Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ontario Open... lack of news

Originally posted by Walter De Jong View Post
    Stuart Brammall's bright red chess pieces are visible in the lower left corner. He used them to good effect to swindle Rob Gashgarian in the last round....
    Stuart - the lighthouse keeper called, fog rolling in, he needs his chess pieces back! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Stuart - the lighthouse keeper called, fog rolling in, he needs his chess pieces back! :D
      come out to Vancouver Island, play in the Bowser LIGHTHOUSE Open, and you will have these beauties to play on: http://bowserchess.pbworks.com/w/pag...hess-Equipment

Comment

C'mon guys, the biggest news about this year's Ontario Open has to be the fact that I, a lowly 1357 player, defeated Noritsyn in Round One and then Jesus in Round Four! :D It's funny because it's true. Seriously though, the event was extremely well run and the volunteers were very helpful.

I must recommend Mohawk College for anyone going to an event in Hamilton. It was clean and modern and provided us with basically a two-bedroom apartment at an extremely affordable rate. I spent the weekend with three great chess players that I had never met before Friday. I must congratulate Dan Coren, Ryan Gonsalves, and Mike Ivanov for putting up with me. As a guy who has never really studied chess other than the Philidor's Defence, I must say I learned so much about the game from these bright young players.

Ivanov's (rated 2100) knowledge of the game is astounding and he's only 15 years old! Coren (rated 1800) is rising quickly through the ranks and had a 15-move Smother Mate early in the tournament. That reminds me, Lee Hendon has got to win the most sportsmanlike player award for making more fun of his Smother Mate loss than anyone. Gonsalves (unrated) was playing in his first event and his knowledge is also staggering. Whenever we went over our games, these three guys didn't even need their scoresheets as reference! It boggles my mind how they (and most players) can do this.

As for me, the trip from Ottawa was well worth it as I met so many great people! Oh, and I played really well (except Round Five to the eventual winner of my section Zhanna Sametova) winning four of my six battles including one in just 14 moves. It was nice to be able to put faces to many of the names I see here on ChessTalk. Too many names to mention here, but a big 'Thanks' to everyone who took time to chat with me.
        Last edited by Billy Carroll; Wednesday, 25th May, 2011, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I feel I had one of my better Tournaments for a while.
          I thought I had a good shot at a prize when I started the event and I started out well until I met my Friend Henry Grayson.
          Henry and I have played probably 100+ number of games mostly competitive.
          He offered me a draw but I wanted to wait until one board finished but
          then I tried to complicate a drawn game and blundered.I got to play what I had prepared, although I did change up in Round 5 and could only obtain a draw.
          Henry went on to tie for second and third in the U1600 while I went down in flames after this loss.

Congrats to the Organizers and I do feel that all organizers never get a chance to enjoy their events or get the thanks that they do deserve. But as far as I saw there were no real big problems that could not be solved quickly.
          One suggestion please get a better coffee maker so I won't have to get it working at your next event ;-).

I did come home a winner in the end as I won the door prize Mega Database 2009 with 4 million games. Hopefully one of my games will make it in a data base one day.

I also made some new chess contacts picked up a couple of more updated books on my openings and as usual our lunches were always full of going over our games from previous Rounds. It is amazing what others see in your game that you never even seem to see over the board.

The rest between Rounds made it more enjoyable and pleasant as we never had to eat and run to get back to the site.

I had only one minor complaint about the positioning of sections after day one.
          Unless we went to the postings you could not quickly tell where one section ended and another started. I think because of the space the organizers could have left a space between the Last board of the one section and the First board of the next.

This makes the site more user friendly for spectators to see who is leading each section.

I was disappointed with the lack of Toronto and Hamilton players at this Ontario Open. I guess playing within an easy travel distance does not attract players like it used to.
          I do feel that gas prices did effect the turnout as that added cost plus accommodation expenses for out of towners is a factor.
          With such a low turnout I do feel that the prize distribution was not perfect but hey what ever is at a chess tournament.

I'm not sure if I'll be in Thunder Bay next year but that's a long time from now.
          From a Chesstalker who supports chess events.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Stuart:

Quite nice - I wouldn't call it a " swindle ".

Bob
            Nice combo--Lasker's double bishop sacrifice.

Comment

I may be a bit biased due to having the best tournament performance of my life. But I thoroughly enjoyed the tournament, it was quite enjoyable.
              University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                As the outgoing secretary can you at least tell us who is on the incoming Executive? :)
                I guess not :p
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Thank you everyone for kind words about our tournament. It is great to hear everyone had a good time. :D

As for the OCA meeting, it was productive (ie. the leagues got their rebate cheques). I attended the meeting but I was in and out frequently as I was also a floater in the tournament. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X