Mark Bluvshtein sets sights on new career...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Bluvshtein sets sights on new career...

see latest blog post:

http://markbluvshtein.wordpress.com/.../the-decision/
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re : Mark Bluvshtein sets sights on new career...

It is always sad to see a grandmaster stopping to play. However I wish him the best luck in the future. Who knows, he might still play in some tournaments from time to time:)

Comment

Re: Re : Mark Bluvshtein sets sights on new career...

"investment banking" ?? I thought he had taken Science or Engineering at university.

Comment

Re: Re : Mark Bluvshtein sets sights on new career...

Originally posted by Terry Chaisson View Post
        "investment banking" ?? I thought he had taken Science or Engineering at university.
        Investment banking is just the first step in a long journey to being.... a LION TAMER!

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/vocation.htm
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Mark Bluvshtein sets sights on new career...

I applaud Mark's decision to take a leave from professional chess. His reasoning makes perfect sense and I completely understand his desire to explore other career opportunities. Mark has reached heights few others have as far as Canadian chess is concerned. He has served as a great ambassador for Canada and has been a very positive role model for our junior players. I most sincerely hope that he does not walk away from chess completely and have a feeling that he may return to active play part-time at some point in the future. It is critical to note as Mark points out that due to a lack of financial support from the various levels of government for chess, it is exceedingly difficult for one to make a good living playing. The provincial carding systen used in athletics which offers financial support to our developing talent could help but only to a certain extent. It certainly does not provide the kind of finacial support one needs to raise a family.
          Congrats to Mark and best wishes for the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Boross-Harmer View Post
            I applaud Mark's decision to take a leave from professional chess. His reasoning makes perfect sense and I completely understand his desire to explore other career opportunities. Mark has reached heights few others have as far as Canadian chess is concerned. He has served as a great ambassador for Canada and has been a very positive role model for our junior players. I most sincerely hope that he does not walk away from chess completely and have a feeling that he may return to active play part-time at some point in the future. It is critical to note as Mark points out that due to a lack of financial support from the various levels of government for chess, it is exceedingly difficult for one to make a good living playing. The provincial carding systen used in athletics which offers financial support to our developing talent could help but only to a certain extent. It certainly does not provide the kind of finacial support one needs to raise a family.
            Congrats to Mark and best wishes for the future!
            Hi Peter,

What you say...is sad, but true. Chess would be blessed by talents such as yourself...and Mark...if the financial rewards were there. We are fortunate to have a large number of dedicated souls who continue in our field despite what they could make in other areas...and the Canadian chess community should recognize these devoted individuals!

Perhaps I can do that at our Superfest 2012 :)

Will you be there with your awesome family?

Afterall...I want this event to be all about family!

Larry

Comment

Larry,
              Thanks for your kind words, especially about my family! My talent, sadly, has never remotely approached that of Mark`s though... Without the considerable support you have given to many promising junior stars, they would have had to find alternate ways to finance their learning. For this I thank you!
              Our family will most certainly be in attendance in 2012.
              All the best,
              Peter

Comment

Working...
              X