Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Different levels of chess thinking

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    I remember I once heard about a quote from a super-GM (maybe it was Nigel Short?) who had been persuaded to have a look at a game between 1600s. His response was something like: "I had forgotten chess was played like this."
    That's what I mean!

I did just figure out how I can get what I'm looking for (somewhat).
    I need to find a position that is explained in depth (not as much variations) by a GM. First, I'll write out my own take on the position, then read the GMs. That should help to see how far away I am.

I did want to see the see the thing for different levels, because let's be honest, none of us are going to jump from class A players directly to GM strength.

I guess what I'm looking for can be summed up in a great book title as:

The evolution of chess thinking from patzer to grandmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
      I guess what I'm looking for can be summed up in a great book title as:

The evolution of chess thinking from patzer to grandmaster
      For the average player that might be aiming a bit high. Striving to play a class or two higher might be more realistic. In my experience, chess rating don't simply rise. A player has to learn something which will improve a part of his game and/or identify bad habits and play and then avoid that. Over the years my tutors have mostly been of East European origin.

Many years ago when I was writing the correspondence magazine many games in each issue were from weaker players. It was my view any player should be able to read the magazine and have a reasonable chance of finding one of his games in print.

A D class player once wrote me when sending in his result and scoresheet. He was an older man, as I recall (It was around 35 years ago). He told me that when I published games by the higher rated players with their notes he had no idea of what they were trying to say and could not understand the points they were making. With a game played and noted by another D class player he could see and understand what the player was writing.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

A D class player once wrote me when sending in his result and scoresheet. He was an older man, as I recall (It was around 35 years ago). He told me that when I published games by the higher rated players with their notes he had no idea of what they were trying to say and could not understand the points they were making. With a game played and noted by another D class player he could see and understand what the player was writing.
        That is the hurdle one has to get over in order to get better: to understand notes and moves done by stronger players. That which you understand easily without effort are of little use, just like the problems that one solves in a split second. No pain, no gain...

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          That is the hurdle one has to get over in order to get better: to understand notes and moves done by stronger players. That which you understand easily without effort are of little use, just like the problems that one solves in a split second. No pain, no gain...
          That's true.

In this case it was an older man who entered the 4 player Class D tournaments and seemed to have no interest in improving. There were a number of players who liked to play each other and when one event ended they would all enter another one asking to be paired together.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            It depends. A writer should know his audience and a purpose of the writing. IMHO, you don't read a newspaper to become a PM :)

Comment

The goal of an aspiring chess writer par excellence should be to help players of whatever his target audience's approximate rating range improve as quickly as possible, by providing nothing but highly concentrated words of enlightenment, instructions on how to tailor one's own chess study program and tournament strategies, plus suggesting an appropriate regime of chess training and exercises, with a discussion of physical training and dietary considerations. :)
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 21st September, 2011, 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
              X