Windsor resident takes Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windsor resident takes Jamaica

Denton Cockburn is currently pursuing a PhD in Computer Science at U of Windsor, and studying chess in his spare time.

Originally posted by chessbase
    Cockburn, Jamaican-born but living in Canada, had played confidently and solidly throughout the event notching wins in the process against Michael Diedrick, Melisha Smith and Peter Thomas, respectively. He also had draws against Ian Wilkinson and Zachary Ramsay to remain unbeaten on 4.0/5 entering the final round but then he met "Dougnik". The veteran player thwarted Cockburn's chances of winning the event outright by recording a famous win after sacrificing two rooks in a thrilling Sicilian Najdorf.
    Full article on the Jamaican national championship, and the above game:
    http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7267

Re: Windsor resident takes Jamaica

Does someone know where to get a copy of the game?

Double rook sacrifices leading to a win are extremely rare. The only other double rook sacrifice that i know about is the fantastic win of former Scarborough champion John Hall agaisnt the now WIM YUanling in a regular swiss tournament at the SCC, way back in 2008(?).

In that game, John Hall, playing black in a Ruy Lopez game, set up a winning combination by sacrificing 2 rooks for 2 minor pieces, setting up the winning attack on the white king.

Comment

on the linked page. the playback area lets you choose among 3 games.

Comment

[Event "Natl Qual, HWT Ent. Centre"]
        [Site "?"]
        [Date "2011.05.22"]
        [Round "6.1"]
        [White "Markland Douglas"]
        [Black "Denton Cockburn"]
        [Result "1-0"]
        [ECO "B90"]
        [WhiteElo "1965"]
        [BlackElo "2226"]
        [Annotator "Wilkinson, Ian"]
        [PlyCount "61"]
        [EventDate "2011.??.??"]
        [SourceDate "2011.04.07"]

{"DOUGNIK" CHECKMATES THE FAVOURITE IN THE GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT! After a
        tough first half, Markland "Dougnik" Douglas played well in the second half of
        a tournament held to give players a chance to qualify for the 2011 Jamaica
        (national) Chess Championship. The veteran player produced an excellent game
        in the final round to defeat the rating favourite Denton Cockburn (pronounced
        "COE-BURN") who was playing his first chess tournament in Jamaica. Cockburn,
        Jamaican-born but living in Canada, had played confidently and solidly
        throughout the event notching wins in the process against Michael Diedrick,
        Melisha Smith and Peter Thomas, respectively. He also had draws against Ian
        Wilkinson and Zachary Ramsay to remain unbeaten on 4.0/5 entering the final
        round but then he met "Dougnik". The veteran player thwarted Cockburn's
        chances of winning the event outright by recording a famous win after
        sacrificing two rooks in a thrilling Sicilian Najdorf. Enjoy!} 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3
        d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 {The well-travelled Sicilian Najdorf. The
        irony of this game is that after Douglas faced Zachary's Najdorf in the first
        round and lost a hardfought contest, Cockburn joined in the post-mortem and
        was showing Douglas how he could have improved his play!} 6. f3 {
        Markland likes to castle long and pawn storm a la the English Attack.} e5 7.
        Nb3 Be6 8. Be3 Nbd7 9. Qd2 b5 10. Be2 Be7 11. Nd5 {[#]} ({I suggested to
        "Dougnik" during the above-mentioned post mortem that, in my humble opinion.
        he should delay the Nd5 thrust. More in the spirit of the position was} 11. g4
        $5 {and in a fairly recent game Black won after} Nb6 12. g5 Nh5 13. Nd5 Nxd5
        14. exd5 Bd7 15. O-O-O a5 16. f4 a4 17. Nc5 Nxf4 18. Bxf4 exf4 19. Nxd7 Qxd7
        20. Qxf4 O-O 21. h4 b4 22. Kb1 Qc7 23. Bd3 a3 24. h5 f5 25. Bxf5 Qa7 26. b3 Qc5
        27. Rh3 Kh8 28. Qg4 Rae8 29. Bg6 Rf2 30. Qe4 Ref8 31. Qxe7 Qd4 {
        0-1 Kozlov,G (2265) -Chernobai,A (2398)/Dagomys 2009/CBM 129 Extra}) 11... Bxd5
        12. exd5 Nb6 13. Bxb6 Qxb6 14. O-O-O a5 $146 {[#]My database indicates that
        this is a novelty and what seems to be a quite decent one. Also good for Black
        is} (14... O-O 15. Qd3 Rfc8 $17 {
        when the second player's position looks to be easily preferable.}) ({
        Seen before was} 14... h6 15. g4 Nxg4 16. Kb1 Nf2 17. Rhg1 Nxd1 18. Qxd1 g6 19.
        Bd3 Rg8 20. Qf1 Qe3 21. Rg2 Qb6 22. f4 Bf6 23. Qe2 O-O-O 24. fxe5 Bxe5 25. Qg4+
        Kb8 26. h3 a5 27. a4 h5 28. Qh4 g5 29. Qe4 f5 30. Qe1 bxa4 31. Qxa5 Qxa5 32.
        Nxa5 Rdf8 33. Nc6+ Kc7 34. Ne7 f4 35. Nxg8 Rxg8 36. Bf5 Bd4 37. Rd2 Be3 38. Rd1
        f3 39. Rf1 f2 40. c3 g4 41. hxg4 hxg4 42. Kc2 g3 {
        0-1 Zuluaga,M-Zea,J/ Medellin 2010/CBM 135 Extra}) 15. Qd3 Rb8 16. g4 {
        [#]Douglas played this move immediately. I could hardly concentrate on my game
        as the outcome of this game would determine the top placings and I was willing
        Dougnik on after earlier telling him that he was the last chance to "rough up"
        the "visitor".} O-O {This per se does not appear to be losing but after the
        game I told Cockburn that I did not like that he "castled into it" in this
        position. The engines like the immediate 16...a4! when Black seems to have the
        initiative.} 17. h4 Nd7 18. Qf5 {The idea behind this move, as will soon be
        apparent, is to clear the d3 square for the Be2.} Qc7 19. g5 a4 20. Nd2 b4 21.
        h5 b3 22. axb3 {[#]} axb3 $4 {This was a blunder. Black had to play 22... Nc5
        (with a dynamic balance) to get ready to capture the Bishop if it took up its
        sniper's post on d3. For example, 22...Nc5! 23.Bd3 Nxd3+ (23...g6! is also
        very strong for Black in this position) 24.Qxd3 axb3 with a clear advantage to
        the second player. Denton was now in serious trouble.} 23. c3 $2 {
        [#]Markland returned the favour.} ({White seems to be well on top after} 23.
        Bd3 $1 g6 $8 24. hxg6 Nc5 25. g7 Nxd3+ 26. Qxd3 Qxc2+ 27. Qxc2 Rfc8 28. Qxc8+
        Rxc8+ 29. Kb1 $18) 23... Rfc8 24. Bd3 Nf8 {
        [#]This appears to be the best way to hold up the crumbling barricades.} 25. g6
        $1 {[#]Looking on I was telepathically willing Douglas to play this move that,
        objectively, sets Black some serious problems to solve. Another strong option
        was} (25. f4 $5 {when Black can try to generate his own threats with} Qa5 26.
        Ne4 Qa1+ (26... Qxd5 $6 27. Nf6+ $1 Bxf6 28. gxf6 g6 29. hxg6 fxg6 30. Qh3 $36)
        27. Bb1 $1 g6 $132) 25... h6 $4 {Reeling under the unrelenting pressure from
        Dougnik Cockburn goes astray and blunders. He would not recover.} ({
        The computers say that Black had to play} 25... fxg6 26. hxg6 hxg6 27. Qg4 Qa5
        28. Nb1 Bf6 29. Rh2 g5 30. Rdh1 Kf7 31. Be4 Ra8 $132 {
        with chances for each player.}) 26. gxf7+ $1 {
        Douglas now conducts the rest of the attack flawlessly.} Kh8 27. Rdg1 {
        This is natural and powerful. Markland was now leaning forward over the board
        his eyes all aglow! The scent of blood had actually got stronger.} ({
        Looking on I liked} 27. Ne4 $5 $18 {bringing another piece to attack.}) 27...
        Qa5 {[#]} 28. Rxg7 $3 {Boom... baff...baddaffff!!!! The double "exclam" is
        given for, inter alia, the audacity and aesthetics of the rook sacrifice that
        is absolutely correct and wins crushingly.} Kxg7 {
        The only option to delay the death blow was the desperado} (28... Rxc3+ {
        but the result is not in doubt after} 29. bxc3 Qxc3+ 30. Kd1 Qa1+ 31. Nb1 $18)
        29. Rg1+ $1 Bg5 {A sad necessity as 29...Kh8 runs into 30. Rg8 mate!} 30. Rxg5+
        {"Ain't no stopping us now..."!} hxg5 31. h6+ $1 {[#]Correctly played by
        Dougnik who then left the board, probably to calm his nerves. There was still
        time for Markland to go wrong with 31.Qxg5?? as after 31...Kxf7 32.Bxg6+ Nxg6
        33.Qxg6+ Ke7 34.Qe6+ Kd8 35.Qxd6+ Ke8 36.Qe6+, White has to settle for a draw
        via perpetual check. Cockburn stopped the clock and shook his head wistfully
        appreciating that he is mated after 31.. Kxh6 32.Qf6+ Kh5 33.Qh8+ Nh7 34.Qxh7#.
        An excellent win by Markland in what I thought was the game of the tournament.}
        1-0

Comment

Nice tourney victory for Denton, its hard to go wire to wire. I think he won another tourney down there as well, talk about a nice vacation.

Comment

[Event "Scarborough CC Early Summer"]
            [Site "Toronto CAN"]
            [Date "2008.06.05"]
            [Round "5"]
            [White "Yuan, Yuanling"]
            [Black "Hall, John"]
            [Result "0-1"]
            [ECO "C92"]
            [WhiteElo "2218"]
            [BlackElo "2196"]
            [PlyCount "70"]
            [EventDate "2008.05.08"]
            [EventType "swiss"]
            [EventRounds "8"]
            [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Bc4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3
            O-O 9. h3 Bb7 10. d4 Qd7 11. Nbd2 Rae8 12. Nf1 exd4 13. cxd4 Na5 14. Bc2 d5 15.
            e5 Ne4 16. Bf4 f5 17. Qc1 c5 18. Ng3 Nc6 19. Ne2 Rc8 20. Rd1 cxd4 21. Nexd4 Nb4
            22. Qb1 Nxc2 23. Nxc2 g5 24. Be3 g4 25. hxg4 fxg4 26. Nfd4 Bh4 27. Rf1 Qf7 28.
            Qe1 Qh5 29. g3 Rxc2 30. Nxc2 d4 31. Bf4 Bg5 32. Nxd4 Rxf4 33. f3 Rxf3 34. Nxf3
            gxf3 35. Rd1 f2+ 0-1

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
              Double rook sacrifices leading to a win are extremely rare.
              Not that rare.

Take My Rooks by Minev and Seirawan. 136 games. And that's just the passive form of the double-rook sacrifice. Even I have a game in the book (but I had an in with the authors, :) ). Crikey, 20 years, it's hard to believe that time has flown so.

PS. John Hall sacrificed the Exchange three times (the middle one could not be taken because of mate next move) while "Dougnik" sacrificed a rook (for a pawn), then the Exchange. They're both nice games, of course, but the purest form of a double rook sacrifice would be where no material is gained for either rook (though I do admit that a book with a hundred Rh1-h8+ Re1-h1-h8+ Qd1-h1-h7 mate games would get boring). The second purest would be where the sacrificer gains no more than a pawn for each rook.

There was a game at the old Mount Pleasant Chess Club where a young Peter Biyiasas was unhanded of both rooks by the wily Colin Aykroyd, only to find that in the endgame somehow Biyiasas's two knights were stronger than his two rooks. I wonder if the moves of that game are preserved anywhere. That would qualify as a "double rook sacrifice" in this thread.
              Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Monday, 6th June, 2011, 02:57 PM. Reason: looked at games

Comment

Hi John,

I view a sacrifice, in this case, a rook sacrifice, as surrendering a rook, that is 5 points, to something that is of lesser value, say 3 points for a minor piece, or 1 point for a pawn, or 0 points for tactical/positional gains.

The way i understand it, you are fascinated by a rook sacrifice with 0 point gain = which is the highest level of the sacrifce.

In reality, 3 levels exist.

Best regards, Erwin C.

Comment

While this is all good news, it really does suck that my only game on display from my 2 tournaments is a loss :)

I've been really unimpressed with the games I played, which I assume to be a good sign. I'm not proud enough of any of them to show them in full, but I'll show some of the positions and moves.

Bc6!! which is winning in all lines.

and in another game.

where Rxc6! is a forced win.

Still, my opponents could have played a lot better in all games, so I'm not proud.

My overall results for the 12 games I played here in Jamaica (2 tourneys):
                  +7 =3 -2

The thing that sucks about chess is that I'm more upset about those 2 losses than happy about the 7 wins. The one shown on Chessbase was my worst one though, just a really poorly played game.

Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                    I view a sacrifice, in this case, a rook sacrifice, as surrendering a rook, that is 5 points, to something that is of lesser value, say 3 points for a minor piece, or 1 point for a pawn, or 0 points for tactical/positional gains.
                    Erwin, we already have a word for one of those, the Exchange (in Spanish la calidad, French la qualité, Russian kachestvo качество ...). I may even have a Russian book on the subject, entitled The Double Exchange Sacrifice, Жертва Двух Качеств (or some such). Or one could "sacrifice" both rooks for the opponent's queen, or for three minor pieces (I've done both). The net value of that sacrifice is 1 point. Does it come out as a "double rook sacrifice" and as "extremely rare"? No, it's more of a "trade" than a "sacrifice". I'm reminded of the story of the kid who comes into the skittles room and says "I sacrificed my queen and won". You get him to show you the game, and it turns out that he "sacrificed" the queen for two rooks and won in the most pedestrian of ways. The next time the same kid comes into the skittles room and says "I sacrificed {whatever} and won", you probably don't interrupt what you were doing. Even if {whatever} is "both rooks".

I thought that the triple Exchange sacrifice made that other game almost as rare as a true two rook (for a pawn or three) sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn

My overall results for the 12 games I played here in Jamaica (2 tourneys):
                      +7 =3 -2

The thing that sucks about chess is that I'm more upset about those 2 losses than happy about the 7 wins.

Denton
                      Congrats on the good score! Yet I think it's unfair of you to blame chess for You being upset with your losses!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        Erwin, we already have a word for one of those, the Exchange (in Spanish la calidad, French la qualité, Russian kachestvo качество ...). I may even have a Russian book on the subject, entitled The Double Exchange Sacrifice, Жертва Двух Качеств (or some such). Or one could "sacrifice" both rooks for the opponent's queen, or for three minor pieces (I've done both). The net value of that sacrifice is 1 point. Does it come out as a "double rook sacrifice" and as "extremely rare"? No, it's more of a "trade" than a "sacrifice". I'm reminded of the story of the kid who comes into the skittles room and says "I sacrificed my queen and won". You get him to show you the game, and it turns out that he "sacrificed" the queen for two rooks and won in the most pedestrian of ways. The next time the same kid comes into the skittles room and says "I sacrificed {whatever} and won", you probably don't interrupt what you were doing. Even if {whatever} is "both rooks".

I thought that the triple Exchange sacrifice made that other game almost as rare as a true two rook (for a pawn or three) sacrifice.
                        Hi John, i learned a lot from you. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                        X