Comment

Re: Kramnik-Anand match

Bump to move the post up

Comment

Kramnik will win in the armageddon with a knight versus a bishop :D

Comment

Bump to move the post up. 300+ views, only 24 votes.

Comment

Chess players are much more " viewers " than " posters ". This is OK since they are at least keeping themselves informed ( and entertained ). They'll post when an issue hits home.

Bob

Comment

I note that the ChessVibes website poll has Anand 54% and Kramnik 46%, a closer poll than this one at ChessTalk. Ours would be Anand 60% and Kramnik 40% if you eliminated the " Dunno " vote.

Another poll is Mig Greengard's Daily Dirt Blog one:

14% Anand +2 or more

34% Anand +1 or wins tiebreaks

44% Kramnik +1 or wins tiebreaks

9% Kramnik +2 or more

Bob
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 7th October, 2008, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                ChessVibes website poll
                with 1,084 votes at this moment.
                Still it is only poll and probably shows a number of fans for the each player than the real strength or possible outcome :D

Comment

Hi Egis:

I'm not in your category of voters.

Though I am a fan of Anand ( he's a great all-round player ), in match play I have to vote for Kramnik, since he errs so seldom, and draws will not hurt him like they do in tournament play.

Bob

Comment

What if Kramnik Wins??

Suppose Kramnik wins the match. That would be twice that a world champion gets chosen in a round robin tournament and twice that Kramnik wins it back in a match.

Wouldn't that discredit the whole world championship round robin concept? Kramnik could point to this and say he never "realy" lost the world title. No one will have yet beaten him in a match since he won the title. Previous interviews with Kramnik seem to indicate that he believes this, although he won't flat out state it as such.

Something to think about.

Comment

Re: What if Kramnik Wins??

Hi Garland:

It is a matter of perspective whether you say that in 2005, a world champion was chosen by a tournament ( I assume that's the one you are referring to ). It is my view that Kramnik was already world champion when FIDE held its " world championship " tournament in San Luis. He had been world champion since winning the title from Kasparov in 2000. The FIDE world title holders in 1999 to 2005 were only " pretenders " to the throne. Kasparov and Kramnik still carried the " classical " world championship forward. So I say that in 2006, Topalov was only the " Challenger " for the world title held by Kramnik. And Kramnik successfully defended his crown.

Also, I think it was politically very generous of Kramnik to allow his title to be put on the line in the Morelia World Championship tournament in 2007. He helped FIDE out of a long mess by doing that, and has really complained little about his choice and its outcome, outside of his comment that he felt he had " lent " the crown to Anand for a short time.

Bob

Comment

Bump to move the post up. It is interesting that the Chesstalkers prefer Anand, but the Daily Dirters prefer Kramnik (though the gap is narrowing from both directions).

What is surprising that, from 475 views, there have been only 31 responses to the poll (I'm not talking replies to the post). I suppose many of those views are in fact people checking the poll results.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                          What is surprising that, from 475 views, there have been only 31 responses to the poll (I'm not talking replies to the post). I suppose many of those views are in fact people checking the poll results.
                          Most of the viewers are unregistered people who can't vote. The second largest group of viewers are repeat viewers coming back for the conversation.

Garland: I think this more of a Wimbledon vs US Open situation. There should be champions for each, and nobody should consider one superior to the other as the courts are different. Only occasionally will one player win both, and that's the player we should remember as a World Champion.

Comment

You will note that ChessTalk has only 155 " active " members ( not sure how " active " is defined - maybe Chris could help us out on that one ). So Alan is right that the majority of " viewers " are non - members.

Bob

Comment

I like Anand, because he's Indian.
                              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                              X