Canadian FIDE Rep Hal Bond reports...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian FIDE Rep Hal Bond reports...

"I am promoting the 2016 Toronto Olympic Bid. No other countries have announced any such intention and reaction has been extremely favourable."

Taken from the CFC discussion board.

Obviously a chess Olympiad in Canada would be awesome. Good luck to the Toronto group!

Larry

Re : Canadian FIDE Rep Hal Bond reports...

It is a great idea... However I don't know from where will the 2 000 000 (probably more?) dollars come....

Comment

Re: Canadian FIDE Rep Hal Bond reports...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      "I am promoting the 2016 Toronto Olympic Bid. No other countries have announced any such intention and reaction has been extremely favourable."

Obviously a chess Olympiad in Canada would be awesome. Good luck to the Toronto group!

Larry
      It is a great idea!!

Comment

The official Toronto bid site...

http://2016torontochessolympiad.org/home

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Larry
          We could have a second or even a third team... Canada B, Canada C...;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            We could have a second or even a third team... Canada B, Canada C...;)
            National Masters A or should that be eh?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm hoping that publicity, logos, etc. for the bid and event will be available in French (and possibly other languages?). It is a bid for Canada (not just Toronto - even though it may be the centre of the universe).

Comment

I think the bid is great! Hope it will be the winning bid.

Interest in chess should increase with that event in Canada.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Canadian FIDE Rep Hal Bond reports...

It would be great if it would happen... But I am very surprised to see that our governement would be ready to give (at least) a million dollars for it. Have the organizers already received any support? Or is it still a project?

Comment

Canadian FIDE Rep Hal Bond reports...

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                    It would be great if it would happen... But I am very surprised to see that our governement would be ready to give (at least) a million dollars for it. Have the organizers already received any support? Or is it still a project?
                    Hi Felix,

The city of Toronto has provided seed money for this project. Also some of the people involved on the committee are able to pull this off. I think the chances of it happening are reasonable.

Larry

Comment

Well, it would be a lot cheaper than hosting the Olympic Games (or even the Pan-Ams). Not to mention the G20 summit, and I don't think we would have to worry about protesters :D

Comment

Perhaps it should be held in Tony Clement's riding. B-{l}
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                          Well, it would be a lot cheaper than hosting the Olympic Games (or even the Pan-Ams). Not to mention the G20 summit, and I don't think we would have to worry about protesters :D
                          Actually, if any Bay Street or other financial firms are involved, Bob Gillanders and Paul Beckwith might lead a protest. :D
                          Only the rushing is heard...
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                          X