Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for individual chess pieces

Hi chess friends:

I'm looking for an easy way to order a few individual chess pieces. I'm looking at starting a club (mostly) for children here in the Cowichan Valley (Duncan) on Vancouver Island and I've got a few sets that are a piece or two short. I'm looking at wood pieces but I suppose plastic would be OK in a pinch.

I know there are some suppliers in the US but I would rather support a Canadian company. I don't think the CFC does this sort of thing.

Suggestions welcome.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: looking for individual chess pieces

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Hi chess friends:

I'm looking for an easy way to order a few individual chess pieces. I'm looking at starting a club (mostly) for children here in the Cowichan Valley (Duncan) on Vancouver Island and I've got a few sets that are a piece or two short. I'm looking at wood pieces but I suppose plastic would be OK in a pinch.

Suggestions welcome.
    Considering how little plastic chess sets cost, don't lose time or sleep over a few incomplete sets. Use a complete one to fix the others or forget about it. If you are starting a chess club, you certainly have more important things to do than ordering individual pieces.

Comment

OK, good point Jean. It's just that I'm a poor student these days, yadda yadda. Maybe a little too fastidious as well.

Actually, I've got over half a dozen old brown and white plastic boards from a University chess club I founded that never really got going so all I need is the pieces.

Comment

I don't think the CFC does this sort of thing.

Suggestions welcome.
        I bought a modest wooden set at the Bytown Market in Ottawa, missing a black pawn, and completed it at the antiques mall under Mouat's on Saltspring Island (not sure if that is still going now). If you look carefully, you can tell that the pawn doesn't match. Which suggests thrift shops. Asking at the desk, you may even discover that they have incomplete sets, which they wouldn't dare sell as such, in the back room.

At high school, there was a whole cornucopia of mismatched sets. Of course, I managed to put together one with giant (3") pawns and miniature (1/2") rooks.

The CFC never officially sold individual pieces, but for the sets we sold, particularly the plastic ones, we did have extras. When you sell 250 dozen sets a year, inevitably some sets will come from the factory with five bishops or only one king. A lot has changed in 25 years, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          ... Which suggests thrift shops. Asking at the desk, you may even discover that they have incomplete sets, which they wouldn't dare sell as such, in the back room.
          Good idea. The thing is to remember to ask because as Jean suggests it's hardly worth the effort when ordinary plastic sets are so cheap.

Comment

Hi chess friends:

I'm looking for an easy way to order a few individual chess pieces. I'm looking at starting a club (mostly) for children here in the Cowichan Valley (Duncan) on Vancouver Island and I've got a few sets that are a piece or two short. I'm looking at wood pieces but I suppose plastic would be sOK in a pinch.

I know there are some suppliers in the US but I would rather support a Canadian company. I don't think the CFC does this sort of thing.

Suggestions welcome.
            Hello Nigel,
            I have two bags of individual chess pieces, Of course pastic but they are tournament size but they still work.

Comment

Another good reason for me to visit the thriving megalopolis of Victoria. Thanks.

Comment

Another good reason for me to visit the thriving megalopolis of Victoria. Thanks.
                Chess'n Math sells individual pieces for the standard tournament set...$1 a piece including taxes...$5 shipping if your order is under $35...so maybe you can buy a book at the same time :)

http://strategygames.ca/boutique/sto...=EN&code=M-154

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Chess'n Math sells individual pieces for the standard tournament set...$1 a piece including taxes...$5 shipping if your order is under $35...so maybe you can buy a book at the same time :)
                  A 32-pieces set costs $12.

http://strategygames.ca/boutique/sto...=EN&code=M-156

Good math at Chess&Math :p

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    A 32-pieces set costs $12.

http://strategygames.ca/boutique/sto...=EN&code=M-156

Good math at Chess&Math :p
                    LOL

Of course we would rather sell the full set of pieces. For some reason, the Kings and Queens are in big demand....often leaving us with a large family of pawns without their parents. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      LOL

Of course we would rather sell the full set of pieces. For some reason, the Kings and Queens are in big demand....often leaving us with a large family of pawns without their parents. :)
                      Passed pawns, no doubt...
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Isolated pawns.

Comment

Nigel, Lynn wants to contact you. PM me with your phone number or e-mail address.
                          Paul Leblanc
                          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                            Isolated pawns.
                            An Irish Pawn Center.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              An Irish Pawn Center.
                              http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1229105 is the game (Keogh-Sanz, 1/2, Amsterdam zt 1978) that gave rise to this label (er, centre) by Tony Miles, though similar (tripled, adjacent, isolated pawns) had arisen in non-Irish games before.

Way back, public chess sets often lacked knights, especially when the TV show "Have Gun Will Travel" was popular. "Paladin ... a knight without armour ...". In 1969, I had a lovely wooden chess set, purchased at Woodwards. Later I figured out it was a Lardy set. Sometimes Lardy sets would have problems with low winter humidity in centrally-heated Ontario homes, and the kings or queens would warp. Anyway, I didn't know that at the time, and Ontario was far far away, but the lovely set became worthless for chess when both kings were stolen. I never did figure that one out; the thief was probably not a chess player.
                              Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Wednesday, 30th November, 2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X