Chess Canada 1970-75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada 1970-75

I have been recently asked whether there are complete sets of Chess Canadas in anyone's possesions today. Does anyone reading this have a complete set?

Re: Chess Canada 1970-75

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    I have been recently asked whether there are complete sets of Chess Canadas in anyone's possesions today. Does anyone reading this have a complete set?
    I do......

Comment

Two. The CFC also had a complete set in 1984.

Comment

What was the last issue? My bonded ends with July/August 1975.

Why did someone ask about them? Just curious

Comment

I also have a complete set.

The issues are:

Volume 1 - 1970: 9 monthly issues - April-December.
          Volume 2 - 1971: 11 issues - January-December, with a double June-July issue.
          Volume 3 - 1972: 11 issues - January-December, with a double July-August issue.
          Volume 4 - 1973: 11 issues - January-December, but no June issue.
          Volume 5 - 1974: 9 issues - January to June, July-August, Sept-Oct, and Nov-Dec.
          Volume 6 - 1975: 4 issues - Jan-Feb, Mar-Apr, May-June, and July-Aug.

The last issue was published by Frank Szarka, who subsequently merged it into "Canadian Chess Chat". (all other issues had been published/edited by Walter/Vlad Dobrich).

Comment

I too have a complete set. By an odd coincidence I was looking through them just this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
              The Toronto Reference Library on Yonge north of Bloor has them for anyone who wants to see what what a great Canadian magazine it was.

Comment

I have a complete set of the six volumes, each bound in orange cloth. I see volumes 2 to 6 on the shelf and the first volume has temporarily gone missing. When there are shelves and piles of chess books everywhere this happens more easily than one would think.

How many of each issue were printed? A conservative estimate is that two dozen complete bound sets remain in the hands of collectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  The issues are:
                  Volume 4 - 1973: 11 issues - January-December, but no June issue.
                  Well, I'm glad you cleared that up. I was going nuts trying to find the June issue!

Comment

The July 1973 (cover: "Peter Nurmi - Canada's Next Grandmaster?") issue explained why there was no June issue, and it is numbered #6 (not #7) for that year. One-year subscribers still received 12 issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                      The Toronto Reference Library on Yonge north of Bloor has them for anyone who wants to see what what a great Canadian magazine it was.
                      and you'll definitely meet Erik there :D

I look at Canadian Chess Chat ~1967/68. The number of CFC rated players was so low, that it should have been possible to remember and to name all players by hart.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        I look at Canadian Chess Chat ~1967/68. The number of CFC rated players was so low, that it should have been possible to remember and to name all players by hart.
                        Someone with a slighly above average memory should still be able to do it with today's list. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          and you'll definitely meet Erik there :D

Was it a full list or only a listing of players whose ratings had changed?
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The lists in Chess Chats of that vintage were revisions only. Annual lists were published in booklet form (dated July 1 - usually available by September). I have several from the late 1960's.

Comment

Thanks, Hugh. I thought the number of players for that year was more than the post suggested.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X