New membership dues & rating fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New membership dues & rating fees

I have the very unpleasant task of advising everyone that effective June 1, 2011, our membership dues and rating fees are being increased due to taxes. :(

As a consequence of the loss of our charitable tax status, we are now required to charge HST/GST on our membership dues and rating fees. This change took place effective February 1, 2011. We have absorbed this cost to date, but it is now time to adjust our dues accordingly. The governors were advised of this pending change at the April 2011 quarterly meeting.

You will find the new rates in the same post on the CFC discussion board under news. The PDF file will not upload to chesstalk for some reason (file too big). It will be posted on the cfc website this wednesday with the regular rating update.

The effective date is June 1, 2011. To allow for an easy transition, we will accept membership renewals until June 7th at the old rates, as well as for any tournaments begun before June 1st.

Bob Gillanders
    ---------------
    I (Larry Bevand) have posted the new rates below at:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5122
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 31st May, 2011, 03:30 PM.

Re: New membership dues & rating fees

Only 7 days advance notice??? Com'on..

Also can you just post how much the increase is going to be? Right I'm paying $43 for Ontario Adult.

Comment

New Rates Posted Here

Chess Federation of Canada
      Membership dues and rating fees
      Effective June 1, 2011 with HST
      -*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐old rates-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐ -*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐-*‐new rates-*‐-*‐-*
      Membership dues with tax included New rating fees (Tx Included)
      Province .........Adult Junior... Adult.. Junior
      British Columbia. $40 $27......$3.36....$0.56
      Alberta ............$43 $28......$3.15....$0.53
      Saskatchewan...$45 $26......$3.15.....$0.53
      Manitoba..........$51 $35......$3.15.....$0.53
      Ontario.............$48 $30......$3.39....$0.57
      Quebec............$38 $25.......$3.15....$0.53
      New Brunswick..$46 $30.......$3.39....$0.57
      Nova Scotia.....$48 $31........$3.45....$0.58
      P.E.I...............$38 $25.........$3.15....$0.53
      NL..................$44 $29.........$3.39....$0.57
      NWT,Yuk,Nun...$38 $25..........$3.15...$0.53
      Foreign...........$36 $24..........$3.00....$0.50

Membership rates have been rounded to the nearest dollar as a courtesy to members and TD's.
      Ratung fees noted above apply only when submitted with SwissSys program.
      Rating fees without SwissSys files are $5 for adult and and $2.50 for junior tournaments plus taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
        Only 7 days advance notice??? Com'on..

Also can you just post how much the increase is going to be? Right I'm paying $43 for Ontario Adult.
        According to the PDF doc that CFC board members can download, Josh, $48. Unfortunately, Chesstalk is not html- or pre- friendly. Just noticed that Larry posted the new rates with reasonable formatting. Thank you, Larry!

So, membership cost increases of 5% to 15%. The fees themselves could be reduced because now HST expenses can be recouped. I have a feeling, though, that the % amount is negligible. Recoup the HST on an air ticket to Khanty-Mansiysk?? I suppose the hugest question is whether CFC is now paying a fee plus HST (recoupable) for management, or whether it is not paying HST, for example, if it is paying wages directly to the manager.

I notice that in Britain, tournament entry fees are VAT (their equivalent of GST/HST) -able. If that is in the cards for chess, it will add a paper burden for organizers, perhaps a camel's-back-breaking-straw burden. It's at time like these that you wish the Provincial chess Associations were stronger--they could be running the tournaments.

I'm still guessing that the cancellation of the CFC's charitable status was in the nature of a settlement. I doubt that most of us will ever know.

Comment

Re: New Rates Posted Here

Province .........Adult Junior... Adult Tax.. Junior Tax
          British Columbia..$40 ... $27......$3.36....$0.56
          Alberta ..........$43 ... $28......$3.15....$0.53
          Saskatchewan......$45 ... $26......$3.15.....$0.53
          Manitoba..........$51 ... $35......$3.15.....$0.53
          Ontario...........$48 ... $30......$3.39....$0.57
          Quebec............$38 ... $25......$3.15....$0.53
          New Brunswick.....$46 ... $30......$3.39....$0.57
          Nova Scotia.......$48 ... $31......$3.45....$0.58
          P.E.I.............$38 ... $25......$3.15....$0.53
          NL................$44 ... $29......$3.39....$0.57
          NWT,Yuk,Nun.......$38 ... $25......$3.15....$0.53
          Foreign...........$36 ... $24......$3.00....$0.50

Comment

Re: New Rates Posted Here

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
            Province .........Adult Junior... Adult Tax.. Junior Tax
            British Columbia..$40 ... $27......$3.36....$0.56
            Alberta ..........$43 ... $28......$3.15....$0.53
            Saskatchewan......$45 ... $26......$3.15.....$0.53
            Manitoba..........$51 ... $35......$3.15.....$0.53
            Ontario...........$48 ... $30......$3.39....$0.57
            Quebec............$38 ... $25......$3.15....$0.53
            New Brunswick.....$46 ... $30......$3.39....$0.57
            Nova Scotia.......$48 ... $31......$3.45....$0.58
            P.E.I.............$38 ... $25......$3.15....$0.53
            NL................$44 ... $29......$3.39....$0.57
            NWT,Yuk,Nun.......$38 ... $25......$3.15....$0.53
            Foreign...........$36 ... $24......$3.00....$0.50
            Awesome...care to share :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

I notice that in Britain, tournament entry fees are VAT (their equivalent of GST/HST) -able. If that is in the cards for chess, it will add a paper burden for organizers, perhaps a camel's-back-breaking-straw burden. It's at time like these that you wish the Provincial chess Associations were stronger--they could be running the tournaments....

The question was recently asked of me about wether it is necessary to collect HST on tournament entry fees. So, I did look it up. Basically, if you are a small organization, you don't have to. Small is defined as <$30K in revenues for a business, <$50K for a non profit. Maybe an organizer who does many tournaments + the Canadian Open has in principle to think about it although he could probably claim they are all separate things under the limit.

There are also other exemptions for gambling and sporting events where the participants are not professionals that may also apply.

I have put in a request for info on whether the CFC is planning to charge HST on provincial dues - shouldn't have to as we are all under the limit. If they do, then I guess we stop funneling those amounts through the CFC.

ccra document: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4081/rc4081-10e.pdf
              Last edited by Roger Patterson; Tuesday, 31st May, 2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Re: New membership dues &amp; rating fees

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                The question was recently asked of me about wether it is necessary to collect HST on tournament entry fees. So, I did look it up. Basically, if you are a small organization, you don't have to. Small is defined as <$30K in revenues for a business, <$50K for a non profit. Maybe an organizer who does many tournaments + the Canadian Open has in principal to think about it although he could probably claim they are all separate things under the limit.

There are also other exemptions for gambling and sporting events where the participants are not professionals that may also apply.

I have put in a request for info on whether the CFC is planning to charge HST on provincial dues - shouldn't have to as we are all under the limit. If they do, then I guess we stop funneling those amounts through the CFC.

ccra document: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4081/rc4081-10e.pdf
                Hi Roger,

I would be interested in knowing the answer.

This summer in Toronto we have partnered with a for-profit group to offer chess lessons for kids and the production of a decorative chess set out of clay. The way I treated it was that our portion was not taxable but the clay portion was. One always tries to work within the rules...and whenever I get a decision...I want it in writing...just in case :).

In my mind...since the provincial fees is being passed on to the provincial organization...it is not taxable...but this stuff is not obvious...even to those who have to interpret the laws :)

Larry

Comment

could you add the amounts due for Tournament Memberships?

Comment

could you add the amounts due for Tournament Memberships?
                    No change. Tournament memberships remains as $20/ $10. :)

Comment

We are not charging any HST on provincial dues. I made the assumption that all our provincial partners were under the limit and thus not required to collect tax. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        No change. Tournament memberships remains as $20/ $10. :)
                        We are absorbing the extra cost on these.

Comment

Working...
                        X