ICGA Falsifies Evidence Against Rybka...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ICGA Falsifies Evidence Against Rybka...?

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    LOL to the LOL. It is not ad hominem ...
    "The genetic fallacy is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

"Ad hominem circumstantial points out that someone is in circumstances such that he is disposed to take a particular position. Ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a source. This is fallacious because a disposition to make a certain argument does not make the argument false; this overlaps with the genetic fallacy (an argument that a claim is incorrect due to its source)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Comment

Chessbase has now posted many letters they got in response to their 4 part series defending Rybka. Here is a link to the post:

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7836

I am still trying to sort out the rebuttals to Soren Riis and I have not come to my own conclusion on this issue yet. I will have a lot of reading to do before that happens. I am still very concerned Rybka wasn't given a fair "trial", although we must remember that the ICGA is a private organization and they can pretty much do whatever they want with their members.

I would still prefer of course they turn out to be an honorable organization since that's ultimately what would be good for chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
        Chessbase has now posted many letters they got in response to their 4 part series defending Rybka. Here is a link to the post:

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7836

I am still trying to sort out the rebuttals to Soren Riis and I have not come to my own conclusion on this issue yet. I will have a lot of reading to do before that happens. I am still very concerned Rybka wasn't given a fair "trial", although we must remember that the ICGA is a private organization and they can pretty much do whatever they want with their members.

I would still prefer of course they turn out to be an honorable organization since that's ultimately what would be good for chess.
        I have collected all that information too - it will be a lot of reading (although perhaps quite interesting all the same).

I note that David Levy has a very interesting point: Rybka (well, the creator of it) was accused and found guilty of only one thing: failing to comply with Rule #2 of the ICGA regarding competitions - failure to disclose sources of code and other author's work (paraphrased) - the actual rule is:

Each program must be the original work of the entering developers. Programming teams whose code is derived from or including game-playing code written by others must name all other authors, or the source of such code, in their submission details. Programs which are discovered to be close derivatives of others (e.g., by playing nearly all moves the same), may be declared invalid by the Tournament Director after seeking expert advice. For this purpose a listing of all game-related code running on the system must be available on demand to the Tournament Director.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Here are two important links if you really want to get into the weeds on this:

The original ICGA investigation files:
          http://ilk.uvt.nl/icga/investigation...ed_by_ICGA.rar

Here is the "official" technical rebuttal to the chessbase 4 part series:
          http://icga.uvt.nl/?attachment_id=194

Comment

I wonder how this would play out in a Texas court with a civil RICO suit against the ICGA and the individual members of the committee that made that finding, a jury trial and a lawyer paid on a contingency basis, or have they closed that loophole?

Comment

"The genetic fallacy is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

"Ad hominem circumstantial points out that someone is in circumstances such that he is disposed to take a particular position. Ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a source. This is fallacious because a disposition to make a certain argument does not make the argument false; this overlaps with the genetic fallacy (an argument that a claim is incorrect due to its source)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
              The second label does not apply, as the next paragraph of your source reveals: "The circumstantial fallacy applies only where the source taking a position is only making a logical argument from premises that are generally accepted. Where the source seeks to convince an audience of the truth of a premise by a claim of authority or by personal observation, observation of their circumstances may reduce the evidentiary weight of the claims, sometimes to zero."

I would add that, strictly speaking, neither of your labels apply, Garvin, for reasons already stated.

It might be amusing to apply the rules of Logic to the blandishments of a TV infomercial. But here we have a murkier situation than the "premises that are generally accepted" in the paragraph above, and the "total BS" of an infomercial.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                The second label does not apply, as the next paragraph of your source reveals: "The circumstantial fallacy applies only where the source taking a position is only making a logical argument from premises that are generally accepted. Where the source seeks to convince an audience of the truth of a premise by a claim of authority or by personal observation, observation of their circumstances may reduce the evidentiary weight of the claims, sometimes to zero."

I would add that, strictly speaking, neither of your labels apply, Garvin, for reasons already stated.

It might be amusing to apply the rules of Logic to the blandishments of a TV infomercial. But here we have a murkier situation than the "premises that are generally accepted" in the paragraph above, and the "total BS" of an infomercial.
                Sigh.... Talking about Rybka's association to chessbase or Soren Riis association to Rybka is whether you believe/understand it or not...an attack on Soren Riis character (and the people at Chessbase's character) but not addressing any of the arguments Soren made in his 4 part series on that site. (In technical terms this is known as the genetic ad hominem fallacy.)

Now, whether you agree with me on this (very) minor point or not...do you intend to say one thing about his actual arguments from the four part series?

If not, I'm strongly interested in hearing the insights of the many chess community's programmers (and others interested in the Rybka vs ICGA debate) on Rybka's guilt or innocence...

Comment

For those of you interested in the actual issue here is an article by David Levy showing some of the history of "cloning" in the computer chess competitions:

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/attack-of-the-clones

Comment

whether you believe/understand it or not...

Now, whether you agree with me on this (very) minor point or not...do you intend to say one thing about his actual arguments from the four part series?

If not, I'm strongly interested in hearing the insights of the many chess community's programmers (and others interested in the Rybka vs ICGA debate) on Rybka's guilt or innocence...
                    Garvin, the sources you quoted still show you wrong about both of those labels. If one disagrees with the sources, best not to quote them. Oh wait, since it's Wikipedia, a person can quote them and then edit the inconvenient bits. Or ignore them. I suppose that the Chesstalk multitudes will give you the benefit of the doubt, since you've profited from that Grade 9 class in "reasoning" but I have not. My brother Nick is a strict logician in the mould of Spock (Mister). He left behind books like "Wittgenstein's Tractatus" and the paperback two-in-one logic blockbuster by Lewis Carroll "Logic" and "The Game of Logic". In another universe I might have been able to face them, but instead went for "Alice in Wonderland". Now I'm paying the price, still feeling young, but outgunned in this week's episode of "Logic Train".

Just this morning I saw part of a CBC Television program, the Doc Zone, episode title "Magical Mystery Cures", which was an infomercial (from the point of view of Science) debunking a series of infomercials (from the point of view of purveyors of quack cures). It was a cynic's / skeptic's jamboree, but nothing ad hominem about it.

My original reply was simply to correct the label you applied to Keith MacKinnon's pithy comment. One cannot have a useful debate if one starts off biased. See, I care more about your rhetorical equilibrium than about whether a program contravened ICGA's rules of competition.

Comment

Computer programs have come a long way since Ribbit. I seem to recall that program playing against people in an event at Hart House back around 1974. It was only against people who agreed to the pairing as I recall. Can't recall the program being very strong in that competition.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Reviewing this thread five and a half years later, I am amazed that I answered every question. Today it might be "[Expletive deleted]" and move along.

But what happened finally? Will somebody summarize the result of the controversy, in 250 words or less, for somebody who has been lite on the computer chess scene for, well, in two weeks it will be 2017 days? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X