"Bobby Fischer Against the World" in Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bobby Fischer Against the World" in Vancouver

This recent documentary film will be shown at the Vancity theatre complex in Vancouver on July 22, 23, 26, and 28. Host for the July 22 screening ("VIFF Social Club") will be Nathan Divinsky. More details online.

Re: "Bobby Fischer Against the World" in Vancouver

bah. i would like to see this but i am still boycotting the vancity. hrmph
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I watched this. It was ok. I'm watching Starcraft now. It's a lot better.

Comment

A very moving film, deeply-researched, and with outstanding production values. Will surely contend for an Oscar in the Documentary category.

Comment

So if we're not in Vancouver, and don't expect the film to be shown in our locale, when will the DVD be released? I've haven't been able to figure that out from the websites.

I like the gwyddbwyll-like board here but I think it's been super-imposed on another photo.

-----------------------------

For more information about gwyddwbyll or fidchell (Celtic chess) see my old Manitoba chess blog at the following LINK.

Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: "Bobby Fischer Against the World" via Amazon instant video or You Tube

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            So if we're not in Vancouver, and don't expect the film to be shown in our locale, when will the DVD be released? I've haven't been able to figure that out from the websites.

Hey Nigel, when I was in Toronto, people were telling me that you can download Bobby Fischer Against the World documentary movie via Amazon instant video or You Tube for "FREE" .. ..

Home › Entertainment › Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011, HBO)
            Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011, HBO)

Bobby Fischer Documentary MovieWatch

Bobby Fischer Against the World (2011, HBO). Wow, HBO kicks off its summer documentary series with Bobby Fischer Against the World, a film that tells a the story of the brilliant rise of chess prodigy Bobby Fischer. He became a grandmaster as a teenager, battled Russia’s Boris Spassky in a legendary 1972 match and, in his controversial later years, became paranoid and withdrawn.

This documentary, Bobby Fischer Against the World, draws on interviews with chess legend Gary Kasparov, author Malcolm Gladwell, talk-show host Dick Cavett, Paul Marshall (Fischer’s personal attorney), Harry Sneider (his trainer) and photographer Harry Benson, who had access to Fischer before and during the 1972 championship. The drama of Bobby Fischer’s career was undeniable, from his troubled childhood, to his rock star status as World Champion and Cold War icon, to his life as a fugitive on the run. This film explores one of the most infamous and mysterious characters of the 20th century.

Immediately after beating Spassky, Fischer began his life of seclusion. It may have been even sadder that he also effectively stopped playing chess at the same time, at age 29. All of us are familiar with Fischer’s increasingly bizarre post-Reykjavik antics. Sometimes attributed to eccentricity, Garbus makes no secret that she believes Bobby’s behaviour was a product of mental illness. Bobby Fischer Against the World airs on HBO. Don’t forget to watch the full episode. You can download Bobby Fischer Against the World documentary movie via Amazon instant video.....

Please post your reviews OK?

Thanks. ;)

Comment

Last edited by Ben Daswani; Wednesday, 30th January, 2013, 12:37 AM.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

The "big screen" effect is very powerful in this film, so I'd encourage anyone with an interest in Fischer, chess, social history, or the Cold War, to get to a theatrical screening.

When a Soviet player of that era had a world-class event coming up, he was given at least 2 months at a health resort with full access to trainers, a team of assistants, sports psychologists, etc.

Now picture Fischer in a motel room all by himself, doing exercises along with the Jack LaLanne program on a small television set. Then later, at a restaurant, going over a red German book of unannotated Spassky games. It was literally David and Goliath.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                  The "big screen" effect is very powerful in this film, so I'd encourage anyone with an interest in Fischer, chess, social history, or the Cold War, to get to a theatrical screening.

When a Soviet player of that era had a world-class event coming up, he was given at least 2 months at a health resort with full access to trainers, a team of assistants, sports psychologists, etc.

Now picture Fischer in a motel room all by himself, doing exercises along with the Jack LaLanne program on a small television set. Then later, at a restaurant, going over a red German book of unannotated Spassky games. It was literally David and Goliath.
                  this is the big tipping factor in favour of bobby fischer being the greatest of all time. comparing with say kasparov's support and upbringing, what bobby fischer did is unparalleled - greatness is not just a matter of absolute chess strength (as if one could compare players of different eras anyway).

Comment

"Bobby Fischer Against the World"

Alas, once again, this film is not listed in the "Movie Entertainment" Guide for Rogers Cable's coming events in August.

Comment

vct is showing it 2ce more on august 18

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                        A very moving film, deeply-researched, and with outstanding production values. Will surely contend for an Oscar in the Documentary category.
                        All about the 1972 match, and offering little new, I found it tedious.
                        Sneak peek :

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ChessNoir/videos/1/

The book Endgame by Brady is much more interesting.

Comment

Working...
                        X