Confirming membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming membership

The CFC, when it receives payment for membership or for renewal, ought to send out a letter, postcard, or email stating:

a) Payment received
    b) Membership valid until _________
    c) How to get your newsletter

I have never received any of this from the CFC.

Re: Confirming membership

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
    The CFC, when it receives payment for membership or for renewal, ought to send out a letter, postcard, or email stating:

a) Payment received

I can see that someone new to the CFC might possibly be in the dark about this, so points well taken.

Item c) will be adressed, as the newsletter is e-mailed to you, monthly. On page two of the newsletter, the CFC web site is mentioned, where you can go to get your memberships and rating information.

Comment

a) Payment received

Renewal notices are sent out monthly via email. We don't waste money on stamps and envelopes. Send an email to info@chess.ca so the office has your email address and can send you our outstanding newsletter with superior Canadian content. :D

Comment

I did payment to renew a membership using Paypal in March.
        Received a Paypal confirmation "You just sent a payment to Chess Federation of Canada" blahblah
        After while other email came "CFC Membership Receipt" with an attached PDF file "Sales Receipt".
        Sometimes I bug T.Ficzere to send me a copy of the CFC NewsL. immediately when it is ready :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Renewal notices are sent out monthly via email. We don't waste money on stamps and envelopes. Send an email to info@chess.ca so the office has your email address and can send you our outstanding newsletter with superior Canadian content. :D
          I presume I need to also include my CFC number whatever that might be? The membership may have lapsed by now, I don't know.

Most people join the CFC at a tournament. Is there a form or something to collect info?

Comment

I presume I need to also include my CFC number whatever that might be? The membership may have lapsed by now, I don't know.

Most people join the CFC at a tournament. Is there a form or something to collect info?
            Competent organizers will still collect street addresses and e-mail addresses when you join. They submit these to the CFC.

If they don't collect your e-mail you won't hear from us.

We're revamping our website - for the time being you might find the following page interesting
            http://chess.ca/memberinfoSQL.asp?CFCN=121230

Comment

Very interesting, Fred. As for submitting emails, this form doesn't request that:
              http://chess.ca/membrprt.pdf
              I think if email isn't provided or not known, a postcard should be sent.

Comment

If you join at a tournament the TD should be giving you a receipt for the membership fees. It's not as big an issue anymore, but back when we went weeks in between ratings updates and many TDs used only the printed rating lists, you needed that as proof of membership.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Very interesting, Fred. As for submitting emails, this form doesn't request that:
                  http://chess.ca/membrprt.pdf
                  I think if email isn't provided or not known, a postcard should be sent.
                  Yes. Those forms are a bit antiquated.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                    If you join at a tournament the TD should be giving you a receipt for the membership fees. It's not as big an issue anymore, but back when we went weeks in between ratings updates and many TDs used only the printed rating lists, you needed that as proof of membership.
                    It's fine to get proof you paid from the TD. It's another thing to have the CFC contact you after.

Comment

It's fine to get proof you paid from the TD. It's another thing to have the CFC contact you after.
                      Does the CFC collect email addresses as part of the form that you fill out when joining? I know that the USCF does and they are fairly aggressive in letting me know via email about upcoming tournaments in my vicinity and well beyond. They are also very good about greeting you with a letter and a membership card when you join. They do their best to make people feel welcome.

I'm not saying that the CFC doesn't make people feel welcome only that the USCF seems to do a better job of it.

Comment

People should purchase Life memberships and render the problem moot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          People should purchase Life memberships and render the problem moot.
                          Alternately, don't renew your membership. Cheaper, too. :D

Comment

And far less community minded. I have a Life membership yet have not played a CFC rated game in a decade. My money continues to support the Federation.
                            Last edited by Ken Craft; Tuesday, 21st June, 2011, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                              Alternately, don't renew your membership. Cheaper, too. :D
                              John:

That's kind of funny coming from a Life Member

:)

Comment

Working...
                              X