WYCC in Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WYCC in Brazil

The recent rule change to the WYCC qualification rules was meant to eliminate ad hoc decisions as to who could go and who could not go. The rule itself is hardly ad hoc. I believe that the rules have have been followed this year.

I doubt that any parents have false expectations of their children's abilities. They know how they rank in Canada and they know how that is going to correspond internationally.

Judging from recent comments on who is going and not going to the worlds, what was "meant" by the rules is not being achieved which might not be surprising when the whole exception thing is left to the discretion or whim of one person.

And your perception of parents behaviour regarding their kids is just plain naive! And these two comments are inter-related!

You didn't comment on the "worthy representatives"?
    Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Are those who can't come up with the cash unworthy? In any case, a fee is being charged and people who pay the money are receiving something in return. Is HST charged?
      $150 is a small part of the total cost of sending a child to the WYCC. I doubt it is going to break the bank.

I will have to check on it, but you make a good point - we probably should be charging HST on the $150.

Comment

Mikhail, that's not how Fred meant it, he was actually objecting to the phrase, not using it himself.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
          So 3 top tiered players who pay $150.00 are NOT WORTHY team members???

I wonder who made that decision???

Obviously this 3 top juniors are WORTHY team members, they should be allowed to pay and join the WYCC team, if they decide to do so. :D

CFC should not stand in their way, which is doing exactly that!

I wonder who made that decision???
          Many months ago the CFC Executive made a decision that anybody who particpated in the Pan-Am Youth would not be going ot the WYCC this year.

All families in Canada had a choice. Three families chose knowing full well the consequences of their choice, to go to the Pan-Am's. I believe you accompanied one of the players.

It now seems one and only one of those three families wants to have the rules changed for them. I admire you advocating the case of a wonderful young talent, but your conflict of interest makes the whole thing a bit distasteful.

End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            Buying your way onto the team has an implied sense that these people are not worthy team members.

We are recognizing the practicality that with additional players come additional expenses. I don't think $150 is unreasonable for a 1/14 share of a chess coach for 10 or 11 days.
            Hi Fred,

While I do not agree with the CFC position on this issue...I took my time to respond because a number of parents have contacted me privately. I would sum up the commentary with "SD"...ummm I have no idea what SD meant. Well apparently I am a "Shit Disturber". Actually I understand the affluent parent who sees me as a "SD".

If you would like to know the regulation I would implement...you simply have to ask :)

So today...what exists ...exists....for the 2012 CYCC...if you are the top rated CMA rated in your category as of June 1, 2012...and you took part in the 2012 Canadaian Chess Challenge in Halifax...I will personally support your participation (my dollars not CMA dollars) ...to the CYCC and WYCC to the tune of $1,000 per player at the CYCC level...and depending on your performance there...additional funding will be available.

Larry

Comment

Fred, I have no conflict of interest and I think the Pan Am/WYCC decision by the executive was abhorent. Apparently some people can by their way on to the teamand other's for no legitimate reason cannot. I am ashamed og both last year and this year's executives for the position they have taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                Hi Fred,

While I do not agree with the CFC position on this issue...I took my time to respond because a number of parents have contacted me privately. I would sum up the commentary with "SD"...ummm I have no idea what SD meant. Well apparently I am a "Shit Disturber". Actually I understand the affluent parent who sees me as a "SD".

If you would like to know the regulation I would implement...you simply have to ask :)

So today...what exists ...exists....for the 2012 CYCC...if you are the top rated CMA rated in your category as of June 1, 2012...and you took part in the 2012 Canadaian Chess Challenge in Halifax...I will personally support your participation (my dollars not CMA dollars) ...to the CYCC and WYCC to the tune of $1,000 per player at the CYCC level...and depending on your performance there...additional funding will be available.

Larry
                Larry: Thanks for your contribution towards Youth Chess in Canada. Very generous.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  Fred, I have no conflict of interest and I think the Pan Am/WYCC decision by the executive was abhorent. Apparently some people can by their way on to the teamand other's for no legitimate reason cannot. I am ashamed og both last year and this year's executives for the position they have taken.
                  Ken: If you feel so strongly, why have you not brought it up at the CFC Governors meeting, now in progress ? I think it's more than just the Executive that disagree with you on this issue.

Comment

Because it fits in the Executive's purview and only the executive have the authority to re-visit their decision. It only matters what the executive thinks.

Comment

Because it fits in the Executive's purview and only the executive have the authority to re-visit their decision. It only matters what the executive thinks.
                      I think it would only have taken a handful of Governors to have caused a review of this.

But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Yes, that is true, and everyone already knows, that view on this topic is with addition of other executives. :(

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        if you are the top rated CMA rated in your category as of June 1, 2012...and you took part in the 2012 Canadaian Chess Challenge in Halifax...I will personally support your participation (my dollars not CMA dollars) ...to the CYCC and WYCC to the tune of $1,000 per player at the CYCC level...and depending on your performance there...additional funding will be available. Larry
                        Maybe in future CFC will do the same. Maybe you should give free seminar/lesson to CFC executives and explain how you made CMA so successful over the years.

Great initiative Larry!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Ken: If you feel so strongly, why have you not brought it up at the CFC Governors meeting, now in progress ? I think it's more than just the Executive that disagree with you on this issue.
                          And there are more than just the Executives that agree on this issue. :DUnfortunately they do not have any say into this matter at all. I wonder why? :(

Looks like only majority of that disagree will be present. I wonder what is the real point of bringing it up to a meeting, that is conucted in dictatorial way?

Comment

Working...
                          X