Discouraging GM Draws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discouraging GM Draws

We all know that draws sometime happen in chess (a lot).
    No one has a big problem with this. What really gets annoying is when GMs agree to draws without a chess fight first.

I think an idea for the WC candidate matches is this:

First to score 3 (or some such) points wins.
    Draws with white score 0.4, while black gets 0.6. White has an advantage by playing first, so this creates incentive to avoid draws with white.

Even outside of the world championship the idea of draws having different values for colours should help. Players will still agree early draws, but it should happen less this way.

I think this is a more effective disincentive than the Sofia rules, even though they wouldn't be mutually exclusive.

What do you think of the idea of different scores for draws based on colour played?

Re: Discouraging GM Draws

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    What do you think of the idea of different scores for draws based on colour played?
    There are simpler ways to achieve the same goal, but without altering the scoring system, which would confuse people trying to follow the scoretables. For example, in a match, draw-odds could be given to the player having Black in the last game. This would force one player to play to win before this happens. In the old world championship matches, the champion had draw odds which now makes a lot of sense. Thus one player had to win !
    In the current candidate matches both players could play for a draw without losing anything.
    One guy had a brilliant idea : they should have played the tie-break games (rapid and blitz) BEFORE the classical games to determine draw odds ! In this way the classical games would have been fighting games, instead of the tie break fast games !

Comment

I read that idea Jean, and agree it's a good one. Yet top players (e.g. Kramnik) claim that if the white side wants a draw he can usually get it regardless of black's intentions. (And yet, how many examples don't we have of black winning a critical game of a match?) Which means, if draw-odds are in favor of the white player, a short draw is likely. Then a well fought game should follow.

I think part of the trouble is when players like Kramnik pre-analyze a line to a forced draw. If then the game heads in that direction, they may jockey for moves that could lead to an edge, but if the opponent chooses right, the chosen line leads to a draw, both players know it (having seen before either that exact line or a very similar one), and rather than play it out, they call it a day.

I don't see any way out other than to enter a chess game where the players don't have the draw prefigured through analysis.

Comment

In your example, Denton, after six draws, both players reach 3 points at the same time. So I don't see the beef.

At the GM Slugfest the BAP score system was used: 3 for winning with Black, 2 for winning with White, 1 for drawing with Black, 0 any of the other three possibilities. As it turned out, all of the top ten finishers recognized "the inevitable", that a draw is sometimes the right result, while the bottom four all avoided draws entirely.

Sofia rules, biddable rapid Armageddon, playing the tiebreak in advance, Fischerrandom Chess (as suggested by Grischuk himself), or combinations, are all ways to put a downward pressure on the number of draws, while reducing the chances of deciding matters by Blitz or by chance.

Comment

Alternate scoring systems work for tournaments but can't help matches.

Comment

Working...
          X