Chess in the Laurentians - Aug 15 -19, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in the Laurentians - Aug 15 -19, 2012

I had the very pleasurable chance to chat with many chessplayers this summer at the major events in the country...this is what I have come up with so far. Your comments and suggestions are welcome before final decisions will be made in September. You can always e-mail me at bevand@chess-math.org with your private comments.

Dates: Aug 15-19, 2012

Location: Hotel Chanteclair in Ste-Adele...45 minutes north of Montreal ( http://www.lechantecler.com/chantecler.php?lang=en

We have special room rates of $89.95 per night plus tax (1 - 4 in a room...2 double beds). Suites are available for an additional $25.00 per night (plus tax):

http://www.lechantecler.com/chantecler.php?lang=en

Main event: 5 rounds at the rate of 1 game per day. It is also possible to play 1 additional rated game.

ROUNDS:

(OPTIONAL) 6 pm on Wednesday Aug. 15, 2012
    (OPTIONAL) 6 pm on Thursday Aug 16 2012
    (OPTIONAL) 11 am on Friday Aug 17 2012
    (OPTIONAL) 6 pm on Friday Aug 17 2012

By the end of Friday Aug 17, 2012, you must have played 3 rated games (You can also request half point byes in advance for any of these rounds).

Your top 3 results (from these 4 rounds) will become your score going into round 4

ROUND 4: 11 am on Saturday Aug 18, 2012

TOURNAMENT BANQUET: Saturday Aug 18 at 6 PM

ROUND 5: 11 AM on Sunday Aug 19 2012

PRIZE CEREMONY: 5 pm Sunday Aug 19 2012

TIME CONTROL: 40/90' SD/30' + 30'' from move 1

We have built into this schedule lots of time for non-tournament activities. A blitz...siamese chess...and some neat ideas from elsewhere will be on the agenda...we wanna have fun!)

I have been told that in France they have done this very well. I will get back to you shortly with this.

First I would like your feedback on this format.

I also plan to have a 10-player FIDE rated round-robin section which would begin prior to the main event. It will include some of the most accomplished players from the Canadian Chess Challenge who are still active (the event turns 24 in 2012).

You can check out previous discussion on this subject at:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ht=laurentians

Larry

Re : Chess in the Laurentians - Aug 15 -19, 2012

I will participate in this tournament for sure...
    As I told you last week, you should have a reasonable prize fund, but should more aim at other activites on the week (such as the bughouse tournament, blitz tournament, a banquet, etc.) .

I'm not quite sure about the round-robin though. It will probably cost you a lot of money, while a good open could perfectly do the job. It all depends on what exactly you planned.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by Felix Dumont; Wednesday, 3rd August, 2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Chess in the Laurentians - Aug 15 -19, 2012

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      I will participate in this tournament for sure...
      As I told you last week, you should have a reasonable prize fund, but should more aim at other activites on the week (such as the bughouse tournament, blitz tournament, a banquet, etc.) .

I'm not quite sure about the round-robin though. It will probably cost you a lot of money, while a good open could perfectly do the job. It all depends on what exactly you planned.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Felix,

Your comments were extremely important to me!

I love your enthusiasm and the work you are doing with the FQE this summer...you can be sure I will be chatting with you in the near future.

Larry

Comment

Re: Chess in the Laurentians - Aug 15 -19, 2012

This looks like a very promising event held at a beautiful location. Side events (bughouse in particular) will make it even more exciting. I so seldom play these days but this event has captured my interest.

Comment

Re: Chess in the Laurentians - Aug 15 -19, 2012

Originally posted by Peter Boross-Harmer View Post
          This looks like a very promising event held at a beautiful location. Side events (bughouse in particular) will make it even more exciting. I so seldom play these days but this event has captured my interest.
          Hi Peter,

Obviously, I need the active tournament player for this event to be a success.

I am also hoping to draw back chessplayers who have been sidetracked by family (in a good way of course :)...afterall they are our clientele of the future...teehee :) .

Making this into a family experience is part of the challenge...I was in charge of the organizing committee of the 1982 Quebec Open...and in that year we drew over 500 players!

Gilbert Moore, the journalist who made it happen for us at that time has passed away...but his skills and talents are still very vivid in my mind! No Quebec Open has ever received this much publicity since!

Larry

Comment

Working...
          X