CFC National Master Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC National Master Titles

Alvah, it's great to see you here! I have been trying to contact you for months. Have you looked at Silman's rewrite of How to Reassess Your Chess? One of your games (I know of no other A.Mayo!) is in there, complete with quotes from you! Awesome! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Of course, with time to actually study and/or living in a more favourable part of the country chess-wise things could be different.
      I never felt bad about not seeing where my chess would take me with intensive study. No regrets about choosing the work world. At the top of the chess pyramid there can only be one and it was never going to be me.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Well Fred, I don't think a rating of 2200 over 24 games is all that meaningful these days. Ratings have inflated up to 2700, even in Canada.
        What % of the active CFC userbase would you estimate has achieved the 24 games at 2200?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          What % of the active CFC userbase would you estimate has achieved the 24 games at 2200?
          I have no idea. Above they have listed about 120 players to start. I also have no idea if it's only active members because I can think of some who might not be and probably qualify.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            OK. Gary & Bindi. I don't want to start a flame war with you guys, but you've obviously both lost touch with the reality of the situation.

Not everybody can become a Senior International Master (Correspondence Chess) or an IM.

Everyone's goals are important, and not everyone has the desire or capability to reach such lofty heights.

I'm not sure what kind of a message you're trying to send here, as I don't see too many others jumping on this elitist bandwagon.

Most of us won't ever become International level players, but a level of achievement title or certificate is still a nice recognition.

But that's just my opinion.
            The elitist club is fun and all but as you've noticed, I kinda stopped bashing the NM title. The funnier part of the cfc title distribution is

The CFC officially recognizes the following titles, rating classes and CFC rating floors:
            National Master (2200), National Candidate Master (2000), Class A (1800), Class B (1600), Class C (1400), Class D (1200), and Class E (1000).

I mean... give people "NM Titles" sure, but look at these other ones...
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              The elitist club is fun and all but as you've noticed, I kinda stopped bashing the NM title.....

I mean... give people "NM Titles" sure, but look at these other ones...
              Didn't you ever graduate from grade 1? Grade 2?..... I could tell you I think having a PhD is no big deal but it wouldn't (and shouldn't) stop people from getting any of the intermediate steps that they care to and are capable of getting.

The classes are a statement of fact, not anything else.

For that matter, I can think of lots of people , some of them chess players, who don't think a gm title is worthwhile.

Comment

I have no idea.
                Then how can you comment on it's meaningfulness or lack thereof?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                  Then how can you comment on it's meaningfulness or lack thereof?
                  OK, David. I take it you think 2200 is a mark of excellence around the world and the majority of nations would use the same criteria as the CFC for a National Master title. Fair enough. Enjoy.

It seems from the list they will start with around 120 National Masters. About 6.5% of the membership will be national masters to start. That doesn't count the FIDE IM or GM titled players who should get one or inactive players who only need join to receive recognition.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

"The title CCCA Master is a permanent title which can only be achieved by fulfilling one of the 9 requirements below:

1. Win the Canadian Closed CC Championship. (K-series)

2. Finish 2nd or 3rd twice in the Canadian Closed CC Championship ("K")
                    1. A Canadian Closed (zonal) champion gets IM automatically in case he has no such title yet.
                    2. Players with 50% get FM.

The CFC does not compete with FIDE titles. If you think that your potential is bigger than NM with 2200 CFC, then go for IM or GM, and the CFC will adore as a Honorary Member.

You might be a big fish in a Canadian chess pool but be aware of sharks waiting in open waters :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      1. A Canadian Closed (zonal) champion gets IM automatically in case he has no such title yet.
                      2. Players with 50% get FM.

The CFC does not compete with FIDE titles. If you think that your potential is bigger than NM with 2200 CFC, then go for IM or GM, and the CFC will adore as a Honorary Member.

You might be a big fish in a Canadian chess pool but be aware of sharks waiting in open waters :D
                      It was only to show the kind of accomplishments which are necessary in CC. Canada is not a zone in CC.

I haven't swam in the Canadian pool in around 15 years and prefer the open waters.

Here is my last completed event. Team play on an international team of friends. It might be my last event. I haven't decided for sure. My game is not what it used to be.

http://www.iccf-webchess.com/EventCr....aspx?id=20759
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                        Didn't you ever graduate from grade 1? Grade 2?..... I could tell you I think having a PhD is no big deal but it wouldn't (and shouldn't) stop people from getting any of the intermediate steps that they care to and are capable of getting.

The classes are a statement of fact, not anything else.

For that matter, I can think of lots of people , some of them chess players, who don't think a gm title is worthwhile.
                        I don't get what your problem is with me Roger but I've never badmouthed you in any way so i really don't understand why you want to launch personal attacks against me. If you actually read what I said instead of ignoring them completely, you can see that the problem with the new title system is that it awards even 1000 rated players a *title.* I have plenty of university friends who play chess and I can tell you for a fact that I've known some people who just play casually and even they can attain the Class E title. What's the point of motivating players to improve if they're satisfied with a so-called 10 dollar title that they can hang anywhere around their home? Do you seriously want to buy the National Candidate Master title?

Furthermore, who are these chess players that you're talking about that think getting a GM title is not worthwhile? Canada has only a few grandmasters and the last time I checked, apart from Mark and Kevin, everyone has always been under 2600 so I'm sure it's not anyone from Canada. If you're comparing Canada to the world in a global sense, I'm sure these "chess players" would think the new title table is a satirical piece of work.
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                          I don't get what your problem is with me Roger but I've never badmouthed you in any way so i really don't understand why you want to launch personal attacks against me. If you actually read what I said instead of ignoring them completely, you can see that the problem with the new title system is that it awards even 1000 rated players a *title.* I have plenty of university friends who play chess and I can tell you for a fact that I've known some people who just play casually and even they can attain the Class E title. What's the point of motivating players to improve if they're satisfied with a so-called 10 dollar title that they can hang anywhere around their home? Do you seriously want to buy the National Candidate Master title?

Furthermore, who are these chess players that you're talking about that think getting a GM title is not worthwhile? Canada has only a few grandmasters and the last time I checked, apart from Mark and Kevin, everyone has always been under 2600 so I'm sure it's not anyone from Canada. If you're comparing Canada to the world in a global sense, I'm sure these "chess players" would think the new title table is a satirical piece of work.
                          ?? exactly how or when did I bad mouth you? What personal attack?

I didn't ever buy a $10 certificate for NM so no, I wouldn't buy a CM title certificate either. In fact, I wouldn't buy any certificate for any title up to and including world champion. Either you are what ever it is or you are not in my view. But that's just my feeling. I have no objection if someone else wants the piece of paper.

Nigel Short comes to mind as someone who thinks a GM title is not worth anything as has been published elsewhere. Feels pretty much the same way about GM titles as you do about NM titles as far as I can tell. I'm sure he's entitled to think of a mere 2500 GM as weak but the rest of us can still aspire to that level.

But the whole arguement about these levels being not a big deal on the world scene so therefore they should not be recognized is spurious. Pretty much every club championship, city championship, provincial championship or even national championship in Canada is meaningless on the world scale. Doesn't stop anybody from having those championships and giving out trophys etc. Likewise for rating class levels.

Comment

I think an NM title is worthwhile. My comments are only regarding the difficulty level.

I got the Correspondence NM title for scoring 50% or more in the Olympiad but don't recall getting a certificate for the title. The IM and SIM and IA titles came with a certificate which my wife framed (all of them). They didn't cost me anything. The IM and SIM titles came with a very nice medal. Bronze for the IM and silver for the SIM. I think the GM comes with the gold medal but I don't expect to ever get one of those. The IA title came with a pin which is quite nice. I wasn't charged anything for the certificates.

A $10. charge doesn't seem like a lot for the NM title. Mailing and handling has to cost almost that much.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

OK, David. I take it you think 2200 is a mark of excellence around the world and the majority of nations would use the same criteria as the CFC for a National Master title. Fair enough. Enjoy.
                              Do you ever get tired of randomly interpreting my comments and extrapolating from them completely unreasonable conclusions? I'm just asking if you have any idea what you're talking about, and as usual, you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                                ?? exactly how or when did I bad mouth you? What personal attack?
                                Looks like he misinterpreted your question:

>>> Didn't you ever graduate from grade 1? Grade 2? <<<

as a personal attack, when you were actually comparing Grade 1 and Grade 2 to titles.

BTW, another "title" system that comes to mind is the different colored belts for karate.
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X