CFC Crosstables and Ratings pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Crosstables and Ratings pages

Let's get back on topic and ignore the "hijackers".

As I mentioned on the CFC discussion board:

The FQE search engine gives you all Heberts and Héberts - no matter which way you search for it (Hebert or Hébert).

The FIDE search engine gives you all names with "Bert" in them if you enter "Hébert" - you must enter "Hebert", which gives you all the Heberts (no accents). Similarly - a FIDE search for "Hübner" gives you nothing - you must enter "Huebner".

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Yeah. Well, when I go to the site the page comes up fast. Then I have to wait and wait for the page to completely load. That happens with every function I want on the site.

I have a fast cable connection.

I kind of sit here waiting and rooting for the page to load.
      On my computer (Windows 7 64 bit) and Bell High Speed Internet, I find that the new web site loads quite quickly using both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 9 (32 bit). Using Firefox 5 there was a momentary pause before the page loaded. Similarly with Firefox 6, there is a little delay loading (well less than a second). Safari 5 is OK -- not so fast as Chrome or IE but still just fine.

The delay in loading might be related to the fact that visiting http://www.chess.ca redirects to chess.ca possibly causing some DNS lookup problems (but this is just wild speculation on my part). Directly loading http://chess.ca seems to load a tiny bit faster with Firefox.

But I'm really nit picking here to say that the CFC site loads "slowly". In any of the 5 browsers I've got on my computer, the CFC site loads quickly -- all pages not just the home page. The performance is more than acceptable. I'd say it tends towards above average (way better than sites like sympatico.ca or the Toronto Star home page).

Using the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/), I see there are a few small errors in the coding on the home page. That's not terribly unusual -- very few web pages conform exactly to the W3C specs. On certain browsers, those issues *might* cause slow page loading.

If there are issues, my best guess is that they may be related to the redirect from www.chess.ca to chess.ca and extra DNS queries that might be required. Otherwise I'm at a loss to figure out why the page load might be stalling. Internet Service Providers are doing lots of weaselly things these days with DNS lookups to force bad queries to pages where they can make some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

The FQE search engine gives you all Heberts and Héberts - no matter which way you search for it (Hebert or Hébert).

The FIDE search engine gives you all names with "Bert" in them if you enter "Hébert" - you must enter "Hebert", which gives you all the Heberts (no accents). Similarly - a FIDE search for "Hübner" gives you nothing - you must enter "Huebner".
        Accent independent searches are really tricky. It depends on how the characters are stored in the database (i.e. what encoding is used) and what facility the underlying database has to ignore accents. There are a number of ways to tackle this but it gets even trickier if you extend you allowed languages beyond just English and French (say, to include Spanish or German names).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

We find everybody with and without accents with h*bert !!

Hugh, As you know we are trying decide whether to strip the accents from the rating and crosstable section.

Comment

I guess it could be my browser which is an older version of IE. I have Rogers internet and am using my older 3.0 GHZ computer which is hooked to the cable. Later this evening I'll give it a try with a newer computer with Windows 7 on my wireless network for load time.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Vlad,

Yes, I completely agree with you. I do try to be respectful with my posts. I keep thinking this is democracy, but keep getting stabbed, lol. It is chesstalk after all. :D

Mikhail

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Why, it is Shakespeare my good friend. I shall explain it to you on friday as you remove the knife from my back. :D Just kidding. ;)

And what of this talk of dictatorship again! Have you been speaking to Mr. Barron again?
                Did I not expressly forbid that! :D:D:D
                I studied Shakespeare in high school 11 years ago. I do love Shakespeare but decided it was not my thing! I concentrate on chess nowdays. I will be late this Friday, and, If you want to talk about Shakespeare, I will pass. I prefer to concentrate on chess on Friday. It is chessclub after all, and don't you have a game to play, that night. As I recall, you are leading the tournament with last round to go. I would really hate to see you lose, because you were explaining Shakespeare for most of the night to me! :D

It's funny, but I thought I was getting stabbed in the back. :D Was it passed at AGM meeting? Sorry, I missed that 'order', and was not present at AGM meeting. I promise, that I will not miss it again! :D:D just jocking :)

Anyways, last time I talked to Barron was regarding 2011 Pan-American participation, and that was it.:)

Mikhail

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  I guess it could be my browser which is an older version of IE. I have Rogers internet and am using my older 3.0 GHZ computer which is hooked to the cable. Later this evening I'll give it a try with a newer computer with Windows 7 on my wireless network for load time.
                  This sort of problem can drive a person crazy trying to sort out because there are so many variables.

The speed of your computer (3.0 GHz) should be more than adequate. As far as the browser goes, unless you're running the *dreaded* Internet Explorer 6, you should be fine.

If I was a betting man (which I am decidedly not), I would bet on it being some sort of issue with your ISP (Rogers). It would be interesting to hear from other visitors to the CFC web site who are having performance issues who their ISP is.

It will also be interesting to see if your Windows 7 computers works better in which case I think we'd have to conclude that your older computer is possessed. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                    This sort of problem can drive a person crazy trying to sort out because there are so many variables.
                    :)

IE8: Loads but with an error:
                    Code:
                    "Webpage error details
                    Line: 1
                    Char: 1972
                    Code: 0
                    URI: http://chess.ca/themes/cfc/sorter.packed.js?lq13zl
                    I counted till 3 (~2s) to load a page w/ IE and Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                      I As I recall, you are leading the tournament with last round to go. I would really hate to see you lose, because you were explaining Shakespeare for most of the night to me! :D
                      Mikhail
                      I found this on ye olde internet,

Caesar:
                      "Et tu, Brute?"
                      Julius Caesar (III, i, 77)
                      Perhaps the most famous three words uttered in literature, "Et tu, Brute?" (Even you, Brutus?) this expression has come down in history to mean the ultimate betrayal by one's closest friend. This scene, in which the conspirators in the Senate assassinate Caesar, is one of the most dramatic moments on the Shakespearean stage. The audience has just witnessed the arrogance and hubris of a ruler who has sought, within a republic, to become a monarch, comparing himself to the gods. Brutus, a friend of Caesar and yet a man who loves Rome (and freedom) more, has joined the conspirators in the assassination, a betrayal which is captured by the three words above.

Consider that your lesson, I want to concentrate on chess too friday night. :D
                      Anyway, don't forget we need to set up for weekend tournament. :)

Hamilton Summer Open! :D This weekend.

Comment

The speed of your computer (3.0 GHz) should be more than adequate. As far as the browser goes, unless you're running the *dreaded* Internet Explorer 6, you should be fine.

If I was a betting man (which I am decidedly not), I would bet on it being some sort of issue with your ISP (Rogers). It would be interesting to hear from other visitors to the CFC web site who are having performance issues who their ISP is.

It will also be interesting to see if your Windows 7 computers works better in which case I think we'd have to conclude that your older computer is possessed. :)
                        Rogers DNS servers are allegedly very flakey [edit: some consider that a charitable designation - many people claim their dns servers are overloaded or just plain broken] ...

I am on Rogers and have not used their dns servers for several years. Changing one's dns servers is simple, but like most things related to computing, fraught with danger for novices... The comment about the redirection (was it from www.chess.ca to chess.ca?) might be relevant in cases where people are using ISP dns servers (often crappy).
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          I found this on ye olde internet,

Caesar:
                          "Et tu, Brute?"
                          Julius Caesar (III, i, 77)
                          Perhaps the most famous three words uttered in literature, "Et tu, Brute?" (Even you, Brutus?) this expression has come down in history to mean the ultimate betrayal by one's closest friend. This scene, in which the conspirators in the Senate assassinate Caesar, is one of the most dramatic moments on the Shakespearean stage. The audience has just witnessed the arrogance and hubris of a ruler who has sought, within a republic, to become a monarch, comparing himself to the gods. Brutus, a friend of Caesar and yet a man who loves Rome (and freedom) more, has joined the conspirators in the assassination, a betrayal which is captured by the three words above.

Consider that your lesson, I want to concentrate on chess too friday night. :D
                          Anyway, don't forget we need to set up for weekend tournament. :)

Hamilton Summer Open! :D This weekend.
                          I hope this lesson is not too expensive, or should I expect an expensive bill in the mail within a week! :D

I already looked it up on google! The only thing I am still not sure about is who were referring to. Were you referring to a certain organization/'fearless' leader when you quoted Shakespeare: “Et tu Brute?”. :D

It does not really matter, since it’s all empty talk anyways. Less talk, more things gets done. :D

Yes, I prefer to concentrate on chess this weekend myself. Hamilton Summer Open will be a blast!!!
                          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Wednesday, 17th August, 2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Also - found on the Internet:

The only occurrence of the word "chess" in any of Shakespeare's works.

From "The Tempest" (act V, scene 1):

[Here PROSPERO discovers FERDINAND and MIRANDA]
                            playing at chess]

Miranda. Sweet lord, you play me false.
                            Ferdinand. No, my dear'st love,
                            I would not for the world.
                            Miranda. Yes, for a score of kingdoms you should wrangle,
                            And I would call it, fair play.
                            Alonso. If this prove
                            A vision of the Island, one dear son
                            Shall I twice lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                              Everyone knows that chesstalk is designed to share latest chess news,
                              express their opinions and suggestions. Just to point out, my post only an opinion and 'opinion' only, and nothing more. We live in democracy, not dictatorship. As far as I understand, in democracy, opinions are encouraged! :D

Hi Bob,
                              Sorry, but I do not know what these words mean. Maybe one day you will enlighten me on their meaning. Going by mad expression face in your post, I take it that you are offended with my post. Sorry to hear that, but I am simply stating my opinion to general public. Thanks.

Mikhail
                              Its a quote from Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar", when everyone is stabbing Caesar his friend Brutus delivers the unkindest cut of them all because it was unexpected.

EDIT: I really should read the whole thread before hitting reply....

Comment

The newer computer with Windows 7 professional with an i7 Intel chip and HD screen does load that site a lot quicker. And that's on my wireless network.

The older computer really isn't that bad. I routinely have 6 to 10 screen open at a time and it's a combination of IE, Mozilla and sometimes Safari. You know what they say about postal players and computers. :)
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X