Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: looking for individual chess pieces

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    [url]In 1969, I had a lovely wooden chess set, purchased at Woodwards. Later I figured out it was a Lardy set.
    As I recall, back in the 70s you had a lignum vitae (wood) set -- with unusual knights. Do you still have that one?

Comment

Here is another example. It was a consultation game my team played in 2003 to prove the gambit is not losing. It is losing but the opposition didn't find the best line. We were white. I liked the ending. It should copy and paste.

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. a3 Bxc3+ 5. bxc3 dxe4 6. f3 c5 7. Qd2 Nf6 8. fxe4 Nxe4 9. Qe3 Qa5 10. Bb2 f5 11. O-O-O Nd7 12. g4 Ndf6 13. gxf5 exf5 14. Nf3 Bd7 15. Rg1 O-O-O 16. Ne5 Nd5 17. Qe1 g6 18. Bg2 Rhf8 19. Bxe4 fxe4 20. c4 Qxe1 21. Rgxe1 Nf6 22. dxc5 Bf5 23. Rd6 Nh5 24. Red1 Rxd6 25. cxd6 Nf6 26. c5 Ng4 27. d7+ Kc7 28. Rd6 Rd8 29. Nxg4 Bxg4 30. Be5 Bxd7 31. Rxg6+ Kc8 32. Rg7 Re8 1/2-1/2
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
        As I recall, back in the 70s you had a lignum vitae (wood) set -- with unusual knights. Do you still have that one?
        The LV set, made in Argentina (?) from "nature's hardest wood". It was for a while the main wooden set sold by the CFC. Yes, the knights were unusual. Robert South, who bought an LV set, said that the knights looked like they were thirsty, like they were lowering their heads to have a drink. I don't have an LV set; I may have borrowed the display set when the CFC was selling them. Good marketing / free advertising !? I've owned various CFC plastic sets, S1, S4, ... Robin Harper has an S6, made of transparent plastic with the white pieces uncoloured and the black, amber coloured. That's a rare set, as it was ordered in small quantities. AFAIR, I had the manufacturer make it up specially, it was not part of their catalogue.

CFC did sell Lardy sets for a while, but I recall that there were three problems. First was supply. Maybe there was a shortage of boxwood in France !?!. Second was cost. In the late 1970s the cost was going up rapidly, partly due to exchange rates. Third was the Central Canada warping mentioned earlier. Not every king warped, but it was annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Here is another example. It was a consultation game my team played in 2003 to prove the gambit is not losing. It is losing but the opposition didn't find the best line. We were white.
          It was my understanding that in the Irish Pawn Formation, the tripled isolated pawns had to be adjacent, thus c2-c3-c4 in the original game. In your example, White had pawns on c2 and c3, then captured d4xc5: not adjacent. Of course, when to play dxc5 is an Advanced Topic in the French Defence Winawer (and does it also happen in the McCutcheon? I don't recall). An Advanced Topic upon which Spassky gave us a lot of education, including before 1978. Surely Miles wasn't putting those two different things in the same bag when he invented a new name for the pawn formation.

Incidentally, in my modest database, in 2008-2011 White scored 58% with 6.Qd1-g4 in 74 games, rather than the gambit 6.f2-f3 (44% in 9 games) that you played. Though after the forcing 6...Ng8-f6 7.Qg4xg7 Rh8-g8 8.Qg7-h6 Rg8-g6 Black is up to 52%, so gambit or no gambit, the line doesn't appear all that promising for White, at least by raw results.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            It was my understanding that in the Irish Pawn Formation, the tripled isolated pawns had to be adjacent, thus c2-c3-c4 in the original game.
            I see. I didn't know that part.

The game was thematic. 6. f3 was part of the starting position. We were testing the Winckelman-Reimer Gambit. I hope I spelled the name correctly or Thomas will pick me up on it.

I liked the ending. We played the game on a CC message board, TCCMB.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
            X