Montreal Session with GM Dejan Bojkov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal Session with GM Dejan Bojkov

I don't think this has been mentioned on the English board, but GM Dejan Bojkov will be giving a 2-hour presentation, in English, next week in Montreal. It is scheduled for Thursday July 21 at 19:00 at the FQE's headquarters in the Olympic stadium.

Cost is $30 and space is said to be limited. For further details, you can visit the Québec federation's site www.fqechecs.qc.ca, call them at 514 252 3034 or write to <felixdumont@fqechecs.qc.ca>

GM Bojkov is the coauthor of the book A Course in Chess Tactics (Gambit 2010).

Re: Montreal Session with GM Dejan Bojkov

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
    I don't think this has been mentioned on the English board, but GM Dejan Bojkov will be giving a 2-hour presentation, in English, next week in Montreal. It is scheduled for Thursday July 21 at 19:00 at the FQE's headquarters in the Olympic stadium.

Cost is $30 and space is said to be limited. For further details, you can visit the Québec federation's site www.fqechecs.qc.ca, call them at 514 252 3034 or write to <felixdumont@fqechecs.qc.ca>

GM Bojkov is the coauthor of the book A Course in Chess Tactics (Gambit 2010).
    I enjoyed his lecture, more of an analysis session, in Toronto. I hope Montreal has a projector and screen as he's very fast at showing ideas from his laptop. His English is very good, he is warm and friendly, able to laugh, and encourages suggestions from participants which he fully analysises out.

Comment

Re : Montreal Session with GM Dejan Bojkov

Yes, we will have a projector and we are quite enthousiast about his lecture. There are some spots lefts, even though most of them are already taken. He might be interested into analysing some of his games from the Canadian open.

Comment

Re: Re : Montreal Session with GM Dejan Bojkov

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Yes, we will have a projector and we are quite enthousiast about his lecture. There are some spots lefts, even though most of them are already taken. He might be interested into analysing some of his games from the Canadian open.
        GM Bojkov's talk was sparsely attended, but very entertaining. He showed his games from rounds 1, 3 and 8 of the Canadian Open.

I found him very open to discussing all aspects of the games and enjoyed the presentation immensely. Thanks to Félix for organizing it!

Comment

GM Bojkov's talk was sparsely attended, but very entertaining. He showed his games from rounds 1, 3 and 8 of the Canadian Open.

I found him very open to discussing all aspects of the games and enjoyed the presentation immensely. Thanks to Félix for organizing it!
          Rounds 1, 3 at the CO? .... are you sure ?
          These games were a loss and a draw against much lower rated players ...

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
            Would I lie to you? :)

Yes, he led off with his loss and followed up with the draw. Both games had a lot of interesting elements.

Comment

Capablanca wrote that he had learned more from his few losses than from his many victories. This was later turned against a BC master (who unlike Capa, did not often annotate his losses), into whose mouth were put the words that he had learned more from his few losses than from his many, many draws. A verbal дружеский шарж, if you like.

Comment

Would I lie to you? :)

Yes, he led off with his loss and followed up with the draw. Both games had a lot of interesting elements.
                I guess I'll buy his book then ... I knew about it when it was released (2010) - but I was hesitating.
                But now I know who to blame if my wife catches me: "Another chess book ??" ;)
                Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Friday, 22nd July, 2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Capablanca wrote that he had learned more from his few losses than from his many victories. This was later turned against a BC master (who unlike Capa, did not often annotate his losses), into whose mouth were put the words that he had learned more from his few losses than from his many, many draws. A verbal дружеский шарж, if you like.
                  "friendly cartoon" ? - I know the cyrillic alphabet but can't read/speak Russian

Comment

I guess I'll buy his book then ... I knew about it when it was released (2010) - but I was hesitating.
                    But now I know who to blame if my wife catches me: "Another chess book ??" ;)
                    Sure, you can always blame the Bulgarians. :)

I have his book and got it signed last night. I think it's well worth buying.

Comment

"friendly cartoon" ?
                      Yes, a caricature, blowing out of proportion some noted trait. Russian not because you were expected to speak it, but because you must have seen that lettering beneath many a drawing in a Russian chess magazine. The late George Kuprejanov did some fabulous caricatures in Vlad's Chess Canada in the early 1970s (inspired, Vlad even did a few himself), but in my experience chess caricatures are mostly a Russian thing. Kuprejanov is a Russian name too (there's an island with that name in present day Alaska), though George was Yugoslav.

So, a verbal or literary caricature. Of a master player from BC.

Comment

Re: Montreal Session with GM Dejan Bojkov

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        Yes, a caricature, blowing out of proportion some noted trait.
                        ok - thank you.

...due to a previous post (of yours) I acquired this month (and for free!) "Take my Rooks".
                        When I (politely) asked the seller (from England) what happens with the shipment (Canada Post issue), they answered - here is a full refund (!) and if you receive the book you have a choice: keep it at no cost or return it.

Kudos to Canada Post :p

Comment

Working...
                        X