Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvassing the Presidential Candidates

Hi Michael:

I have copied the post. I will be glad to ask your questions. Thanks for the input to the AGM.

Bob A

Comment

Re: The 2011 Canadian Open U 2000 Blog

As far as I know, photography in the area OUTSIDE the playing hall is ok. Someone took a picture of several of the Scarborough Chess Club players yesterday.

Comment

Re: Canvassing the Presidential Candidates

Hi

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Michael:

I have copied the post. I will be glad to ask your questions. Thanks for the input to the AGM.

Bob A
        I will be tremendously impressed if any of the prospective candidates (or even just the winner) will make a little video of his answer and post it on Youtube to demonstrate his leadership abilities.

Then at least we would have a video for the website to link to. Have fun at the meeting.

Mike

Comment

Cfc agm

Hi Michael:

1. Please don't hold your breath on the video idea - we'd hate to lose you!
          2. As our esteemed President, Bob Gillanders, has previously posted, the AGM meeting hours just fly by........since we're all having so much fun!

Bob

Comment

Re: Cfc agm

Hi

Hi Michael:

1. Please don't hold your breath on the video idea - we'd hate to lose you!
            2. As our esteemed President, Bob Gillanders, has previously posted, the AGM meeting hours just fly by........since we're all having so much fun!

Bob
            Further to the FUN factor, I nominate you to mark each candidate and let us readers know how it goes

Candidate Scoring System Re: Chesstalk Question for Presidential Candidates
            Points earned for any of

Speaking from Notes(1pt)
            Well done-shows preparation

Prefaces all comments with an assessement of the CFC's current strengths and weaknesses(3pts)
            Good man! Very methodical and astute. Clearly management material

Made or will make a video(3pts)
            Gutsy and good communicator. I will like this guy

Heaps of applause from gallery(1 pt)
            Can win people over

Any division of current members into something smaller than one homogeneous blob(1 pt for each segment identified; 1-2 pts for any reasonable approach to each segment)
            The minimum skill needed to maintain the status quo. I'm not too exited.

Any division of Prospective members into something smaller than one homogeneous blob 1pt for each segment identified; 1-2 pts for any reasonable approach to each segment)
            Here's where we separate the men from the pretenders. The future growth of the CFC is here.

Any viable CFC issue(1pts for each issue identified+1-2pts each for the approach
            Examples-Website, Social Media. Women’s chess, Junior cycle, working with CMA, recruiting TDs or other volunteers, retail sales of books/equipment, promotional materials, member ship fees, lowering barriers for entry for first time players etc

Proposing to develop a written strategic plan within 30 days of taking office for governors /members to see((5pts)
            Well done! That’s my kind of leader

Penalty Points-(Lose 1 pt for any of these)
            Playing for time
            “That’s a good question”
            “I can’t do that without consulting with my new executive colleagues”
            Candidate is clueless.

Lack of Financial Information
            “The financial statements aren’t done yet”
            Stalling-reasonable assumptions can be made

“I can’t do this without a budget being finalized”
            Crap-Candidate has no ideas

Audience Laughs for Falls asleep
            Won’t earn respect from peers

Excessive perspiration or panicky reaction to the question
            Can’t handle pressure

Extra credit-studying the marking scheme in advance and preparing a bang on answer.(4 pts)

Thanks Bob, have fun at the meeting

Comment

Re: Cfc agm

Hi Michael:

Now you're going to have to fly back to Canada, renew your CFC membership, and come to the AGM yourself to have the FUN!! LOL

Bob

Comment

Re: Rd. 1 – Saturday, July 9

My Round 1 Game

It was a Pirc ( I played Black ), and by the middle game I had a “ winning “ advantage. Then I went up a P. But I failed to find the best moves, Eric defended adequately, and he eventually got back the P, and we each had a passed P. Eric offered me the draw, and at that point I thought I actually stood worse, and so was happy to accept. My game will be posted later today on the chess website, Chess5: www.chess5.com .
                Bob, you should get more angry to win games :D

Comment

I doubt he ever gets angry....He belongs to the Scarborough Chess Club - which is the friendliest chess club in Toronto....lol. See the SCC NEwsletters....

Comment

Hi Egis:

I'll definitely try to look meaner for the next shot !!

Thx for the pic.

Bob

Comment

Nice picture, Bob! Personally, I'd probably subconsciously want to blunder again someone who looked so friendly. =]

Comment

Rd. 2 – Sunday, July 10.

Rd. 2 – Sunday, July 10.

Starting Off Right – The Wee Hours of the Morning ( July 10 )

After coming home from Rd. 1 , Mario Moran-Venegas, who’s staying with me, and I, analyzed our games. Then I did my Rd. 1 ( July 9 ) Blog and posted it. I then analyzed my own game using Fritz, and did a bit of CFC political stuff. I got to bed at 4:00 AM!

Later that Morning

I woke up at 8:30 AM ( not unusual - my CO sleeping most nights is only about 4 hrs., given my past CO’s ). Mario and I had breakfast, and we checked our pairings for this evening ( he has a pt.; I have ½ pt. ). We’re both in the U 2000 section. He then had to go get his suitcase and laptop which he’d left at a friend’s yesterday, when he first came down from Angus. I then did a first draft of my Rd. 2 blog, to be finished early this morning and posted.

A Relaxing CO Afternoon

I’m also the editor of the SCC newsletter, and so spent some time in the afternoon on the draft of the next issue, due out on the 15th. Later in the afternoon, Mario brought his stuff in and got it stowed, and he did some prep. for the round. 1. As Scarborough CC Database Administrator, I entered a few more of the last games I have from our last tournament. We left for the playing hall at 430 PM – it takes about an hour from my place to the Westin Harbour Castle, by public transit. When we arrived there, we chatted with a number of chess friends ( there are 44 SCC players out of the 276! This is a strong showing of support for the organizers from SCC ). Rd. 2 began @ 6:00 PM.

The U 2000 Group ( 72 players ) & Rd. 2

Here are the favourites ( 1900 & Over : 11 ), and the “ dark horses “ ( 1750 – 1899 : 15 ) and showing who has a perfect score still:

Pinnacle 48th Canadian Open Chess Championship 2011:

UNDER 2000 SECTION

72 players ( 26: 1750-1999 )

# Name ID Rtng Tot Prize

1 John Doknjas 141225 1997 - 2
                        2 Hugh Siddeley 120619 1996 - 2
                        3 Stephan Tonakanian 150629 1974 - 2
                        4 Jonathan Yu 126131 1971 - 2
                        5 Alexander Strugach 151677 1963 - 2
                        6 Jordon Palmer 127560 1947
                        7 Richard Garel 105218 1942
                        8 Paul Leblanc 104186 1924
                        9 Manuela Renteria 152627 1922
                        10 David Poirier 106289 1906
                        11 Ed Zator 105675 1902

12 Steve Nickoloff 108201 1872
                        13 Greg Stavropoulos 108628 1872
                        14 Mario Moran-Venegas 143315 1864 - 2
                        15 Musa Jamshed 144462 1850 - 2
                        16 Bruce Dowling 112688 1847
                        17 Perry Vishal Johnson 152904 1846 - 2
                        18 Sam Haziprodromu 106156 1843
                        19 Nicholas O'Bumsawin 151261 1831
                        20 Pacifico Cortez 149343 1830 - 2
                        21 Shafkat Ali 149142 1823
                        22 Mathew G Cooke 126311 1799
                        23 Patrick Yu 143209 1796
                        24 Mark Jubenville 106764 1790
                        25 Greg Beal 101490 1777
                        26 Patrick O'Sullivan 149300 1758

Out of the 72 players in our group, only 10 have the full 2 points after Rd. 2. Here is the “ very, very, dark horse “ from U 1750 who has 2 points: Manoj Tahiliani – 1511.

In Rd. 2, my score was

Bd. 95 Robert J Armstrong (1740) 1 - 0 Alejandro Renteria (1465)

- leaves me with 1 ½ pts. ( 75% )
                        My Round 2 Game

Because new readers come to the blog from time to time, I want them to have the following information, and so I am repeating the template of it each day – I’d ask the daily readers of the blog to tolerate the repetition

I like to think “ class “ games have some interest. I believe in some ways they are more educational to class players than GM games, if properly annotated. They are understandable, because we all think similarly – GM moves are many times incomprehensible to us class players. For years now, I’ve used a chess website, Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ), as my own personal chess games blog – I have gotten to know the owner/administrator Eydun, quite well over the years. I introduced Canada to his website, after I first saw it. Canada is now one of the main posters to this on-line databank. I post all my games, using what I call my “ Comprehensive Annotation System “, hoping that this makes them even more helpful to viewers. Click on the heading link “ public games “. and you get a list of games posted this month so far, including mine from this Open.

So yesterday on the website. I posted my round 1 game. It is not dramatic. But it is interesting in that there are a number of very nice tactical, winning sacs that I missed. I think it is worth a look and the lines not played will be enjoyed..

My Rd. 2 game yesterday was interesting. I was white and used the Samisch line against the King’s Indian. Alejandro tried to sac a P on the Q-side to open a file, but I refused it and sacked my own pawn there. He spent time defending it, while I continued with the standard K-side attack. He could do little. My game will be posted later today on Chess5.

After Rd. 2

After the round, Mario and I were tired and just decided to head home. We got something to eat, and analyzed both our games, and then he hit the sack.

The Wee Hours of This Morning ( July 11 )

I then sat down to finish this round 2 blog, to post it early today. I also had a bit of political stuff to tend to, since the AGM is today and tomorrow ( 9;00 AM – 5:00 PM ), and the agendas look very full, and some items quite contentious. I then used Fritz to analyze my Rd. 2 game..

The Rd. 3 Pairings ( July 12 ) – U 2000 Top Boards

With only 10 players having a perfect score after 2 rounds, the favourites are now meeting each other. Here are the top board pairings for Rd. 3:

Bd...........White...................Res...................Black

76 John Doknjas (1997)................... Mario Moran-Venegas (1864)
                        77 Musa Jamshed (1850).................. Hugh Siddeley (1996)
                        78 Stephan Tonakanian (1974).......... Perry Vishal Johnson (1846)
                        79 Pacifico Cortez (1830)................. Jonathan Yu (1971)
                        80 Alexander Strugach (1963)........... Manoj Tahiliani (1511)

My Round 3 Game Today ( July 11 ):

As a result of my Rd. 2 win, I have been paired up finally, having 1 ½ pts. Here is my Rd. 3 pairing for later today:

84 Ed Zator (1902) - Robert J Armstrong (1740)

Some Random Thoughts After 2 Days

Once again, I am on track to having a great CO “ chess holiday “, regardless of my final chess score ( which I certainly hope will be decent ). I’ve enjoyed “ rooming “ with Mario for the tournament, and met and chatted with various chess friends from across the country – the social side of chess is to be enjoyed, not just the “ competition “.

The tournament, from an ordinary players’ point of view, has been very well run. Playing conditions and venue are very good ( air wasn't great though yesterday, but neither was it anywhere ), there is lots of space, the water jugs seem to be being kept full, and you can go watch the MonRoi projection of the top boards, when you are taking a game break, and wandering during your opponent’s move ( for those of us who do that ).

Monday and Tuesday may be a bit tiring before those rounds. As I said, it’s the CFC AGM meeting from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM each day, and there are some controversial items on the agenda, as well as a number of election races for the 2011-2 CFC Executive. Hope I’m not too tired to play chess! LOL

Invitation.

I'd like again to invite everyone to join into the discussion - any comments, suggestion s, questions, criticisms of the blog are welcome - and of anything to do with the Can. Open. I will try to respond if that seems appropriate. Any comments from other members of the U 2000 section would be especially welcome!

Bob

Comment

Rd. 3 – Monday, July 11 - Pt. I

Rd. 3 – Monday, July 11 - Pt. I

Starting Off Right – The Wee Hours of the Morning ( July 11 )

After coming home from Rd. 2 , Mario and I got a late night dinner, and analyzed our games as we ate – we’re both in the U 2000 section, and both of us had won. Then I did my Rd. 2 ( July 10 ) Blog and posted it. I then analyzed my own game from Rd. 2 using Fritz, and did a bit of CFC political stuff for the upcoming CFC AGM later that day. I got to bed at 4:00 AM!

Later that Morning

I woke up at 7:30 AM – less than my usual CO 4 hr. naps. Mario was sleeping when I left at 8:30 to head down to the Outgoing Governors’ Annual General Meeting ( started at 9:00 am! ). Mario slept in, and then did some prep work for his Rd. 3 game until 1:00 pm.

The AGM Morning

One of the first things that was done, was a motion to strongly thank Bob Gillanders, CFC President, for doing such an excellent job in 2010-1, and he was give a hearty round of applause. Bob ran an efficient meeting, and we dealt with numbers of officers reports, reviewed the financial statements for the year ended April 30, and then passed 4 motions, all by noon! What was new about the meeting was that Outpost Management, CFC’s new outsourcing company, that is providing our office services, had arranged for governors across the country to participate by voice and by internet. Only 3 governors availed themselves of this opportunity, but it worked quite adequately, and the governors who stayed with it, were able to participate to a high degree. After the meeting 4 other governors and myself went out for gyros for lunch, and to solve all the world’s problems! I left early, and by coincidence met 2 members of the CYCC organizing committee who had been invited to make a presentation to the governors in the afternoon, and they explained some of their position to me on a dispute that had arisen within the CYCC committee, before we all had to return to the meeting at 2:00 pm.

The AGM Afternoon

The first item on the agenda was a presentation by the two factions involved in the controversy over the distribution of part of the CYCC revenue. It is a difficult issue, and the committee has worked quite hard, and the tournament was very successful, and so people’s nerves are a bit frayed. But the presentations were helpful to the governors to understand the dispute, and after the presenters left, the governors extensively canvassed the complex issue – the governors are divided in views. It was finally determined that it was difficult to explain the issue to 60 governors to decide, and that it was best to let the new incoming CFC Executive ( to be elected later today ) become knowledgeable, and then make the decision for the CFC. We also then dealt with some proposals to deal with “ under-rated juniors “ and their effect on the rating computations. This is a matter that the CFC Rating Auditor ( to be elected today – 2 governors are running ) will continue to deal with, to find a solution.

U 2000 Group ( 72 players ) Rd. 2 Results

The 10 players with perfect scores were paired against each other, so the leader pool was about to shrink. Here are the results:

Bd Res.......White.......................Res.........Black
                          76 .5 John Doknjas (1997).............5 Mario Moran-Venegas (1864)
                          77 0 Musa Jamshed (1850)............1 Hugh Siddeley (1996)
                          78 0 Stephan Tonakanian (1974)....1 Perry Vishal Johnson (1846)
                          79 0 Pacifico Cortez (1830)...........1 Jonathan Yu (1971)
                          80 1 Alexander Strugach (1963).....0 Manoj Tahiliani (1511)

The U 2000 Group & Rd. 3

Here are the favourites ( 1900 & Over : 11 ), and the “ dark horses “ ( 1750 – 1899 : 15 ) and showing who has a perfect score still, as well as those on their heels, ½ pt. back:

Pinnacle 48th Canadian Open Chess Championship 2011:

UNDER 2000 SECTION

72 players ( 26: 1750-1999 )

# Name ID Rtng Tot Prize

1 John Doknjas 141225 1997 – 2.5
                          2 Hugh Siddeley 120619 1996 - 3
                          3 Stephan Tonakanian 150629 1974
                          4 Jonathan Yu 126131 1971 - 3
                          5 Alexander Strugach 151677 1963 - 3
                          6 Jordon Palmer 127560 1947 – 2.5
                          7 Richard Garel 105218 1942
                          8 Paul Leblanc 104186 1924 – 2.5
                          9 Manuela Renteria 152627 1922
                          10 David Poirier 106289 1906
                          11 Ed Zator 105675 1902 – 2.5

12 Steve Nickoloff 108201 1872
                          13 Greg Stavropoulos 108628 1872 – 2.5
                          14 Mario Moran-Venegas 143315 1864 – 2.5
                          15 Musa Jamshed 144462 1850
                          16 Bruce Dowling 112688 1847
                          17 Perry Vishal Johnson 152904 1846 - 3
                          18 Sam Haziprodromu 106156 1843
                          19 Nicholas O'Bumsawin 151261 1831
                          20 Pacifico Cortez 149343 1830
                          21 Shafkat Ali 149142 1823 – 2.5
                          22 Mathew G Cooke 126311 1799
                          23 Patrick Yu 143209 1796
                          24 Mark Jubenville 106764 1790
                          25 Greg Beal 101490 1777
                          26 Patrick O'Sullivan 149300 1758

Out of the 72 players in our group, only 4 have the full 3 points after Rd. 3.

In Rd. 3, my score was:

84 1 Ed Zator (1902) 0 Robert J Armstrong (1740)

- leaves me with 1 ½ pts. ( 50% )

My Round 3 Game

Because new readers come to the blog from time to time, I want them to have the following information, and so I am repeating the template of it each day – I’d ask the daily readers of the blog to tolerate the repetition

I like to think “ class “ games have some interest. I believe in some ways they are more educational to class players than GM games, if properly annotated. They are understandable, because we all think similarly – GM moves are many times incomprehensible to us class players. For years now, I’ve used a chess website, Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ), as my own personal chess games blog – I have gotten to know the owner/administrator Eydun, quite well over the years. I introduced Canada to his website, after I first saw it. Canada is now one of the main posters to this on-line databank. I post all my games, using what I call my “ Comprehensive Annotation System “, hoping that this makes them even more helpful to viewers. Click on the heading link “ public games “. and you get a list of games posted this month so far, including mine from this Open.

So I am posting my games as soon as I can after the round. Posting for Rds. 2 – 4 have been a bit delayed, because yesterday I attended the 7 hr. CFC AGM, and will go to the second half today. The games may not be dramatic, but I hope they are interesting enough, and there is something that can be learned.

My Rd. 3 game yesterday was interesting. I was black and we played a Pirc. Ed attacked on the K-side right away, and I tried to get going the much slower Black Q-side attack ( he castled long ). You may find it surprising that I held on, but maybe you could find improvements for Ed. Eventually though, Ed got active play in the centre, and my position fell apart.

After Rd. 3

Ed and I went to analyze after, and we found some interesting lines that we had only half considered. During the analysis, 2 old Scarborough Chess Club members from years ago came in to say ‘ Hi “ ( one down from the Yukon for a visit ). We said we’d look for each other later today before the round. Doug Gillis of SCC, and Erik Malmsten, GTCL Secretary, and I, then chatted for a while. Then Mario and I were tired and headed home. We got something to eat, and analyzed both our games while we ate ( he drew the top-rated player in our section yesterday! ), and then he hit the sack.

The Wee Hours of This Morning ( July 12 )

I did a bit of political stuff, and then sat down to compose this round 3 blog, to post it early today. Unfortunately, just as I was to post it, my connection to the internet got cranky, and I couldn’t connect, despite trying a few tricks. And Sympatico technical support is only from 8 am to 11 pm. So it was off to bed at 2:30 am. I get up this morning at 6:30 am, and lo and behold, the computer connects to the internet! So here is the Rd. 3 Blog for the day.

Continued in Pt II below
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 12th July, 2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Re: Rd. 3 – Monday, July 11 - Pt. II

Re: Rd. 3 – Monday, July 11 - Pt. II

The Rd. 4 Pairings ( July 12 ) – U 2000 Top Boards

With only 4 players having a perfect score after 3 rounds, I will also show the pairings of those of the top 26 who are ½ pt. behind. Here are the top board pairings for Rd. 4:

Bd.........White.........................Res..........Black
                            76 Hugh Siddeley (1996)....................Alexander Strugach (1963)
                            77 Jonathan Yu (1971)......................Perry Vishal Johnson (1846)
                            78 Paul Leblanc (1924).....................John Doknjas (1997)
                            79 Jordan Palmer (1947)...................Greg Stavropoulos (1872)
                            80 Mario Moran-Venegas (1864)........ Ed Zator (1902)
                            81 Shafkat Ali (1823)......................Stephan Tonakanian (1974)

My Round 4 Game Today ( July 12 ):

As a result of my Rd. 3 loss, I have been paired down again, for the third time, having only 1 ½ /3 pts. Here is my Rd. 3 pairing for later today:

94 Robert J Armstrong (1740) - Hooshang Abbarin (unr.)

Some Random Thoughts After 3 Days

Some members are extremely critical of the role of the CFC Governors in running the CFC. But I think if some of them had come to the AGM yesterday, they would have been impressed with the efficiency of the meeting, and that everyone worked hard to get through the agenda items. The meeting moved effectively from item to item, and the motions were well-explained, reviewed and passed. People who know me know I myself often voice criticism of my brethren. But there must also be a balance, and recognition given where the responsibility is taken seriously, and time and effort are spent, as volunteers ( no one is paid ), to do a good and competent job. I congratulate the governors who have attended the meeting, and those who took the time to file a proxy, when they weren’t attending. That said, it was disappointing that less then 50% of the 60 governors participated. But at the same time, this number is not unusual over the last number of years.

Organizers are one of the two main foundations of our whole chess system ( the other being clubs ). The organizers of the recent CYCC and the current CO have made possible the tournaments that the participants have so enjoyed. And if the tournaments attract new and returning players, they provide increased membership to the CFC, along with the revenue generated. It is critical that these organizers are supported by the CFC. We must continue to look for ways to improve this support, and to grow the number of organizers across the country, especially in those provinces where chess activity has slowed to a trickle.

Invitation.

I'd like again to invite everyone to join into the discussion - any comments, suggestion s, questions, criticisms of the blog are welcome - and of anything to do with the Can. Open. I will try to respond if that seems appropriate. Any comments from other members of the U 2000 section would be especially welcome!

Bob
                            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 12th July, 2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Agenda Item
                              "The first item on the agenda was a presentation by the two factions involved in the controversy over the distribution of part of the CYCC revenue. It is a difficult issue, and the committee has worked quite hard, and the tournament was very successful, and so people’s nerves are a bit frayed. But the presentations were helpful to the governors to understand the dispute, and after the presenters left, the governors extensively canvassed the complex issue – the governors are divided in views. It was finally determined that it was difficult to explain the issue to 60 governors to decide, and that it was best to let the new incoming CFC Executive ( to be elected later today ) become knowledgeable, and then make the decision for the CFC."

Huh? They elected to pass the buck?
                              The whole thing was an issue for the outgoing Executive...They should take care of the old mess and let the new executive take care of new business. Oops I know, old executive no longer has the authority. Governors should be setting policy, not be getting bogged down with contract interpretation. Well that's my 2 cents. Likely only worth one cent now. Looking forward to the day two AGM report :)

Mike
                              Last edited by Michael Yip; Tuesday, 12th July, 2011, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                Bob, you should get more angry to win games :D

Bob, You just looks great!

Comment

Working...
                                X