X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congrats Bindi Cheng for IM norm

[QUOTE=Vlad Rekhson;40304]
    Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    Low rated players can be raised to 400 below, but I thought only unrateds to 2050?

Lowest rated opponent can be raised to the level floor (it doesn't matter if they are unrated or just lower rated).

Here is the rule:

.46c For the purposes of norms, the minimum rating (adjusted rating floor) for the opponents shall be as follows:

Grandmaster 2200
    International Master 2050
    Woman Grandmaster 2000
    Woman International Master 1850

1.46c1 No more than one opponent shall have his rating raised to this adjusted rating floor. Where more than one opponent are below the floor, the rating of the lowest opponents shall be raised.
    Thanks so much Vlad. I thought I had this figured out. The next clause refers to the second unrated counting as 1200:

1.46d Unrated opponents not covered by 1.46c shall be considered to be rated at the rating floor level. See FIDE rating regulations for the current level of the floor.

And also, I shouldn't change opponent's rating to 400 points below, I was getting confused with rating a game:

8.0. The working of the FIDE Rating System
    A difference in rating of more than 400 points shall be counted for rating purposes as though it were a difference of 400 points

Comment

Re: Congrats Bindi Cheng for IM norm!

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
      Congratulations to Bindi Cheng -- on achieving his 3rd IM norm at this year's Pinnacle 48th Canadian Open Chess Championship 2011!

With regard to Shiyam Thavandiran, we did the calculations, and he did not quite make the IM norm sorry to report. :(

Shiyam was presented a plaque as the youngest Canadian Junior (for his 2005 victory at the age of 12).

Also congratulations to Aris Marghetis, FA who achieved his 4th IA norm and will Canada's next International Arbiter.

Further, congratulations to Natalia Khoudgarian who got her first FA norm at this year's wonderful event!
      Congrats to all the winners especially Sergey Noritsyn 1491 and Tetyana Tismenko 1297 who were the big winners in the Under 1600 section, getting over $800 each, much more than IM Nikolay Noritsyn ($255). The top player Under 1600 was unrated and so could only win $250, the $750 being passed down.

Comment

I would also like to take a moment to thank volunteer extraordinaire Michael Sutton! :)

He was often thanked this last week and a half, but words cannot do justice. He took a WEEK OF PERSONAL VACATION, and was there helping us in just so many great ways! :)

Michael, thanks man !!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          I would also like to take a moment to thank volunteer extraordinaire Michael Sutton! :)

He was often thanked this last week and a half, but words cannot do justice. He took a WEEK OF PERSONAL VACATION, and was there helping us in just so many great ways! :)

Michael, thanks man !!
          Yes, while you and Mark were great, visible and friendly, you were paid. Michael paid to be a volunteer and he was always there. One of the hotel guests should have loaned him a room key for the occasional nap or visit to the pool and hot tub.

Comment

Working...
          X