X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC AGM Day 1/July 11, 2011

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Hi Victor,

Thank you on behalf of the Windsor kids. I am also proud of some of the kids that didn't qualify but who played well. There are also a few who have not been seeking help but have elevated their game by playing against some of the children in the class. I am very optimistic about the prospects for Windsor chess if we can keep up the momentum.

I was aware the the CFC allowed additional people to play last year at the World Youth Chess Championship. My main point was that the Windsor kids were able to qualify without needing any additional permission. John Coleman started the Friday night Sobeys chess club to help the Windsor kids prepare for the out of town tournaments and we are seeing some very good results from our efforts and the children's diligent study and work.

I have the feeling that next year we will be even stronger. There were a few children that had uncharacteristically uneven performances at the Ontario Youth Championship but who are capable of much more when things are going well. I expect that some of them will bounce back and show what they are capable of as well.

Thank you to you and the rest of the organizing committee for putting on a successful tournament.

Vlad
    Ontario youth chess seems to be in transition, many solid players but not as many dominant national or international level players. So there is an opportunity for dedicated players to win, but they need help. I believe the OCA and local chess organizations need to work well with promising juniors, or other more ambitious programs ( like the groups in BC or Alberta ) will produce much stronger players moving forward.

There is nothing easy about this WYCC process. Once the kids get older then 10 years old, they are competing against peers with much stronger national federation support and available resources. If anything, Ontario has been spoiled by junior talent the last 10 years, but there just isn't enough support behind these kids in general. Its a hard road. Simple improvements like better coaching and equipment resources at WYCC would go a long way towards keeping the top kids interested and improving.

Comment

Working...
    X