Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: Vlad Dobrich

Vlad -

I have an undated scoresheet in front of me: Dobrich vs Gilles Brodeur (0-1). I suspect it is from an Intercollegiate event sometime between 1968 and 1970, since the scoresheet following it is Brodeur winning quickly against an almost unreadable name (George Teotysanyi? with "Waterloo" written beneath his name). Other scoresheets in the pile are in the same timeframe.

Any idea as to its date/year/event?

Re: ATTN: Vlad Dobrich

No idea! I usually put all my losses in my mental shredder and forgot them.:)

Comment

George Tertysznyj was a good friend of mine when I attended the University of Waterloo from 1968 to 1972. We played together in at least one intercollegiate event, I believe it was 1969 or 1970 in Montreal.
      George gave up chess when he graduated. He married a nice Ukranian girl, Valerie in 1974. (I was best man at the wedding). They settled in Waterloo and ran a computer store in the 80's and 90's. George was also quite into gaming, especially a game called "Magic" and held weekend Magic tournaments in his store. I lost touch over 10 years ago but I believe they are retired and living in Wellesley, just outside K-W.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Brodeur played in the Pan-American Intercollegiate in Montreal in 1969. I remember because he had a wild draw with Lawrence Day. Lawrence's king was going all over the board, while Brodeur's was castled behind four pawns. It was one of those iconic "battle of opposites" games. What I don't remember is whether Vlad played there, but it makes sense, the old U of Tea thing.

Comment

I don't think it's the 1969 North American Intercollegiate. Pre-printed (red) scoresheets were used there, and this is on a scoresheet which simply reads "Score Sheet" at the top. Not the 1969 Eastern Canadian Intercollegiate held at Waterloo, again since they used their own pre-printed "University of Waterloo" scoresheets. So - it could be the 1968 Eastern Canadian Intercollegiate held at Sir George Williams (now Concordia) in Montreal, January (however - I didn't play in that one, so I have no "specimen" scoresheets from it). Time control was at move 50, if that's relevant.

Comment

Working...
          X