Team Championship of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Championship of Canada

I am wondering if we could get a Team Championship going in Canada. If we could get 6 teams to play over FICS, e.g., do you think we could get started? I wouldn’t want to be fancy, just get 4 people in various cities to agree to play 5 games. I know Tony Ficzere has challenged teams from Calgary in the past (and had a couple of matches), but response to his challenges has been almost non-existent.

I am prepared to put up a fee for an organizer to plan, schedule, teach FICS, report to the CFC for ratings purposes over 5 weekends (not necessarily sequential). I am prepared to pay rating fees for the CFC (FIDE won’t rate internet games). Assuming a reasonable fee, I would pay for an internet connection (is one enough for a match or would 4 be required?). I am prepared to put some more money up as a prize fund, but, would probably need another one or two donations to get a sufficient prize fund. Should any prize fund go to the club or be split among the players? How much should the prize fund be and how should it be awarded?

I think each team would have to have an independent referee present at the match site in each city. Would we have to compensate a referee? (Logistics may be a problem here.) Because of the time difference between the East and West coasts, I think weekend games, most likely Sundays would be required.

Am I dreaming in technicolor? Opinions would be welcome.

Re: Team Championship of Canada

US League Rules:

Here's a weekend's worth of reading to see what might be useful here.
    http://www.uschessleague.com/rules.html

I hadn't realized this, but they aren't allowed to field a team > 2400.75 (based on ratings locked in at the start of the season) for any given match.

The minimum for a match is 2250, but we probably couldn't hold to that here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      US League Rules:

I hadn't realized this, but they aren't allowed to field a team > 2400.75 (based on ratings locked in at the start of the season) for any given match.
      The profile of a winning USCL team is the three strongest players they can lay their hands on, plus an underrated junior (down to about 1700) who will grow in strength during the season.

I love FICS, but ICC might have scripts to facilitate the kinds of match that the USCL holds, and they might be willing to do this as a promo, i.e., no $. I should think that the most difficult part of the organization would be on the ground, at each site.

Thanks, Ken, for this suggestion and offer!

Comment

my experience is that people talk in the abstract about such events or allowing that technology say in the Canadian Closed but they themselves (and people in general) are not that interested in playing under those conditions. So, it is the armchair quarterback solution to travel distances but doesn't translate to reality except perhaps as a novelty one off.

Having said that, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
          I am wondering if we could get a Team Championship going in Canada. If we could get 6 teams to play over FICS, e.g., do you think we could get started? I wouldn’t want to be fancy, just get 4 people in various cities to agree to play 5 games. I know Tony Ficzere has challenged teams from Calgary in the past (and had a couple of matches), but response to his challenges has been almost non-existent.

I am prepared to put up a fee for an organizer to plan, schedule, teach FICS, report to the CFC for ratings purposes over 5 weekends (not necessarily sequential). I am prepared to pay rating fees for the CFC (FIDE won’t rate internet games). Assuming a reasonable fee, I would pay for an internet connection (is one enough for a match or would 4 be required?). I am prepared to put some more money up as a prize fund, but, would probably need another one or two donations to get a sufficient prize fund. Should any prize fund go to the club or be split among the players? How much should the prize fund be and how should it be awarded?

I think each team would have to have an independent referee present at the match site in each city. Would we have to compensate a referee? (Logistics may be a problem here.) Because of the time difference between the East and West coasts, I think weekend games, most likely Sundays would be required.

Am I dreaming in technicolor? Opinions would be welcome.
          Hi Ken,

GREAT!

I love your idea...could it be youngsters under 18 years old only, living within 30 km of the city :). I think the CMA would be on board for this. The 6 cities I would suggest: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa...and I will let you choose the two others (yes I do have preferences :)

I have to pass the idea along...but we just had a good year at CMA...so...I think it is doable in terms of logistics and funds :). Of course I would prefer gift certificates redeemable at Strategy Games as prizes...and that the event be CMA rated...looking at Mr Botez with a big smile now :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            I love your idea...could it be youngsters under 18 years old only, living within 30 km of the city :).
            :( That would not be good for the kids. Slow games could hurt their nervous system. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              :( That would not be good for the kids. Slow games could hurt their nervous system. :)
              I know Jean...it is a totally scary idea :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                I know Jean...it is a totally scary idea :)

Larry
                :( Are there some chances for such ... a Team Championship in Canada?

Comment

Hi Ken,

Good idea and good on you to want to make this a reality.

To move forward on this idea, I think the first thing is to hear from only those who can field a 4-player Team. After that:

1. Reach agreement on the following items:
                  - time control
                  - average rating maximum of the 4 players
                  - decided on if on FICS, ICC, etc.
                  - set dates/times (instead of once a week for 5 weeks, what about 2 games a day on Saturday and Sunday, and 1 game on the Friday night or Monday night?).
                  - TD requirements
                  - etc.

I am willing to form a 4-player Team from Vancouver.

Who else can form a Team?

Victoria

Comment

It appears a serious attempt by myself to set some ground rules (aka USCF) were already kidnapped by suggestions to turn it into a youth event.

No smilies.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
                      Hi Ken,

Good idea and good on you to want to make this a reality.

To move forward on this idea, I think the first thing is to hear from only those who can field a 4-player Team. After that:

1. Reach agreement on the following items:
                      - time control
                      - average rating maximum of the 4 players
                      - decided on if on FICS, ICC, etc.
                      - set dates/times (instead of once a week for 5 weeks, what about 2 games a day on Saturday and Sunday, and 1 game on the Friday night or Monday night?).
                      - TD requirements
                      - etc.

I am willing to form a 4-player Team from Vancouver.

Who else can form a Team?

Victoria
                      Probably a rating minimum is also a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        The profile of a winning USCL team is the three strongest players they can lay their hands on, plus an underrated junior (down to about 1700) who will grow in strength during the season.

I love FICS, but ICC might have scripts to facilitate the kinds of match that the USCL holds, and they might be willing to do this as a promo, i.e., no $. I should think that the most difficult part of the organization would be on the ground, at each site.

Thanks, Ken, for this suggestion and offer!
                        Public Libraries might be an option as playing site for each member of a team in terms of accessibility. FICS might be the chess server of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Probably a rating minimum is also a good idea.
                          It seems to me the rating guidelines should be worked out early... there's no point in a group of D players thinking of competing, if everyone else is thinking experts and masters.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            It seems to me the rating guidelines should be worked out early... there's no point in a group of D players thinking of competing, if everyone else is thinking experts and masters.
                            How about 2200 maximum rating with players over 2400 counting as 2400 to allow for teams to use the highest rated players (in US Chess League players over 2590 count as 2590 for the same reason).

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
                              Public Libraries might be an option as playing site for each member of a team in terms of accessibility. FICS might be the chess server of the tournament.
                              Grande Prairie used their public library for the match with Calgary when they clobbered us. Worked better at their end then it did at ours. We also used FICS.

The biggest problem with such a tournament will be how to control possible cheating. The only way I can see is to have a TD for each team onsite during the rounds. When money is involved, people will do silly things. Hey, they don't even need money to cheat on game servers, just an internet connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X