Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7th Canadian Open Chess Championship booklet

Originally posted by Ramona Strojevs View Post
    Thank you for posting this and sharing my Papa's chess memorabilia with this group.

Ramona Strojevs
    FYI: page 6 holds results of Papa.

The sample of a scoresheet of the tournament. The back was blank.

For the Hugh's canbase:

[Event "7th Canadian Open Chess Championship"]
    [Site "Toronto"]
    [Date "1968.08.30"]
    [Round "7"]
    [White "Strojevs, Alexander"]
    [Black "Story"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "C10"]
    [WhiteElo "1751"]
    [BlackElo "1738"]
    [PlyCount "45"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nd7 5. f4 Ngf6 6. Bd3 Nxe4 7. Bxe4 Nf6 8. Bd3 c6 9. c3 Bd6 10. Nf3 h6 11. Ne5 Qc7 12. Bd2 Qe7 13. O-O Bd7 14. Qe2 O-O-O 15. b4 b5 16. a4 a6 17. axb5 cxb5 18. Rxa6 Bxe5 19. fxe5 Nd5 20. Bxb5 Bxb5 21. Qxb5 Nc7 22. Qc6 Qd7 23. Ra8# 1-0

Other 10 games later.

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I played in that 1968 Can. Open too ( threw out my booklet about 8 months ago ) - I had played in the one in Kingston in 1966 as well. Then it was 38 years 'til I played in my next Can. Open in Kitchener in 2006!
    Mr. Strojevs did similar, just did not wait 10 more years. His next Open was in 1996, and then played till 2002 :)

Those who asked for a PDF, should found it in their email boxes.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 14th November, 2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      High School Chess
      by Kerry Liles

It is clear to every chessplayer and every organizer that the most important investment for the future is in junior players. The overall level of play in any given group of players is static unless there is a continuing supply of talented and energetic younger players. The events of the past two years in Metropolitan Toronto reflect this awareness and show what can be done with a little hard work.

Three years ago there were scattered throughout Toronto many high school chess clubs with a large number of developing players. What was lacking, however, was an organizing body — a group which would promote and establish co-ordination between these individual efforts. It was with this objective in mind that resulted in the formation of the Metropolitan Toronto High School Chess Association. This body was organized entirely by students and the printing and outfitting expenses of the organization were met using money from membership fees from the schools that joined.

The organization of the Association marked a significant point in the history of Toronto chess. In the first year of operation there were over seventy students present at the team and individual championship and these people represented approximately twenty-five schools. The second year saw an increase of 100%. Over one hundred and fifty students from fifty schools attended the 1967-1968 championship tournament. Each year the Association grows by leaps and bounds. The executives indicate that a 100% growth every year is not difficult to conceive.

The 1967-68 season marked the most productive year for the Association. In addition to the local events which have become traditional, this year the Toronto schools were host for the first Ontario-wide High School Chess Championship. This event has been the goal of Mr. John Reinbergs, the organizer of the Association and this year's president. Perhaps the most important result achieved this year was the affiliation of the Association with the Metropolitan Toronto Chess League, the CFC governing body in Toronto. This co-operative effort will ensure that Toronto will have an ever-increasing supply of new and we hope talented players who will have a knowledge of chess etiquette as well as ability.

It is of major importance that Canada develop her chess players into mature, international-calibre contestants. The only way to do this is to reach the youth. Canada's junior players hold the future of Canada's "Chess Renaissance" in their hands. It is the duty of all chess players to see that they are correctly guided.
      The student-run League had a regular newsletter, inter-school team matches and started the Annual Ontario High School Chess Championship weekend tournament. Even a Doububle chess tournament (bughouse). A high school all-star team also played in the inter-club team matches. I passed on the box of archives when I graduated from high school, 1976, but a parent threw them out.

Comment

Phil Haley

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

It is also a nice coincidence that Phil Haley's name comes up.... For those who don't know about Phil, he was New Brunswick Champion in 1944 ( or 5 - I couldn't find info on this, and am going from my faulty memory ), and played in the 1945 Canadian Closed. He is an International arbiter, was CFC President from 1971-3, and after that the CFC FIDE Representative for many years.

Bob
        Phil has advised me that in fact he was the runner-up in the 1944 New Brunswick Championship, but got to go to the 1945 Saskatoon Canadian Closed. That was the first time he had ever seen a chess clock, let alone play with one!! He said he played a few bad games while he adjusted to it. He did win the Alberta Championship in 1959, but could not play in the Closed that year due to some changes in his employment situation at the time.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 15th November, 2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting these! My Mum still keeps in touch with Phil and Betty-June!

Ramona Strojevs

Comment

Working...
          X