Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inside Job

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Are you worried they won't have enough money to send us for all the oil we send them?
    I am worried that once we build the proposed pipeline to bring tar sands oil to refineries in Texas, it will no longer be financially viable. Tar sands oil production is very expensive and incredibly harmful to the environment and our health. Eventually, the world will wake up and move towards alternative energy sources (solar, wind, geothermal, etc).

If by then, we have invested huge sums in these mega projects, the pressure will be enormous to continue pumping tar sands oil even if it no longer makes any sense, just to justify building the pipelines. As usual, short term thinking will be our downfall. Much better to work towards long term solutions now, even if there is a short term cost.

Comment

Hey, I just caught this headline on the TV,

US sues big banks over mortgage losses. :D
      Yes, finally something being done.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-...ses-2011-09-02

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        ... Tar sands oil production is very expensive and incredibly harmful to the environment and our health. ...
        Bob, for an interesting perspective on the oil sands from the 'the dark side', I recommend Ezra Levant's "Ethical Oil".
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I am worried that once we build the proposed pipeline to bring tar sands oil to refineries in Texas, it will no longer be financially viable. Tar sands oil production is very expensive and incredibly harmful to the environment and our health. Eventually, the world will wake up and move towards alternative energy sources (solar, wind, geothermal, etc).

If by then, we have invested huge sums in these mega projects, the pressure will be enormous to continue pumping tar sands oil even if it no longer makes any sense, just to justify building the pipelines. As usual, short term thinking will be our downfall. Much better to work towards long term solutions now, even if there is a short term cost.

Who is the "we" to which you refer? I thought it was private companies building the pipeline and getting the income. Personally, I think we should be refining it here and sell PSC (Premium Synthetic Crude) to the Americans. However, it seems they want to refine it to provide jobs in their country.

I take it you know much of the electricity produced in the U.S. is from coal. More than half, particularly in the Southern U.S.

I figure the pipeline will get built. The Americans want the oil and they want the jobs from building the portion in the U.S. They have quite a high unemployment rate in the U.S.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hey, I just caught this headline on the TV,

US sues big banks over mortgage losses. :D
            Yes, finally something being done.
            It gets paid in money. I suspect after years of litigation they will write cheques. The U.S. government is going after bank profits. In the meantime, U.S. banks will continue to be a bad investment. Be interesting to see if investors bail out on Tuesday.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Who is the "we" to which you refer? I thought it was private companies building the pipeline and getting the income. Personally, I think we should be refining it here and sell PSC (Premium Synthetic Crude) to the Americans.
              We? Well, I meant North Americans, either private or government. Either way, the same erroneous decisions could be made.

I agree, we should do the refining in Canada. That argument goes for many of our natural resources industries. Instead of just shipping raw materials out of the country, encourage the processing & manufacturing at home. :D

Comment

Working...
              X