Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Chess Olympiad

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    OK - but it is equally unfair to all bidders. How does this favour one over another? If Canada can find money for the Olympiad, the World Cup is small(er) potatoes.
    Requiring Canada to do for a first time what a chess country like Russia has already done many times is certainly not being "equally unfair". Even if the World Cup is "smaller patato" doesn't mean that once you have swallowed the big one that you can swallow the next biggest at the same time.

But each time I read your rationalisations of FIDE erratic (to be nice) behaviour I cannot help but feel that whose interests you are really defending are becoming more obvious by the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
      Duncan, you should get regular appearances on the Comedy channel. You have inane ability to make me laugh. I guess, every forum must have their own clown.
      Why is the chess world so full of ignorant arrogant pricks like you ? Is there something about the game that attracts your type to it ? Honestly, try to learn something and stop being a jerk.

Comment

OK - but it is equally unfair to all bidders. How does this favour one over another? If Canada can find money for the Olympiad, the World Cup is small(er) potatoes.
        I am glad that you seem confident that Canada can come up with an additional $2M or so, as it would be very unfortunate if the olympiad bid fails because of this World Cup add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          The strength or weakness of the economy really doesn't have anything to do with how massive or not the debt is.

The debt is double the annual income of the government. If you as a private citizen had a debt like that you'd probably be considering bankruptcy.

It is most definitely not the same thing as a mortgage. If you can't pay your mortgage you lose your house to the bank. Are you suggesting that creditor nations like China can come in and claim parts of Ontario if it came to be that we couldn't pay our debt?
          Please do not interpret my simply stated post and make your own conclusions.

Are you saying you are concerned about the level of debt Ontario has as Gary Ruben clearly implies ? That such a level of debt would be a direct factor in who holds the Chess Olympiad ? I'm saying its entirely immaterial, that it won't even have an affect on Canadian financial markets ( a much more direct relationship ). In fact, an actual downgrade seems unlikely to me and would have only psychological short term effects.
          These news items are always good fodder for the "sky is falling" crowd though, until a new month comes and they hook into the next series of crisis to go on about.
          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 16th December, 2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Bindi and Jean - what are you talking about? I believe Egis has it more or less right. Norway will stage the next World Cup as part of their commitment to the Olympiad. This Russian bias is difficult to understand. Russia is not planning to hold the next Olympiad. FIDE is really hoping that Canada is serious. Khanty Mansiysk may hold some FIDE events but another Olympiad is not in the cards as far as I know.
            You missed my joke -_-
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re : Re: 2016 Chess Olympiad

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              You missed my joke -_-
              Nice one Bindi. I laughed a lot :D

Comment

Am I concerned about the level of debt Ontario will have after a few more years of deficits? Yes.

Will that affect whether or not we get a chess olympiad here? Probably not.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Whatever Jean. You have made up you mind about me regardless what I write.

Comment

Good one Bindi - the 140% threw me off! I find is quite a challenge keeping up with all chess news - FIDE or otherwise. Thanks for putting me straight. You spared me the task of searching out this 40% premium.

Comment

Good one Bindi - the 140% threw me off! I find is quite a challenge keeping up with all chess news - FIDE or otherwise. Thanks for putting me straight. You spared me the task of searching out this 40% premium.
                      News like that (if true) could not shake off your loyalty to FIDE. That is telling. You are still considering FIDE to be "equally unfair" which in your thinking schemes seems to be OK.
                      Regardless of the intrinsic value of an eventual Toronto bid and its chances to be accepted (which I think are very low), I believe that the CFC and canadian chess should at least abstain from taking part in FIDE's dubious dealings as long as Kirsan I. remains in office. I have no confidence in people that used to be friends with Khadafi or with people hooked with extraterrestrial interests. Call me closed minded if you like.

Comment

Whatever Jean. You have made up you mind about me regardless what I write.
                        There is no sense in being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway. :)

Comment

Hi Larry I am looking for either an email address and/or phone for Lindsay that worked for you about 2 years ago canyou help.
                          Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          FIDE posted this on their site on Dec 1, 2012....maybe someone already posted this here...I did not see it :)

FIDE is hereby opening a bidding procedure for the 2016 Chess Olympiad and FIDE Congress in connection with a possible bid for the 2015 FIDE World Cup.

1. Bids should reach FIDE Office not later than 31 May 2012, 13:00 GMT, by email, fax or registered post, address: 9 Syggrou Ave., 11743 Athens - Greece, fax: (+30) 2109212859, email: office@fide.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

2. Bids should guarantee that all necessary provisions mentioned in the Olympiad Regulations of the FIDE Handbook will be covered by the Organiser (including articles 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3).

Federations/Organisers who intend to respond to the bidding procedure of the 2016 Olympiad and Congress are kindly requested to note the following:

a) The wording for the required bank guarantee has to cover the following obligations of the appointed organizer:

1. Failure to organise the Chess Olympiad due to take place in 2016.
                          2. Failure to present further bank guarantees as required under the Olympiad Regulations.
                          3. Failure to pay the successful bidder's fee of USD 350,000.
                          4. Failure to meet obligations, financial or otherwise, as agreed in the contract between FIDE and the Organizing Committee of the Chess Olympiad 2016, especially concerning playing halls and full board hotel accommodation.

b) Inspection at the proposed venues will be made between 1st June and 1st August 2012. Each bidder will bear all travel and hotel expenses for two inspectors, in accordance with FIDE standards. The FIDE General Assembly in September 2012 will then decide the organiser of the event. After receiving all bids, the bidders will be informed about the exact procedure of bid presentations, which will be in accordance with the previous practice in the last four years.

The successful bidder/organiser will be asked to sign a contract with FIDE, which will include all requirements according to the Olympiad Regulations and the FIDE check-list for the events.

c) If FIDE receives a bid or bids offering to organise both the 2015 World Cup and the 2016 Olympiad & Congress, and provided such bid(s) are in accordance with all FIDE provisions, FIDE will only consider these bids during its General Assembly in September 2012.

Released by the FIDE Secretariat, 30-11-2011

Press-Release

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            News like that (if true) could not shake off your loyalty to FIDE. That is telling. You are still considering FIDE to be "equally unfair" which in your thinking schemes seems to be OK.
                            Regardless of the intrinsic value of an eventual Toronto bid and its chances to be accepted (which I think are very low), I believe that the CFC and canadian chess should at least abstain from taking part in FIDE's dubious dealings as long as Kirsan I. remains in office. I have no confidence in people that used to be friends with Khadafi or with people hooked with extraterrestrial interests. Call me closed minded if you like.
                            Can we still play chess while Kirsan is head of FIDE?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                              Ontario doesn't have "massive debt". Our economy while not currently tremendous is doing quite fine relative to the world right now. Government debt is one of most misunderstood items in the financial world; its similar in nature to taking a long term mortgage on a house.
                              Possibly you have another name for the approx. 250 billion in debt and the 16 billion dollars a year deficit the Ontario government is now adding. Whatever you call it a ratings downgrade will add to the interest rate on the new debt and refinancing of the older debt when it come due. Sure doesn't sound to me like a government which can contribute to a chess Olympiad.

More mind boggling is the new hydro electric plant the Ontario government is simply refusing to finish on the excuse of looking for a new location after the amount they have already spent. It smacks of something a poor nation does when it runs out of money. I'm at a complete loss to think of something similar anywhere in Canada and it smacks of the kind of waste which is asking, no crying out and begging, for a rating downgrade for irresponsible management.

You take out a mortgage on a house, as you use in your example, and ask them to increase the principle by 6 percent each year so you can make the payments while maintaining your lifesytyle and see what they say.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                                Can we still play chess while Kirsan is head of FIDE?
                                Between "playing chess" and organizing an olympiad, there is room for creativity. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X