Nikolay Noritsyn Victory Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikolay Noritsyn Victory Party

This Saturday at Rails & Ales Sports Pub, 1106 Danforth (1 1/2 blocks east of Donlands subway station) Nikolay will show his best game from his spectacular tournament win at the Quebec Open.
    He will then join our regular players for the usual Saturday Rapid tournament.

Menu of events:

1:30 pm: Complimentary buffet followed by game demonstration
    2:00 pm: Rapid tournament (15min/game) 5 rounds swiss $30 entry fee

I expect Toronto Star representatives will be there to interview and take pics.

Please join us in applauding the young soon-to-be grandmaster.
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Tuesday, 2nd August, 2011, 08:25 AM.

Re: Nikolay Noritsyn Victory Party

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    This Saturday at Rails & Ales Sports Pub, 1106 Danforth (1 1/2 blocks east of Donlands subway station) Nikolay will show his best game from his spectacular tournament win at the Quebec Open.
    He will then join our regular players for the usual Saturday Rapid tournament.

Menu of events:

1:30 pm: Complimentary buffet followed by game demonstration
    2:00 pm: Rapid tournament (15min/game) 5 rounds swiss $30 entry fee

I expect a Toronto Star representatives will be there to interview and take pics.

Please join us in applauding the young soon-to-be grandmaster.
    Cool idea Vlad!

Strategy Games / Chess'n Math will throw in a $100 gift certificate to our store ( WWW.STRATEGYGAMES.CA ) for the newly crowned champion...and a bottle of COLD water :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      Cool idea Vlad!

Strategy Games / Chess'n Math will throw in a $100 gift certificate to our store ( WWW.STRATEGYGAMES.CA ) for the newly crowned champion...and a bottle of COLD water :)

Larry
      Many thanks, Larry. I will also be looking for the use of a demo board so unless someone coming to the party posts here that they're bringing one, I may ask to borrow one from your school.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to a fun afternoon.

Vlad

Comment

Is it necessary to rate the tournament with CFC in order to have it FIDE rated?
        This way Nikolay can have a bust in CFC rating as well.

Comment

Re : Nikolay Noritsyn Victory Party

It is not necessary for the FIDE, however it is a condition from the CFC for any canadian tournament to be FIDE rated. So yes, the Quebec Open is FIDE rated.
          Also, the FQE made significant efforts to convince people from the invitation and the Open section to buy a CFC membership. Not much people payed for it even though the FQE only asked the players to pay 16$, while they would pay the rest.
          Last edited by Felix Dumont; Monday, 1st August, 2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            Is it necessary to rate the tournament with CFC in order to have it FIDE rated?
            This way Nikolay can have a bust in CFC rating as well.
            This is not a ratings discussion thread. Please start a new thread or contact the CFC for your answer.

Comment

Re: Re : Nikolay Noritsyn Victory Party

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              It is not necessary for the FIDE, however it is a condition from the CFC for any canadian tournament to be FIDE rated. So yes, the Quebec Open is FIDE rated.
              Also, the FQE made significant efforts to convince people from the invitation and the Open section to buy a CFC membership. Not much people payed for it even though the FQE only asked the players to pay 16$, while they would pay the rest.
              Thanks for your repply Felix!

Comment

join us
                I'll do :)

The 36th player will get a cold beer :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  I'll do :)

The 36th player will get a cold beer :D
                  Hi Egis,

You'll do? Do what? Bring a demo board, and you get a beer on me. I'm sure you'll bring a camera as you usually do, so another beer! I'm looking forward to Saturday. CU

Vlad

Comment

Do what?
                    Demo - no.
                    Camera - yes.
                    Rapid - yes.
                    Beer - yes.
                    CU - yes :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Demo - no.
                      Camera - yes.
                      Rapid - yes.
                      Beer - yes.
                      CU - yes :D
                      Vlad,

I'll lend you my demo board, and I also have a Strategy
                      Gift certificate of $100 for Nikolay - can you pick up both?

Nikolay - congrats!

Egis, look forward to some great pics:-)

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                        Vlad,

I'll lend you my demo board, and I also have a Strategy
                        Gift certificate of $100 for Nikolay - can you pick up both?

Nikolay - congrats!

Egis, look forward to some great pics:-)

Francis
                        Yes, I'll come by tomorrow afternoon.
                        Thanks,
                        Vlad

Comment

Everything's ready. Let's party! :D

We have about a dozen sets, so we can seat 24 players, icluding some on the patio. So first come .......
                          The buffet will be out at 1:15, Nikolay's showing of his best game from 1:30 and the first round of the rapid starts at 2:00pm.

Comment

Is Nikolay the 1st (or 1st Canadian) to score a GM norm (not including maintaining the rating for the streak required, etc) on a Canadian-soil event? If others exist, does anyone have a list?

Congratulations!
                            Last edited by Kai G. Gauer; Sunday, 7th August, 2011, 12:47 AM. Reason: couldn't spell names correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
                              Is Nikolai the 1st (or 1st Canadian) to score a GM norm (not including maintaining the rating for the streak required, etc) on a Canadian-soil event? If others exist, does anyone have a list?

Congratulations!
                              These GMs all got GM norms in the important Montreal invitationals:
                              Mark Bluvshtein
                              Pascal Charbonneau
                              Alexandre Lesiège

While Igor Zugic got a norm in Toronto.

David Cohen keeps a list.

from wikipedia:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bl...an_Grandmaster

Mark Bluvshtein made a very impressive Grandmaster norm at the 2004 Canadian Open Chess Championship in Kapuskasing, where he played eight Grandmasters in ten rounds, while scoring 6.5/10 to tie for 13th-26th places

The next month, at the 2004 Montreal International, he made his third and final qualifying Grandmaster result with 6.5/11 to place fourth

Pascal Charbonneau made his first Grandmaster norm at the Montreal International 2003, where he scored 6.5/11 for 5th place with 9 GMs in the field.

Alexandre Lesiège earned his Grandmaster title at the 1999 Quebec Open in Montreal, his third and final required title norm.

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...html#QUALIFIED

Completed
                              The following have qualified for these titles:
                              International Master (IM)
                              Calugar, Arthur - qualified by top score >= 2/3 by untitled player in 2011 Canadian and FIDE Zonal Championship with 6/9
                              Cheng, Bindi - 1st Norm: 2007 Canadian Open Championship; 2nd Norm: 2009 World Open, Philadelphia, PA, USA; 3rd Norm: 2011 Canadian Open Championship, Toronto, Ontario

In progress
                              The folowing are in progress of completing the qualifications for these titles (Norms no longer have time limits):

International Grandmaster (GM)
                              Gerzhoy, Leonid - 1st Norm: 2009 World Open, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
                              Hergott, Deen - 1st Norm: 1994 Marshall Chess Club, New York, New York, USA
                              Porper, Edward - 1st Norm: 2004 Liechtenstein Open
                              Teplitsky, Yan - 1st Norm: 1992 Ajka, Hungary ?; 2nd Norm: 2002 Olympiad
                              Vranesic, Zvonko - 1st Norm: 1970 Olympiad
                              Zugic, Igor - 1st Norm: 2000 John W. (Jack) Collins International; 2nd Norm: 2003 CMA Futurity IV, Toronto

International Master (IM)
                              Barbeau, Sylvain - 1st Norm: 2001 Montreal International; 2nd Norm: 2002 Montreal International
                              Boyd, Stephen - 1st Norm: 1993 Cannes Summer Open
                              Goldenberg, Danny - 1st Norm: 2000 Cappelle-la-Grande, France
                              Hamilton, Robert - 1st Norm: 2003 Guelph Pro-Am International Open
                              Jiang, Louie - 1st Norm: 2009 Canadian Championship, Guelph, Ontario [registered with FIDE]
                              Kaminski, Victor - 1st Norm: 2008 New England Masters, Pawtucket, USA
                              Linskiy, Oleg - 1st Norm: 1997 North Bay International Open; 2nd Norm: 2002 Quebec Invitational
                              Milicevic, Goran - 1st Norm: 2004 Canadian Championship
                              Pushkedra, Frank - 1st Norm: 2002 Guelph Pro-Am International Open
                              Taylor, Gordon - 1st Norm: 1981 Vancouver Congress
                              Thavandiran, Shiyam - 1st Norm: 2009 Quebec Open Championship; 2nd Norm: 2010 World Junior Championship

Comment

Working...
                              X