Ivory Tower (chess movie in Ottawa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivory Tower (chess movie in Ottawa)

I just got an email from the ByTowne Cinema: they are showing a chess-themed comedy called "Ivory Tower" on Wed. Sept 28, 7 p.m.

for details, and a trailer, see:

bytowne

Re: Ivory Tower (chess movie in Ottawa)

It was shown as a side event at the 2011 Can. Open - got mixed reviews from the viewers. I enjoyed it, and the theme it works around.

Bob

Comment

i have been to the bytowne. nice cinema but their popcorn is v bunk. looks like they have some cool stuff coming up
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

CFC office on Besserer Street was two blocks from what is now known as the ByTowne Cinema (at the time, it was called the Nelson). We had to move the office, and it ended up not terribly far from the Towne Cinema on Beechwood Avenue. Unfortunately, I never had much time to attend either cinema, though I did go once to an iconic showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was perhaps the only attendee who did not know all the words.

Comment

If you like jazz music and/or Chilli Gonzales go. Otherwise, avoid like the plague.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Art film, campy Canadian humour. Some inside chess references, but one thing I don't get. If you know enough to make references to Polgar, etc., can't you make a film that has real chess moves on the board? (And I'm not talking about the "jazz chess" games.)
            Marcus Wilker
            Annex Chess Club
            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Just saw it. Great fun. Over the top. Highly recommended.
              Even my wife, a non-chess player, enjoyed it.

Comment

I see this movie on itunes now - any further suggestions about being worth seeing or not?

Comment

Working...
                X