15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

Annex Chess Club is pleased to host the 2011 Canadian Women’s Chess Championship.

This event is sanctioned by the Chess Federation of Canada. The winner will become the Canadian Women’s Champion, and will earn a place on the 2012 Olympiad Women’s Team. The event will also raise funds for the 2012 Olympiad Women’s Team.

FIDE-rated 6-round Swiss, October 8 to 10

Entry Fee: $150 - proceeds to support the 2012 Olympiad Women's Team

Details and registration at http://annexchessclub.com/2011/08/15...pionship-2011/
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Re : 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

Are there restrictions regarding the minimal rating, or is it open to all?
    Also, I see that this is a projected prize fund. Does this mean the prizes can be higher or lower, depending on the number of entries?

I also have a question - and it is not at all a critic about your tournament in particular- : is there a deadline for organizers willing to bid for a national event, or could anyone decide to bid for an event, which could be held not even 6 weeks after? There are good women playing in Quebec and in B.C. and it is hard for them to participate in this tournament with so little time.

In any case, I will warn the Quebec women players about this event, hoping that some of them could represent us.

Comment

Re: Re : 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      I also have a question - and it is not at all a critic about your tournament in particular- : is there a deadline for organizers willing to bid for a national event, or could anyone decide to bid for an event, which could be held not even 6 weeks after?
      Only a recommendation:
      "Bids are normally presented at the Annual Meeting of the year preceding the tournament. For example, bids for all 1991 tournaments will be considered at the 1990 Annual Meeting. Annual Meetings are normally held in conjunction with the Canadian Open."
      and some special rules how to deal with one or two bids for the same event.
      More details at http://chess.ca/section-9

Comment

Also, I see that this is a projected prize fund. Does this mean the prizes can be higher or lower, depending on the number of entries?

I also have a question - and it is not at all a critic about your tournament in particular- : is there a deadline for organizers willing to bid for a national event, or could anyone decide to bid for an event, which could be held not even 6 weeks after? There are good women playing in Quebec and in B.C. and it is hard for them to participate in this tournament with so little time.

In any case, I will warn the Quebec women players about this event, hoping that some of them could represent us.
        I think, in the past, this event has been run as a Canadian Women's Closed. Because of the time constraints, CFC has allowed this change in format. Not only is it Open, but we are accepting registrations on site.

I would appreciate any help you could give us in attracting representation from Québec.
        Marcus Wilker
        Annex Chess Club
        Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Felix: The problem that was facing the Executive is that without a Canadian Women's Closed prior to Feb 2012, we would not have had an event to select the representative on the Olympic team. Because of this we felt that this event could go ahead even in conjunction with a 2012 event in July or August which would be too late to select the Olympic Team member.

Projected prize funds are not unusual even in National closed events. Adding additional women players means more money is being raised for the Olympic team (I think).

Comment

How does the name of the event translate in French?

Championnat d'échecs féminin canadien?
            Championnat féminin canadien d'échecs?
            Marcus Wilker
            Annex Chess Club
            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Re : 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

It makes a lot of adjectives in the same sentence. The best would be to say : Championnat féminin d'échecs du Canada. If you need more help translating the announcement, you can send it to me at felixdumont@fqechecs.qc.ca
              If you want to have the Quebec women players adresses, just write to info@fqechecs.qc.ca .

Comment

There are good women playing in Quebec and in B.C. and it is hard for them to participate in this tournament with so little time.
                ..also in Alberta and Nova Scotia. I don't see being hard to participate, when you say "so little time" I believe that is relative.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
                  How does the name of the event translate in French?

Championnat d'échecs féminin canadien?
                  Championnat féminin canadien d'échecs?
                  To attract more Quebec women players you need more than a good translation. As set up this will be another regional tournament called "national championship". We have seen a lot of them already and unfortunately they have become the "norm" in Canada.
                  Without means to lighten up the financial burden for potential out of town players (especially for top ones) the risks for most regions of Canada being under or not represented at all are very high. This is a most serious flaw for a "national championship".
                  I wonder how women Toronto players would react if the event was to be held in Victoria, BC or even in Quebec City under these conditions. Most of them would stay away for sure.
                  Obviously the bulk of top women players in Canada lives around Toronto but even so, giving up on having a true national event is always disappointing to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    Without means to lighten up the financial burden for potential out of town players (especially for top ones) the risks for most regions of Canada being under or not represented at all are very high. This is a most serious flaw for a "national championship".
                    I agree, but I'm not even sure where to start on this issue. Does the CFC have any government funding? How do the Canadian Olympiad teams raise money? How do athletes in other sports get to their national championships?
                    Marcus Wilker
                    Annex Chess Club
                    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Actually, we've seen the opposite extreme with CYCC from 1999-2005. 7 years of events where the national final never occurred in Southern Ontario. Southern Ontario players were actually more devoted travellers then any other group, despite very little support from their provincial organization. But that doesn't mean it was good for Canadian chess, placing the burden on youngsters in Southern Ontario to prop up the system.

Canadian women have been subjected to repeated threats of program cuts and very little recognition of their efforts. This has resulted in many veteran players retiring from active play, and much of the program depends on the interests of teenagers. Many of those teenagers are entering university programs, making player retention difficult short term. No matter how good or bad new organizers will be now, its an uphill battle overcoming these factors.

It remains to be seen how many veteran players will re-enter the chess scene and be interested in various events.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 19th August, 2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
                        I agree, but I'm not even sure where to start on this issue.
                        Agreeing that the current situation (which applies to all national championship, not just the women's) is thoroughly unsatisfactory would be a good start but reading this message board one can see that going even that far seems to be an impossible task. There are always those who are in needs to defend the status quo by saying that "this is better than nothing". With that frame of mind things don't change and continue to be done as last minute rescues.
                        I probably repeat myself but in this matter the CFC is responsible. Until it decides to set up binding guidelines and respectable standards for all its national championships, we will see lots of so-called "national championships" reduced to regional or even local affairs with no concern for ensuring fair chances for (top) players from all regions of Canada.

Comment

Re: 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Agreeing that the current situation (which applies to all national championship, not just the women's) is thoroughly unsatisfactory would be a good start but reading this message board one can see that going even that far seems to be an impossible task. There are always those who are in needs to defend the status quo by saying that "this is better than nothing". With that frame of mind things don't change and continue to be done as last minute rescues.
                          I probably repeat myself but in this matter the CFC is responsible. Until it decides to set up binding guidelines and respectable standards for all its national championships, we will see lots of so-called "national championships" reduced to regional or even local affairs with no concern for ensuring fair chances for (top) players from all regions of Canada.
                          Maybe amateur sports is too high a bar for chess to set itself, but what about comparison to the Canadain math olympiad. Note the corporate sponsorship, university partnership, ...
                          Marcus Wilker
                          Annex Chess Club
                          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Re: 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship 2011 - October 8 to 10

The name on CFC website is wrong: "
                            Canadian Women's Closed Championship (non-Zonal)
                            . The event website is correct:
                            Canadian Women’s Chess Championship 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                              Southern Ontario players were actually more devoted travellers then any other group
                              that's true, unless of course you're speaking factually, in which case it's patently false

from 1999-2005, the average distance a player from vancouver would have had to travel is far greater than the average distance a player from toronto would have had to travel. this is also true for many other cities in the western and eastern regions of canada

but don't let reality get in the way of your complaining
                              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                              X