Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In todays "The Gazette"

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...004/story.html

Please take note that in the digital version of the paper the letter "pi" doesn't look the way it should.

In today's "The Gazette"

Is the reporter/author any relation to the Rubin brothers?

Nice article!

Thanks.

Comment

Re: In todays "The Gazette"

The reporter (Josh Rubin) did a brief interview with me at the Cafe. I mentioned to him that there was a another "Josh" and another "Rubin" in the Cafe at the same time. The "other Rubin" was one of the "Rubin brothers" (Gerry) - no relation to the reporter.

Comment

If memory serves, I think I played Gerry Rubin in the 1965 Canadian Intercollegiate in Montreal ( I played first board for UWO ) and lost.

Bob

Comment

I don't think Gerry Rubin ever went to university. His father may have been a TD, and may have allowed him to play. Do you remember what university he claimed to represent?

(this Eastern Canadian Intercollegiate was held at the Université de Montréal Jan. 29-31, 1965. It was "under the control of J.K. MacDonald and J. Fontaine" - Ledain chess column, Montreal Gazette, Feb. 6, 1965).

Comment

Hi Hugh:

That was the tournament - freezing cold in Montreal at that time, as I remember it.

I'll have to look to see if I may have my old score sheets from this one. My memory is not so reliable anymore !

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Hugh:

That was the tournament - freezing cold in Montreal at that time, as I remember it.

I'll have to look to see if I may have my old score sheets from this one. My memory is not so reliable anymore !

Bob
              I recall the cold weather and being up on a hill (or a mountain as it seemed in my memory-Montreal always called the hill at Mount Royal a mountain, so who knows), but I don't recall being an organizer! I recall playing at Hart House the year before in the University ch, but couldn't find any games, darn it. Looking was fun, though, as I found a couple of games vs. Coudari (wins), a few against the Rubin brothers (all losses) and one vs. J. Labelle (a win). I suspect Labelle and Coudari were babies when I played them! I don't think I played in the U ch in Montreal, only at Hart House in Toronto the year before.

Comment

Armstrong - R. Rubin

I found the game recopied in some old games I have.

I played 2nd board for UWO ( thought I had played first because I had won the UWO Championship for 1964-5, but now I think the UWO club organizer, Grant Evans, played first board ). I played white against " R. " Rubin - is Gerry's brother's name " Robert " ? - this is the name I recollect:

[Event "Canadian Intercollegiate Championship"]
                [Site "Montreal"]
                [Date "1965.01.??"]
                [Round "?"]
                [White "Armstrong, Robert J."]
                [Black "Rubin, R."]
                [Result "0-1"]
                [ECO "E61"]
                [Annotator "Armstrong,Robert"]
                [PlyCount "88"]
                [EventDate "1965.01.??"]
                [EventType "game"]
                [SourceDate "2011.09.26"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. Nc3 d6 5. e3 O-O 6. h3 Na6 7. c5 b6 8. cxd6
                exd6 9. Be2 Nb4 10. a3 Nc6 11. O-O Bb7 12. b4 Ne7 13. Bb2 Rc8 14. b5 c5 15.
                bxc6 Nxc6 16. Rc1 Na5 17. Nd2 Nd5 18. Nb3 Nxb3 19. Qxb3 Nxc3 20. Rxc3 Rxc3 21.
                Bxc3 Qd7 22. Rc1 Kh8 23. d5 Rc8 24. e4 Bxc3 25. Rxc3 Rxc3 26. Qxc3+ Kg8 27. Qd4
                Qc7 28. Qb2 a6 29. a4 Qc5 30. Kh2 ?? -/+ (30. Qf6 +/-) 30... Qxf2 31. Qd2 Qc5
                32. g4 b5 33. axb5 axb5 34. Bf3 b4 35. e5 Qc3 36. Qxc3 bxc3 37. Bd1 Bxd5 38.
                exd6 Kf8 39. Kg3 g5 40. h4 gxh4+ 41. Kxh4 Be4 42. Kg5 c2 43. Bxc2 Bxc2 44. d7
                Ke7 0-1

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                  ...but I don't recall being an organizer!
                  It is part of history now. Somehow you "controlled" it! :)

Comment

As I recall of the Rubin brothers, Robert was a normal well-behaved person.
                    On the other hand, Gerald Rubin was a real piece of work then! During the Canadian Open in Kingston (I see from the archives it was in 1966) Gerald won a pawn against Pal Benko. For the rest of the game he did not sit at the board while Benko was pondering his move. Instead he put one foot on his chair and, leaning in his knee, he would twirl the pawn in his fingers. Benko went on to lose the game and afterwards, I recall, he paced the circumference of the playing hall muttering "I'll kick his ass! I'll kick his ass!" I don't know if he ever did.

Comment

:-) :-) :-) :-)
                      Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Saturday, 1st December, 2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X