It's been a slice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's been a slice...

How is this for some wacky weather anecdotes...

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...?entrynum=2012

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
      I'm mathematically challenged. You gotta problem with that?

(Humanities student here)
      No because you have never claimed to be a scientist. :):)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        If you misunderstood the intent of my post or the organizational differences of the chess organizations, I can understand that.
        Ok - definitely misunderstood this part.

Otherwise I'm at a loss to understand your post and the nastiness it conveyed.
        Your post was ridiculous and unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          Your post was ridiculous and unnecessary.
          Your reply was ignorant and offensive.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I've been turning down invitations to play in decent level correspondence events including the Pan Am Teams.
            So, Gary, will you now have more free time to post on ChessTalk? :p

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              So, Gary, will you now have more free time to post on ChessTalk? :p
              I always have time for Chess Talk. It's unique. Sometimes I get the feeling every screwball who ever pushed a pawn enjoys refreshing discussions with me. :)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Your reply was ignorant and offensive.
                My original response required no replies at all. It was simply for anyone I know who might wonder what I thought of your retirement. I find it preferable to simply not commenting or becoming a "I wonder what he thought" trivia question.

Comment

I always have time for Chess Talk. It's unique. Sometimes I get the feeling every screwball who ever pushed a pawn enjoys refreshing discussions with me. :)
                  lol

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    As long as you refrain from lecturing me on economic and financial issues while making claims that a graduate of a grade eight math program clearly shouldn't make, I don't have a problem with that.
                    Well actually economics and finances are social sciences. So I get to say plenty about those things :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      Funny how easily many people can confuse the way they see and understand things with what they call "reality" instead of "my reality". Referring to "reality" is probably the weakest argument someone can come up with...
                      Jean are you saying reality is relative :) What if none of us exist and we are all just parts of Duncan's imagination?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Dance with the star ;)

Anyway, technology transformed analyses and a moves' transmission (mails>emails>servers). Meaningless - - there more useless activities in the world, like playing poker :p
                        When I said meaningless, I said meaningless as a competition. Things like competing for your country, all those parallal titles, ratings. Honestly, none of it matters when the best chess engines and published theory can beat the hell out of almost every player on the planet.

If all the universities resorted to open book exams, how much respect would the degrees and marks have to anyone ? Bring your laptop in, any books you like, and your notes. Then write your exam with a 12 hour time limit. That would be a pretty good approximation of the nature of correspondance chess.

Yes, you might respect the researching skills and persistance of a student scoring 90% + in those circumstances. But not me. I'd only respect the students who have only themselves and 3 hours to do the test.

Ask yourself one question. Why do universities not allow resources during final exams ? Can you answer that question. It might help give some context to your opinion on correspondance chess as a competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                          Jean are you saying reality is relative :) What if none of us exist and we are all just parts of Duncan's imagination?
                          Outside opinion on chess is rarely received well by traditional players. I'm ok with that, because I've seen that real change in chess only occurs when there is an emergency. For example, if the fields of a Canadian Junior get weak, a bunch of people start posting it must be changed. This method of management though results in a perpetual state of mediocrity in chess in Canada.

I think in the case of correspondance that all these opinions don't matter, it will die a natural death when there is nobody left that wants to organize events and very few interested players. The real question to me is will this also occur for otb chess in Canada. Numerous aspects of this world that are assumed to be important by some veterans on the scene are not a given at all anymore. Change comes very slowly, and not without incessant argueing and shooting the messenger.

Then again, maybe I'm imagining things, there are always people saying otb chess is growing. I've been seeing these claims for 12 years.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 12th January, 2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                            Outside opinion on chess is rarely received well by traditional players. I'm ok with that, because I've seen that real change in chess only occurs when there is an emergency. For example, if the fields of a Canadian Junior get weak, a bunch of people start posting it must be changed. This method of management though results in a perpetual state of mediocrity in chess in Canada.

I think in the case of correspondance that all these opinions don't matter, it will die a natural death when there is nobody left that wants to organize events and very few interested players. The real question to me is will this also occur for otb chess in Canada. Numerous aspects of this world that are assumed to be important by some veterans on the scene are not a given at all anymore. Change comes very slowly, and not without incessant argueing and shooting the messenger.

Then again, maybe I'm imagining things, there are always people saying otb chess is growing. I've been seeing these claims for 12 years.

I quoted this so it can't be changed. It's priceless and timeless. Chess according to Duncan. The world. Reality. Don't hold anything back, Smith.
                            Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 12th January, 2012, 07:39 PM.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
                              lol

Craig
                              Had I known the announcement would be met with such emotion, I'd have done it a long time ago. I like a good laugh as much as the next person. :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post

I think in the case of correspondance that all these opinions don't matter, it will die a natural death when there is nobody left that wants to organize events and very few interested players...
                                I've been playing correspondence chess on http://schemingmind.com/ for quite some time as do many others. Don't think it will be dying any time soon :P

Comment

Working...
                                X