WYCC in Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYCC in Brazil

It looks like 40 players (80 people including parents) will be in Brazil in November 2011.

I think it is great that Canadian youngsters get to play abroad. However (yes I know ...tis the however part) it is not clear to me...what the rules are for qualification to this event are from a Canadian (CFC) perspective.

I have asked around...but have not had a clear answer (maybe I am asking the wrong people).

Basically there are 12 sections at the CYCC and at the WYCC: U8, U10, U12, U14, U16, U18...Open and Girls...so that makes a total of 12 sections...the top player in each section has their lodging and meals covered by the organizers...so that amounts to 12 players..so let's assume that all those who finished 2nd and 3rd...are paying their own way...and that they are all taking part...okay that brings us to 36...hmmm we have 40...probably one of the largest delegations in the world (outside of South America).

Can someone from the CFC answer the following question:

1 - What are the rules for a Canadian to take part in the 2011 WYCC?

2 - How many of the 40 youngsters who are representing Canada at this event either placed in the top 3 at the 2011 CYCC or have a CFC rating which would place them in the top 3 in the country in their age category?

I am sincerely confused about this...even after having asked some of the people in the know....who also seem to be as confused as me :)

Larry

Re : WYCC in Brazil

Also, will they have a coach? And will he or they be strong enough for the players? I guess they will probably be very strong, seeing how a Quebec FM was discarded :)

Comment

Re: WYCC in Brazil

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      Can someone from the CFC answer the following question:

1 - What are the rules for a Canadian to take part in the 2011 WYCC?
      You should read from time to time chess.ca too :p
      from http://chess.ca/section-10
      "(d) All other CYCC participants wishing to participate at WYCC are eligible to submit to CFC their applications for participation during 15 days after ending of CYCC. CFC Executive has the right to reject the application if the applicant's level at their discretion is significantly lower than the average level of his/her category at WYCC. All players whose applications are approved will be eligible to participate at WYCC using their own funds plus paying extra fee of $150 to CFC Youth Program fund."

will they have a coach?
      They should. Half-month news: "Offers have been sent and final decisions on coaching staff are being finalized.
      I will announce once we have the name(s) of any and all coaching staff.
      " by Patrick McDonald at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1975

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        You should read from time to time chess.ca too :p
        from http://chess.ca/section-10
        "(d) All other CYCC participants wishing to participate at WYCC are eligible to submit to CFC their applications for participation during 15 days after ending of CYCC. CFC Executive has the right to reject the application if the applicant's level at their discretion is significantly lower than the average level of his/her category at WYCC. All players whose applications are approved will be eligible to participate at WYCC using their own funds plus paying extra fee of $150 to CFC Youth Program fund."

They should. Half-month news: "Offers have been sent and final decisions on coaching staff are being finalized.
        I will announce once we have the name(s) of any and all coaching staff.
        " by Patrick McDonald at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1975
        Thanks!

Since you are in the know :)

Could you tell me:

1 - Who are the players who bought their way into the WYCC?

2 - Who is (are) our coach (s) ?

Larry

Comment

I don't have this info. It would be possible to figure out comparing CYCC crosstables and the list at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...08&postcount=2

2 - Who is (are) our coach (es) ?
          I don't have this info. Patrick McDonald is a person who must know :)

Comment

Larry,

I created the Blog for Cadandian WYCC 2011 Team for sharing WYCC information. From there you can find recent information. However the coaches announcement has not been updated yet.
            http://wycc2011canada.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks!

Since you are in the know :)

Could you tell me:

2 - Who is (are) our coach (s) ?

Larry
              Hi Larry: I'm surprised in this era of what I thought was mutual co-operation you would choose to use a phrase "bought their way into the WYCC" ?

I assume Patrick will release the names of the other two coaches in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                Hi Larry: I'm surprised in this era of what I thought was mutual co-operation you would choose to use a phrase "bought their way into the WYCC" ?
                What would you call it?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  What would you call it?
                  The CFC has a set method of qualification for the WYCC. It encompasses more than the top 3, which was the old rule. However, by allowing extra players to compete we are adding to our expenses and this year we needed to hire 3 coaches.

It is only natural that the extra players, whom have received the approval of the Youth Co-ordinator would help pay for the coach. He has the option of turning away any player who would not be competitive, as per the regulations.

I think using a phrase like "buying their way onto the team", is simply grandstanding.

Comment

I think using a phrase like "buying their way onto the team", is simply grandstanding.
                    OK. It's the phrase to which you object. So I ask you again, what would you call it? Is the extra fee of $150. not a sale price for the spot?

This is from Section 10 under additional players.

d) All other CYCC participants wishing to participate at WYCC are eligible to submit to CFC their applications for participation during 15 days after ending of CYCC. CFC Executive has the right to reject the application if the applicant's level at their discretion is significantly lower than the average level of his/her category at WYCC. All players whose applications are approved will be eligible to participate at WYCC using their own funds plus paying extra fee of $150 to CFC Youth Program fund.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Buying your way onto the team has an implied sense that these people are not worthy team members.

We are recognizing the practicality that with additional players come additional expenses. I don't think $150 is unreasonable for a 1/14 share of a chess coach for 10 or 11 days.

Comment

Buying your way onto the team has an implied sense that these people are not worthy team members.
                        So 3 top tiered players who pay $150.00 are NOT WORTHY team members???

I wonder who made that decision???

Obviously this 3 top juniors are WORTHY team members, they should be allowed to pay and join the WYCC team, if they decide to do so. :D

CFC should not stand in their way, which is doing exactly that!

I wonder who made that decision???

Comment

There are those that would argue that anyone that doesn't make the top three in CYCC isn't a worthy Canadian representative at the worlds.

There will be special cases of course, but for years now the CFC have used the CYCC as a cash grab from the doting parents of the kids. Quite apart from this being wrong, it has also raised expectations in those parents, which has led to the dissension you are now seeing as to reps at the worlds, and worse, more ad hoc rule changes led by a few loose cannons.

It's up to the CFC to decide what they are trying to do here, but as a national federation, I would think one goal might be to send the best to represent Canada internationally......
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                            There are those that would argue that anyone that doesn't make the top three in CYCC isn't a worthy Canadian representative at the worlds.

There will be special cases of course, but for years now the CFC have used the CYCC as a cash grab from the doting parents of the kids. Quite apart from this being wrong, it has also raised expectations in those parents, which has led to the dissension you are now seeing as to reps at the worlds, and worse, more ad hoc rule changes led by a few loose cannons.

It's up to the CFC to decide what they are trying to do here, but as a national federation, I would think one goal might be to send the best to represent Canada internationally......
                            Cash grab ?

The CFC sought out a practical solution to the problem of helping fund CYCC champions to the WYCC. Nobody has yet come up with a better solution, that I know of.

Ad hoc rule change ?

The recent rule change to the WYCC qualification rules was meant to eliminate ad hoc decisions as to who could go and who could not go. The rule itself is hardly ad hoc. I believe that the rules have have been followed this year.

I doubt that any parents have false expectations of their children's abilities. They know how they rank in Canada and they know how that is going to correspond internationally.

Comment

Are those who can't come up with the cash unworthy? In any case, a fee is being charged and people who pay the money are receiving something in return. Is HST charged?
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X