2016 Chess Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Chess Olympiad

FIDE posted this on their site on Dec 1, 2012....maybe someone already posted this here...I did not see it :)

FIDE is hereby opening a bidding procedure for the 2016 Chess Olympiad and FIDE Congress in connection with a possible bid for the 2015 FIDE World Cup.

1. Bids should reach FIDE Office not later than 31 May 2012, 13:00 GMT, by email, fax or registered post, address: 9 Syggrou Ave., 11743 Athens - Greece, fax: (+30) 2109212859, email: office@fide.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

2. Bids should guarantee that all necessary provisions mentioned in the Olympiad Regulations of the FIDE Handbook will be covered by the Organiser (including articles 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3).

Federations/Organisers who intend to respond to the bidding procedure of the 2016 Olympiad and Congress are kindly requested to note the following:

a) The wording for the required bank guarantee has to cover the following obligations of the appointed organizer:

1. Failure to organise the Chess Olympiad due to take place in 2016.
    2. Failure to present further bank guarantees as required under the Olympiad Regulations.
    3. Failure to pay the successful bidder's fee of USD 350,000.
    4. Failure to meet obligations, financial or otherwise, as agreed in the contract between FIDE and the Organizing Committee of the Chess Olympiad 2016, especially concerning playing halls and full board hotel accommodation.

b) Inspection at the proposed venues will be made between 1st June and 1st August 2012. Each bidder will bear all travel and hotel expenses for two inspectors, in accordance with FIDE standards. The FIDE General Assembly in September 2012 will then decide the organiser of the event. After receiving all bids, the bidders will be informed about the exact procedure of bid presentations, which will be in accordance with the previous practice in the last four years.

The successful bidder/organiser will be asked to sign a contract with FIDE, which will include all requirements according to the Olympiad Regulations and the FIDE check-list for the events.

c) If FIDE receives a bid or bids offering to organise both the 2015 World Cup and the 2016 Olympiad & Congress, and provided such bid(s) are in accordance with all FIDE provisions, FIDE will only consider these bids during its General Assembly in September 2012.

Released by the FIDE Secretariat, 30-11-2011

Press-Release

Re: 2016 Chess Olympiad

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    c) If FIDE receives a bid or bids offering to organise both the 2015 World Cup and the 2016 Olympiad & Congress, and provided such bid(s) are in accordance with all FIDE provisions, FIDE will only consider these bids during its General Assembly in September 2012.
    Did you notice?

This was mentioned during the new video presentation as a new "requirement".

Comment

Any word on how the "Canadian Bid" (TM) & (C) is coming? :)
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        Any word on how the "Canadian Bid" (TM) & (C) is coming? :)

Hi Gary,

I think you can expect a major push in January...after the holidays. Believe me, they are trying very hard to make this happen!

Larry

Comment

This is clear indication that FIDE has a bias towards having these events held somewhere in Russia, most probably once again in Khanty-Mansyisk. There is no logical reason to want both events to be held at the same location other than obscure financial ones. The dices are rigged from the start. If I were a potential organizer I would not even try to play this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            This is clear indication that FIDE has a bias towards having these events held somewhere in Russia, most probably once again in Khanty-Mansyisk. There is no logical reason to want both events to be held at the same location other than obscure financial ones. The dices are rigged from the start. If I were a potential organizer I would not even try to play this game.
            Not only that but Fide also requires organizers outside Russia to submit a bid 140% higher. Organizers are definitely being dealt a stacked deck :(
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              Not only that but Fide also requires organizers outside Russia to submit a bid 140% higher. Organizers are definitely being dealt a stacked deck :(
              Thanks guys....it looks like you were right...I am naive :)

Larry

Comment

Thanks guys....it looks like you were right...I am naive :)
                I don't think that FIDE wants to move everything to Russia. It is more to push through a bad product (World Cup) with a good one (Olympiad). In recent ages there are a lot of bids for the Olympiad while the World Cup struggles. IMHO, FIDE stole the idea from the IOC with their Olympics and Paralympics strategy :D

On Monday T.Winick did not look that he would abandon 2016 Toronto :) Seems more videos are coming :D

Comment

Bindi and Jean - what are you talking about? I believe Egis has it more or less right. Norway will stage the next World Cup as part of their commitment to the Olympiad. This Russian bias is difficult to understand. Russia is not planning to hold the next Olympiad. FIDE is really hoping that Canada is serious. Khanty Mansiysk may hold some FIDE events but another Olympiad is not in the cards as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                    Norway will stage the next World Cup as part of their commitment to the Olympiad.
                    Will Norway be using their vast oil wealth to fund the Olympiad and world cup? Since oil was discovered offshore there, some 40 years ago, they have gone from one of the poorer nations to one of the richest.

Here in Ontario, where I suppose these events are envisioned, we have been threatened with a ratngs downgrade on our massive debt by a major rating agency.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      Bindi and Jean - what are you talking about? I believe Egis has it more or less right. Norway will stage the next World Cup as part of their commitment to the Olympiad. This Russian bias is difficult to understand. Russia is not planning to hold the next Olympiad. FIDE is really hoping that Canada is serious. Khanty Mansiysk may hold some FIDE events but another Olympiad is not in the cards as far as I know.
                      According to the regulations only the bids that are for both the 2015 World Cup and the 2016 Olympiad will be reviewed in September of 2012 (assuming that there are bids for both) which seems really unfair. This really discourages a new organizing country like Canada from going ahead with the bid, but I hope that our organizers don't get discouraged.

Comment

OK - but it is equally unfair to all bidders. How does this favour one over another? If Canada can find money for the Olympiad, the World Cup is small(er) potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Will Norway be using their vast oil wealth to fund the Olympiad and world cup? Since oil was discovered offshore there, some 40 years ago, they have gone from one of the poorer nations to one of the richest.

Here in Ontario, where I suppose these events are envisioned, we have been threatened with a ratngs downgrade on our massive debt by a major rating agency.
                          Ontario doesn't have "massive debt". Our economy while not currently tremendous is doing quite fine relative to the world right now. Government debt is one of most misunderstood items in the financial world; its similar in nature to taking a long term mortgage on a house.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 16th December, 2011, 06:46 PM. Reason: Appeasing Chris Mallon's nitpicking arguments

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                            Ontario doesn't have "massive debt". Our economy while not currently tremendous is doing quite fine relative to the world right now. Government debt is one of most misunderstood items in the financial world; its the same as taking a long term mortgage on a house.
                            Duncan, you should get regular appearances on the Comedy channel. You have inane ability to make me laugh. I guess, every forum must have their own clown.
                            A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                              Ontario doesn't have "massive debt". Our economy while not currently tremendous is doing quite fine relative to the world right now. Government debt is one of most misunderstood items in the financial world; its the same as taking a long term mortgage on a house.
                              The strength or weakness of the economy really doesn't have anything to do with how massive or not the debt is.

The debt is double the annual income of the government. If you as a private citizen had a debt like that you'd probably be considering bankruptcy.

It is most definitely not the same thing as a mortgage. If you can't pay your mortgage you lose your house to the bank. Are you suggesting that creditor nations like China can come in and claim parts of Ontario if it came to be that we couldn't pay our debt?
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X