organisers, volunteers, spectators, players, no one... has posted any news at all. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

It seems unacceptable in the internet age for a major tournament not to post round-by-round updates.
        Without sufficient exposure no tournament can claim to be "major". And without games, all tournaments are soon completely forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          Without sufficient exposure no tournament can claim to be "major". And without games, all tournaments are soon completely forgotten.
          I guess "major" is a relative term. The Hamissauga (Hamilton & Mississauga) organizers are exhausted after completing our trifecta of major events in less than 2 months: Hamilton Winter Open, Canadian Junior Championship, and Ontario Open. :)

We considered them all major events, and we won't forget them soon. On behalf of all the organizers and volunteers, I want to thank all the players for coming. We hope everyone had a good time. Each tournament had a few glitches and challenges of its own, so we appreciate your patience.

A special thank you to all the players to made the extra effort to thank an organizer.
          It really is appreciated. :D

Our next tournament will be the Hamilton Summer Open in August. Exact date to be announced.
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 24th May, 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

A photo to give an idea of the venue:

I genuinely enjoyed the Ontario Open. Being rated almost exactly in the middle of a section meant that all of my opponents were rated within 200 points of me, and all my games were hard fought and competitive. The ~ two hours between rounds provided many opportunities to chat and relax. The large playing hall provided ample space. Lots of places to eat nearby. Kudos to organizers Gooding/Gillanders/Egorov/Nunes for a job well done!

Stuart Brammall's bright red chess pieces are visible in the lower left corner. He used them to good effect to swindle Rob Gashgarian in the last round....

Comment

Originally posted by Walter De Jong View Post
              Stuart Brammall's bright red chess pieces are visible in the lower left corner. He used them to good effect to swindle Rob Gashgarian in the last round....
              I prefer to think of it as a comeback ;)
              I think I was only lost between moves 6 and 10...

For the fans:

Brammall - Gashgarian

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. d4 Bb4 5. d5 Nb8 6. Nxe5 Qe7 7. Nd3 Qxe4+ 8. Be2 O-O 9. O-O Bxc3 10. bxc3 Qc4 11. d6 cxd6 12. Nf4 Qc5 13. Be3 Qe5 14. Rb1 Ne4 15. Nd5 Nxc3 16. Nxc3 Qxc3 17. Bd4 Qc7 18. Bd3 Nc6

19. Bxh7+ Kxh7 20. Qh5+ Kg8 21. Bxg7 Kxg7 22. Qg5+ Kh8 23. Rb3 1 - 0

Comment

Hi Stuart:

Quite nice - I wouldn't call it a " swindle ".

Bob

Comment

Allo,

I'd like to echo Walter's words on the tournament.
                  Even though I personally only had one good quality game in Round 3 (got myself to blame), I really enjoyed this weekend.

The Ontario Chess Association general meeting had a low attendance but many issues were productively discussed. As outgoing secretary, I'll be sending president Michael von Keitz the minutes to be published at the OCA site within the week.

We played in the cafeteria of a huge secondary school not far from the Hamilton core.
                  This location was a definite improvement from the previous, with plenty of street life and nearby places to eat within walking distance.

Having stayed with Stuart over the weekend, keen on arriving 45 minutes early in the morning, provided a great opportunity to socialize with many of chess afficionados. Some of these keeners I had previously only exchanged a couple of words with. Call me an amateur but to me chess tournaments are also social events.

The rounds being 6 hours apart ensured that those who used all their time and had long games, had enough time to at least eat between the rounds. For most of us who had 4 hour games, being able to sit down for a meal, socializing back and forth with other players was a true bonus.

Congrats to red-pieces Stuart Brammall for breaking 2000! A legitimate 900 point rise in less than 4 years (I can verify this from when I first met Stu in 2007). Who says you need to be a junior to take up and reach such heighs in chess? ;-)

The tournament was divided in 3 sections, which meant that most games were very competitive and nerve wrecking, even for the spectators.
                  Congrats to IM Gerzhoy and GM Sambuev for wining the tournament. Gerzhoy took the point from Sambuev while conceding draws to IM Noritsyn (finished 3rd) and Sapozhnikov.

I noticed that some top boards sometimes used carbon copy scoresheets. Maybe some of these games will be published in the future. The last round game between Gerzhoy and Sapozhnikov ended in a draw where both players were quite low on time, in a position that seemed very rich for analyzes. Would love to replay that game.

It seems to me that overall, everyone or definitely most were quite pleased with the tournament. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the volunteers who made this event possible: Gordon Gooding, Bob Gillanders, Mikhail Egorov & Garvin Nunes.
                  Furthermore, hats off for their integrity in following what was advertised and not succumbing to pressure from people with 'special requests'.
                  As I understand it, there was no contract or promise to provide chesstalkers with coverage of the event, as there shouldn't be. These guys had their hands full!
                  To all the armchair critics on chesstalk: You want a professionally run tournament with all your needs met? Do it! ...and I'll make an effort to be there.

Great tournament, great weekend, great moments! Thank you.

The Ontario Open falls to NOCL to organize in 2012, and there are some plans in motion to have in Thunder Bay.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Yep.My thanks and appreciation to the organizers the tournament was a blast! (Nice post Alex....especially after the conversation about how organizers don't get enough appreciation.).

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                      As I understand it, there was no contract or promise to provide chesstalkers with coverage of the event, as there shouldn't be.
                      While nobody asked for a coverage but a simple post of results would have been much appreciated.

A post from a chesstalker #2 :D

Comment

As the outgoing secretary can you at least tell us who is on the incoming Executive? :)
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Rebecca Giblon in round 6 produced a game agianst myself that caused all most everyone in the room to go into laughing fit including myself and Rebecca.

Rebecca Giblon v Lee Hendon

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Nd5 Nxd5 8.
                          exd5 Ne7 9.c4 a6? 10.Qa4! Bd7?? (of course winning the knight snice it is pinned to the
                          queen oops!) 11.Nxd6# *

Last edited by Lee Hendon; Wednesday, 25th May, 2011, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Keep those Ontario Open games coming - so far we have 2 out of the 180 or so played! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
                              I prefer to think of it as a comeback ;)
                              I think I was only lost between moves 6 and 10...

For the fans:

Brammall - Gashgarian

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. d4 Bb4 5. d5 Nb8 6. Nxe5 Qe7 7. Nd3 Qxe4+ 8. Be2 O-O 9. O-O Bxc3 10. bxc3 Qc4 11. d6 cxd6 12. Nf4 Qc5 13. Be3 Qe5 14. Rb1 Ne4 15. Nd5 Nxc3 16. Nxc3 Qxc3 17. Bd4 Qc7 18. Bd3 Nc6

19. Bxh7+ Kxh7 20. Qh5+ Kg8 21. Bxg7 Kxg7 22. Qg5+ Kh8 23. Rb3 1 - 0
                              Very nice Stu!

Comment

Working...
                              X