Can we increase the number of seniors with CFC memberships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we increase the number of seniors with CFC memberships?

I put the following initial post of mine on the CFC Governors Private Discussion Board. The question posed might be worth discussing in this public forum too:

"Can we increase the number of seniors with CFC memberships??

This is a question I've been pondering without success for some time, and I am wondering if anyone can come up with any ideas that can be polished and proposed at a meeting of the assembly of governors at some point.

The CMA has been thinking of getting into the seniors 'market', as I learned from Larry Bevand on the old version of chesstalk years ago.

Unlike the CFC, the CMA would have the resources, for example, to send their paid chess instructors into establishments frequented by seniors.

The CFC could try to somehow encourage the organization of more seniors tournaments, but do we have sufficent means? Is a large scale CECC, or Canadian Elders Chess Championships, program feasible?

I rejected the idea of proposing cheaper CFC membership fees for seniors, at least for the time being, if only because the risk of a net revenue loss seems unacceptable given the thin margin that we have at this time."
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 29th September, 2011, 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Can we increase the number of seniors with CFC memberships?

Regarding the Canadian Elders Chess Championships idea, sections could naturally be done either by rating class or possibly even by age (e.g. 60-65, 66-70, 71-75, 76-80, 81-85, 86-90, 91+).

Although there is no World Elders Chess Championships as yet, at least provincial elders championships contests could be staged province by province within Canada, culminating in the national elders championships.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 29th September, 2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post

More information needed: e.g. what is the annual death rate of seniors with CFC memberships?; i.e. what is the break even threshold?

B{l}
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Regarding the Canadian Elders Chess Championships idea, sections could naturally be done either by rating class or possibly even by age (e.g. 60-65, 66-70, 71-75, 76-80, 81-85, 86-90, 91+).

Although there is no World Elders Chess Championships as yet, at least provincial elders championships contests could be staged province by province within Canada, culminating in the national elders championships.
        Kevin, I think the word "Senior" is more commonly used and preferred to "Elder".

And yes you must know that there is a Canadian Seniors Championship that has been started by Hal and is held on the long weekend in Aug. If this became popular, I'm sure it could be taken on as a regular CFC program.

The World Senior's Championship has been held for many years. It is held every fall somewhere in Europe (usually at a resort type of place). I believe they are proposing splitting it into 2 concurrent age groups now (60-69 and 70+).

Comment

Peter, I stopped going to the local seniors club a number of years ago. The death rate was discouraging.

I recall one guy who liked to play the piano. Old time music. One evening he was playing and him and I were singing. An old Jolson song amongst others. "Oh how we danced on the night we were wed. I needed a wife like a hole in the head." Never saw him again but we sure enjoyed that session.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            Kevin, I think the word "Senior" is more commonly used and preferred to "Elder".

And yes you must know that there is a Canadian Seniors Championship that has been started by Hal and is held on the long weekend in Aug. If this became popular, I'm sure it could be taken on as a regular CFC program.

The World Senior's Championship has been held for many years. It is held every fall somewhere in Europe (usually at a resort type of place). I believe they are proposing splitting it into 2 concurrent age groups now (60-69 and 70+).
            Yes, I knew about most of that Fred. I was suggesting a seperate Canadian Elders Chess Championships, like there is a CYCC, since 'Youth' is used in place of 'Junior' to avoid confusion with the Junior Championship, and I similarly wanted 'Elders' in place of 'Senior' to avoid confusion with the Senior Championship. I thought that would be clear.

If you can suggest a different synonym for 'Seniors' than 'Elders' that can be used, I'm all ears. In any case, it's nice to see there is a proposal to split the World Senior's Championship into two groups. Maybe the Canadian Seniors Championship organizers might follow suit at some point, especially if the idea of a CECC is deemed impractical.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 29th September, 2011, 01:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Gary wrote:

[I recall one guy who liked to play the piano. Old time music. One evening he was playing and him and I were singing. An old Jolson song amongst others. "Oh how we danced on the night we were wed. I needed a wife like a hole in the head." Never saw him again but we sure enjoyed that session.
              The lyrics I heard were:

"Oh how we danced on the night we were wed.
              We danced all night long 'cause the room had no bed."

Comment

I put the following initial post of mine on the CFC Governors Private Discussion Board. The question posed might be worth discussing in this public forum too:

This is a question I've been pondering without success for some time, and I am wondering if anyone can come up with any ideas that can be polished and proposed at a meeting of the assembly of governors at some point.

The CMA has been thinking of getting into the seniors 'market', as I learned from Larry Bevand on the old version of chesstalk years ago.

Unlike the CFC, the CMA would have the resources, for example, to send their paid chess instructors into establishments frequented by seniors.

The CFC could try to somehow encourage the organization of more seniors tournaments, but do we have sufficent means? Is a large scale CECC, or Canadian Elders Chess Championships, program feasible?

I rejected the idea of proposing cheaper CFC membership fees for seniors, at least for the time being, if only because the risk of a net revenue loss seems unacceptable given the thin margin that we have at this time."
                Unless you are giving me a discount, don't bother calling me a senior or an elder or ...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  Gary wrote:

The lyrics I heard were:

"Oh how we danced on the night we were wed.
                  We danced all night long 'cause the room had no bed."
                  People have had a lot of fun with that song over the decades. Sometimes I listen to my old records. Still like to listen to Glen Miller and the big band.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

More "fractured oldies":

"The object of my affection, is in the house of correction,
                    she's doing thirty days."

"When an eel bites your thigh, and you think that you''ll die -
                    That's a moray."

"He's a cad, he's a ham, his last name's Amsterdam -
                    That's a Morey."

"He stole bases for thrills, and his last name is Wills -
                    That's a Maury."

"I know a man, his name is Lang, and he has a neon sign,
                    And Mr. Lang is very old, so they call it Old Lang's sign." - Allan Sherman

"Do not make a stingy sandwich, pile the coldcuts high.
                    Customers should see salami, comin' through the rye." - Allan Sherman

"On top of old Smoky, all covered with hair -
                    Of course I'm referring, to Smoky the Bear." - Allan Sherman

Comment

The American Anthem fractured.
                      Last edited by Gary Ruben; Saturday, 1st October, 2011, 01:05 PM.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

:) Reminds me of an old joke about Baptists:

Q: Why are Baptists opposed to premarital sex?

A: They're afraid it will lead to dancing.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          Unless you are giving me a discount, don't bother calling me a senior or an elder or ...
                          Now being 50, I would have used to be able to qualify for seniors chess in some previous events that were CFC rated. Now for the seniors championship, at least, the starting age is 60. I think FIDE may have made a mistake in setting the minimum age at 60 for the World Senior CC; they're cutting down on their turnout quite possibly, and perhaps making it slightly harder to make a large number of sections for the event if they wished to.

Personally I'd love for the CFC to give seniors (of whatever minimum age the CFC would set) a break on their CFC membership fee, if I thought that Governors wouldn't overwhelmingly reject the idea as risking too much revenue loss at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                          X