2012 Canadian Zonal and Goddesschess Women's closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Canadian Zonal and Goddesschess Women's closed

Both the 2012 Men's zonal and the 2012 Women's zonals will be held in Montréal from August 4 to August 11. The tournament is organized by the Club d'échecs du Collège de Maisonneuve. Here are the main lines :
    -Canadian closed -
    Guaranteed prize fund of 6000$
    9 rounds on 8 days
    Rating requirements of 2200 CFC, 2100 FQE/FIDE
    Organizers from all across Canada will receive the possibility to organize qualification tournaments.

-Women's closed-
    A major sponsorship from Goddesschess will give a total prize fund of 1450$ and will allow the tournament to be held on 8 days, at the same time as the Canadian closed. The winner of the 2011 edition will also receive free accomodation.
    Montréal (Québec) H1V 3R2

www.ccc2012.yolasite.com
    Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012, 04:16 PM.

Re: 2012 Canadian Zonal and Goddesschess Women's closed

[QUOTE=Felix Dumont;42399]Eligibility: Women with a CFC rating over 1700 or with a FIDE/FQE rating over 1600.QUOTE]

Can someone explain please the logic behind this CFC vs FQE rating eligibility?

I notice it also on CMA ratings, but when the kids from BC are playing with QC kids the western provinces are gaining ratings. When Louie Jang moved from BC to QC, his rating jump right away, that means in my view that QC ratings are higher than CFC(BC).

Based on this link from CMA with stats:
    http://members4.boardhost.com/chess-...306535061.html
    in this year CCC:
    Net rating points LOST by QC: 32

Net rating points GAINED by ON: 254
    Net rating points GAINED by MB: 450
    Net rating points GAINED by SK: 631
    Net rating points LOST by AB: 94
    Net rating points GAINED by BC: 1201

Also regarding FIDE rating, considering the U2200 players this is the statistic from CFC webpage:

FIDE Rating list of May 1st, 2011 (Players Active since 2007)
    For Players CFC U2200 (265 players): FIDE = CFC - 5.7

... but this is fair for everyone.

This is the list of CFC rated players that might pass or already pass 1600 CFC (maybe 1700 CFC also) before the tournament but are still under 1700 CFC:

20 Todd, Adie Calgary, AB 1667 2011-08-22
    21 Powell, Samantha Kapuskasing, ON 1654 2011-04-30
    22 Sametova, Zhanna Toronto, ON 1629 2011-09-05
    23 Giblon, Rebecca Thornhill, ON 1611 2011-09-05
    24 Foote, Joanne Richmond, BC 1598 2011-07-09
    25 Lee, Mei Chen Toronto, ON 1590 2010-07-19
    26 Wang, Yan Montreal, QC 1574 2011-07-09
    27 Lee, Melissa Windsor, ON 1563 2011-04-25
    28 Yu, Kexin Lachine, QC 1557 2011-07-09
    29 Giblon, Melissa Thornhill, ON 1519 2011-09-05
    30 Martens, Stephanie Ottawa, ON 1507 2011-04-14
    31 Liu, Jiaxin Richmond Hill, ON 1502 2011-09-05

Out of 12 players, 2 are from QC, but I bleieve they qualify already based on QC (1600+) ratings.

Andrei

Comment

Re : 2012 Canadian Zonal and Goddesschess Women's closed

The average rating difference for the Quebec players that are both active CFC and FQE is of about 120 points. The difference gets a lot higher if the players plays a lot of games (for instance Sambuev, who has 200 points of difference between the FQE and the CFC ratings).
      The USCF stats show the same and they take the CFC rating, but add 100 points to the FQE or FIDE rating.

Also, we should not compare the CMA rating, since they are not calculated the same way (with bonus points) and because the best kids rarely play after a certain level.

If we look at the last Canadian Open for instance, nearly all Quebecers scored a lot more than their rating (look at Myriam Roy, Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratté, Martial Larochelle...).
      Of course, we must admit that the CFC rating inflation is higher in Ontario that it is in BC, because it depend of the number of tournaments...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
        When Louie Jang moved from BC to QC, his rating jump right away, that means in my view that QC ratings are higher than CFC(BC).
        I played Louie in one of his very first event in Quebec. He was way weaker than he is now. His rating moved up because he got better playing the much stronger Quebec opposition! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          I played Louie in one of his very first event in Quebec. He was way weaker than he is now. His rating moved up because he got better playing the much stronger Quebec opposition! :)
          Oh Jean, why don't you ask Louie.

Comment

Honestly, I don't see what's the big deal with 1700 cfc or 1600 fqe. Unless you're a super duper awesome junior who hasn't played chess and just came from the north pole where you were on a 2 year hiatus studying chess non-stop, there's really no way someone around that level has a chance in the closed. In fact, it's probably better to have some kind of standards for the women's championship as to provide good competition for the eventual winner and/or runner-ups
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
              Oh Jean, why don't you ask Louie.
              nice, hotlinked posts are what i like to see!!!
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Where is the tournament website?

Norm

Comment

Re : 2012 Canadian Zonal and Goddesschess Women's closed

Sorry, I forgot to add it in this post. Here it is : http://ccc2012.yolasite.com/

Comment

Rd 1: Saturday, 4pm
                    Rd 2: Sunday, 10 pm
                    Rd 3: Sunday, 4 pm

Correct this to Sunday 10AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X