Got screwed this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got screwed this weekend

So in my last time (or so I plan) running a 1 day tournament in Windsor, I decide to go with a Pro-Am setup.

I get everyone registered, and games are off, awesome. 9 juniors, 6 pros, not too bad.

After the second of this 4 round tournament, a parent tells me that his son, in the juniors section, is 18!!!

Now logically, if he had told me this ahead of time, I completely wouldn't have accepted his son in the tournament. Adding just one adult to that junior section increases the ratings fee for the others by $20, not to mention the fact that 4 of them have expired memberships now means that each of those 4 should technically owe $27 for memberships.

I asked for an exception to some of the CFC rating regulations for this. Even after being told this guy was 18, I still couldn't see him looking over 15 when I look at his face.

Way to ruin my NM title weekend. :(

Denton

Re: Got screwed this weekend

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    After the second of this 4 round tournament, a parent tells me that his son, in the juniors section, is 18!!!
    Junior for rating purposes:
    "The CFC membership requirement is waived for Junior events (tournaments or matches). An event is considered Junior for the purposes of this section if all the players meet the age requirements of the World Junior of the year following the year in which the event ends. [Updated; Keshet/Stockhausen 1999]"

Thus ~20 years.

Comment

I also thought Juniors were under 20 years old. Am I incorrect? Who told you otherwise?

What was the time control for the Amateur Section?
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Well I'd be pretty happy if the age rule is 20.

The time control was SD 60, so it's a standard tournament.

I thought the classification was based on which membership one qualifies for. Does a 19 year old then qualify for the $27 junior membership then?

Denton

Comment

According to the handbook http://chess.ca/section-2

"9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who is under the age of 18, shall be granted a Junior membership or a Junior Participating Membership."

Let's hope the rating supplementary regulations quoted by Egidijus take precedence. ;)

Comment

They are separate... so while he doesn't get a cheaper membership rate anymore, he also doesn't mess up the Junior-ness of your event.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              According to the handbook http://chess.ca/section-2

"9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who is under the age of 18, shall be granted a Junior membership or a Junior Participating Membership."

Let's hope the rating supplementary regulations quoted by Egidijus take precedence. ;)
              I haven't seen any reference to this in the Handbook, but I seem to recall (although foggily) that the age for junior membership was changed to under 20 (not sure the exact details) a couple of years ago.

Comment

I'm really glad you guys are here.

You made me feel a lot about all this.

Comment

I asked for an exception to some of the CFC rating regulations for this. Even after being told this guy was 18, I still couldn't see him looking over 15 when I look at his face.
                  Didn't you ask for proof of age? Seniors are also often asked for proof of age when requesting a seniors discount. It's pretty standard.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    I haven't seen any reference to this in the Handbook, but I seem to recall (although foggily) that the age for junior membership was changed to under 20 (not sure the exact details) a couple of years ago.
                    We have a junior prize at the GPO this year. When considering what this meant, I went to the CFC site for guidance - it's not given on the membership page where I would have expected to see it. The only number I found was the aforementioned 20 years somewhere.

It would be useful to have 'junior' defined on the membership page next to all those rates for juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Didn't you ask for proof of age? Seniors are also often asked for proof of age when requesting a seniors discount. It's pretty standard.
                      Our tournaments are small affairs where the players are usually all known by me.
                      We pretty much know all the kids that play chess seriously.

If there's some suspicion, the we could ask for proof of age, but this guy looked 16 at most.

Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        For most of the participants of these University tournaments, there is no doubt. A few of the kids look older than they are because they are tall for their age but there is lots of room for error when you are talking about seven year olds.

Comment

If there's some suspicion, the we could ask for proof of age, but this guy looked 16 at most.

Denton
                          When I ask my barber for my seniors discount he tells me I looked 80 before he cut the hair and now I look 50. The government sends a seniors card.

Things like age of majority cards are used.

Looks don't matter.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                            We have a junior prize at the GPO this year. When considering what this meant, I went to the CFC site for guidance - it's not given on the membership page where I would have expected to see it. The only number I found was the aforementioned 20 years somewhere.

It would be useful to have 'junior' defined on the membership page next to all those rates for juniors.
                            Even as CFC Treasurer, I know there is some confusion here. I think what happened is that there was a motion that passed, but it was deemed to require a 2/3 Gov participation as a constitutional amendment (only 60% voted). I am going to have this cleared up at the Oct Governor's Meeting.

Denton: I think you are OK to submit your event as junior only.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                              Even as CFC Treasurer, I know there is some confusion here. I think what happened is that there was a motion that passed, but it was deemed to require a 2/3 Gov participation as a constitutional amendment (only 60% voted). I am going to have this cleared up at the Oct Governor's Meeting.

Denton: I think you are OK to submit your event as junior only.
                              Great! Thanks!

Denton

Comment

Working...
                              X