X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC bookstore?

(posted on CFC board too)

Something to think about?
    I saw the review today (at Chessbase) of the book "Joys of Chess" by Christian Hesse

(see: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7775)

I wandered over to the CFC bookstore

http://astore.amazon.ca/chesfedeofca...ail/9056913557

and although it is $35.54 (before tax) it says

"usually ships in 1 to 2 months" (!)

I decided to buy it from Strategy Games (thanks Larry!)
    for $36.95 + $1.85HST AND free shipping (> $35).

In fact, I ordered it this morning and I have already received a Canada Post
    tracking number and it is on the way!!

Something is seriously wrong with "1 to 2 months..."
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: CFC bookstore?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

I saw the review today (at Chessbase) of the book "Joys of Chess" by Christian Hesse

Hi Kerry,

Thanks to Bertrand in shipping for handling your order in a prompt fashion!

As my good friend Neil Sullivan knows...we try...sometimes we miss...but we do try :).

CMA has approached the CFC on many occasions to be their provider of books and equipment. When David Lavin was Pres...we talked and he went another route as he thought that was better for the CFC. Fair enough.

Now that the CFC has had that experience...I have mentioned to Bob Gillanders...and more recently to Fred McKim...that we are still interested in bidding for this contract...neither has responded...so I assume they are VERY happy with their present arrangement :).

From what I know of the CFC agreement to-date (with Amazon and the folks in Kap) ...the CFC has earned far less than they could have...but of course ...what do I know...I have only been in the business for 33 years :)

At the end of the day...what is important to me...is that we serve our customers to the best of our ability.

Thank you for your continued support!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Without even looking, I am sure they are simply linking to amazon for their sales. This means they get a small commission for directing people there.

The thing is, amazon can only keep its prices down by penalizing others. They put heavy pressure on everyone along the way to take a smaller cut and survive on the high volume of sales they generate. Often, as in this case, they don't even keep the item in stock. Instead, they will order as needed.

There are definite bargains on amazon, but there's frustration to and, for me, an accompanying feeling of unease. If we like to have a retailer like CMA and enjoy them actually having books in stock, they must be supported. When amazon is all that's left, we will be very sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
        Without even looking, I am sure they are simply linking to amazon for their sales. This means they get a small commission for directing people there.

The thing is, amazon can only keep its prices down by penalizing others. They put heavy pressure on everyone along the way to take a smaller cut and survive on the high volume of sales they generate. Often, as in this case, they don't even keep the item in stock. Instead, they will order as needed.

There are definite bargains on amazon, but there's frustration to and, for me, an accompanying feeling of unease. If we like to have a retailer like CMA and enjoy them actually having books in stock, they must be supported. When amazon is all that's left, we will be very sorry.
        At the Canadian Open this summer I saw a few people who would browse our books...take notes and...no doubt by them online :)

According to stats that I have seen 39% of folks do this!

This has resulted in a book retailer in Cambridge, Mass to post this sign in their shop:

Find it here
        Buy it here
        Keep us here!

At the end of the day, we need your support in order to offer this service.

Larry

Comment

Hi Neil,

Actually it is crazier than that! We supply the Coakley books to Amazon in the U.S. They require us to give them a 55% discount. We pay transportation. They only pay when they sell the books. They can return books at any time...and we pay the transportation!...plus we pay an annual fee to them for having the right to list our books on their site!

So why do we do it?

They sell LOTS of books!

Yep...even though they don't (in general) discount the Coakley books (in otherwords you can buy them for less directly from us) they have the image of being the big discounters...which is not always the case!

Buyer beware :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Hi Neil,

Actually it is crazier than that! We supply the Coakley books to Amazon in the U.S. They require us to give them a 55% discount. We pay transportation. They only pay when they sell the books. They can return books at any time...and we pay the transportation!...plus we pay an annual fee to them for having the right to list our books on their site!

So why do we do it?

They sell LOTS of books!

Yep...even though they don't (in general) discount the Coakley books (in otherwords you can buy them for less directly from us) they have the image of being the big discounters...which is not always the case!

Buyer beware :)

Larry
            Amazon is a fascinating study. In the Globe and Mail this week, I read that they QUADRUPLE their warehouse workforce in time for holiday shipping. As a warehouse manager, I just about fell off my chair when I saw that!

They are also constantly expanding their product range and offer a bewildering assortment of items. For me though, they are best known for a mindless level of automation; not always to their advantage. They also have the worst customer service I have ever seen. I am convinced the initial scan of any inquiry is made by computers; ones that have totally failed the Turing test.

If nothing else, you keep a close eye on your business and are able to respond quickly.

Comment

Amazon sells lots of books.

Poor me. I have shares in Books a Million.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It is the "support your local business" kind of principle that is at stake. I am all for it in principle but from the customer's point of view, it simply does not work in practice. Some people out of principle can and will pay 25% extra for a product, but I am not one of them. People do not like to admit that they shop at Wallmart but they do, for a simple reason. They find bargains.
                So far I have had nothing but excellent services (and prices...) ordering from Amazon's. If the day comes where CMA matches Amazon's prices (and shipping...) within 10%, I will be glad to buy all my chess books from CMA, including the 10% premium.

Comment

Everything is relative. If somebody has principles, it is fine. If somebody saves monies, it is fine too :) If somebody has principles and saves monies, it is fine squared. Freedom of choice. You have it, thus enjoy it.

Egis
                  --
                  a happy customer of the CMA, amazon, and other second-hand bookstores scattered in Toronto Downtown and GTA :p

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    It is the "support your local business" kind of principle that is at stake. I am all for it in principle but from the customer's point of view, it simply does not work in practice. Some people out of principle can and will pay 25% extra for a product, but I am not one of them. People do not like to admit that they shop at Wallmart but they do, for a simple reason. They find bargains.
                    So far I have had nothing but excellent services (and prices...) ordering from Amazon's. If the day comes where CMA matches Amazon's prices (and shipping...) within 10%, I will be glad to buy all my chess books from CMA, including the 10% premium.
                    For many reasons, there is no way CMA can match amazon's prices. That's a given. I agree with your philosophy to some extent, but not with chess books.

For example, I have zero loyalty when it comes to shopping for groceries, but chess books have a bit more of an emotional element for me. I have bought a lot of books over the years, new and used, from at least 4 of Larry's locations here in town. Having a store like that represents a real value to me, so I feel it is to my advantage to support it.

If it's a book that I know Larry won't stock, then I have no qualms about getting it from any source. Streetfighting Chess, the NIC 25th Anniversary book, Rampant Chess and Calypso Chess come to mind. Titles like that are more attractive to me than any 10 opening books from Gambit or Everyman.

In the same vein, I support a local store that sells a premium cat food (Orijen) rather than buy it more cheaply online. I want that store to succeed and to be available to me as I need it.

All that said, I use amazon for other things as I have no sense of loyalty to Chapters and Indigo. It's just the way I view things.

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil Sullivan;45998]In the same vein, I support a local store that sells a premium cat food (Orijen) rather than buy it more cheaply online. I want that store to succeed and to be available to me as I need it.

I too prefer to buy my cat-related items at pet-specific shops. They may cost more, but I want them to succeed. :) When it comes to CMA, there is the added factor that we are a non-profit organization that gets kids playing chess, and I do make a point of mentioning this to customers whenever the opportunity permits. It helps, and it works.

Comment

The CFC should really craft a deal with the CMA rather than Amazon. I fail to see what Amazon does to "promote chess in Canada."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          The CFC should really craft a deal with the CMA rather than Amazon. I fail to see what Amazon does to "promote chess in Canada."
                          Ken. I have replied privately to Larry about this. If you feel strongly enough, you could raise it at the Governors meeting next month.

Amazon's 'promotion' of Chess in Canada is via the commission we receive on sales directed by our web site to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            Ken. I have replied privately to Larry about this. If you feel strongly enough, you could raise it at the Governors meeting next month.

Amazon's 'promotion' of Chess in Canada is via the commission we receive on sales directed by our web site to them.
                            I think this dialogue is great (both the thread here and the fact that you have started a conversation with Larry...)

Just to be clear, I have bought items from CMA for years, and although I would like to support the CFC, in this case the delivery time was a joke. Perhaps Amazon puts that there to cover their asp, but it sure pushed me away.

I have also bought stuff from Amazon.ca as well, but I always wait until I can manage free shipping and of course look for a bit of a break.

Strategy games offers a super wide selection of chess books and related products and I always look there as the premier source (ordering from overseas is something I do only occasionally and as a last resort).

I don't have any idea what arrangement (financially) the CFC has with the Kap connection and indirectly with Amazon, but in general, I would think that an arrangement with Larry would be beneficial for both parties. Just comparing the available merchandise reveals that it is not really a fair contest. I know the folks in Kap seem to be trying to grow their operation, but they are starting from a long way back in the run...
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

For many reasons, there is no way CMA can match amazon's prices. That's a given. I agree with your philosophy to some extent, but not with chess books.
                              Then it comes down to one question : how much more is someone willing to pay to support his local chess bookstore? 2%, 5%, 10%, 25% ? I believe that for most people the answer is closer to 2% than 25.

Comment

Working...
                              X