Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexei Shirov in Toronto!

GM Alexei Shirov – February 27

Shirov came to Toronto in 2010, and Scarborough Chess Club held a great event. He's returning to Toronto this February.

Register now to play GM Alexei Shirov, when he comes to Toronto!

Event details – GM Shirov in Toronto!
    Register online – http://guestli.st/85764

$60 to play a game against GM Shirov
    $20 just to watch the event - including a chess lecture

Don't miss this opportunity to play one of the world's best!
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Re: Alexei Shirov in Toronto!

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    GM Alexei Shirov – February 27

$60 to play a game against GM Shirov
    $20 just to watch the event - including a chess lecture
    $60 is so far highest price of Shirov's simul if I remember correctly, including at Ottawa and Scarborough Chess club in 2010.

Comment

Not that I want to compare (every club has their own circumstances that they operate within, depending on whether they run for free or for nominal costs out of a community centre, etc. -- e.g., Scarborough runs at lower cost than we do, but with stricter time constraints) but I thought Ottawa this year was pretty similar. I thought I saw $50 or $100 advertised ?
      Marcus Wilker
      Annex Chess Club
      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

I won't be going to the Toronto one as it's too expensive.

In Ottawa it was $30 to play for nonmembers, $25 for members. But for the two lectures it was $150!?

Just a reminder that Alexei Shirov will be making a return visit to Ottawa in February. He comes here after Wijk an Zee where he made such a spectacular run against the world's best last year.
        He will be holding a simul at the RA Centre starting at 7 p.m. on Thursday 3 February. ChessTalkers will recall the dramatic win last year by young Pranav Sharma that made headline news on ChessBase and in the Ottawa Citizen. (Karoly Szalay also won but that was less of a surprise as he was the defending club champion.) Entry fee is $30 less $5 for RA members less $5 for juniors.
        He will also be giving two lectures, at 2 p.m. on Saturday-Sunday 5-6 February at the RA Centre. Entry fee is the usual $150 for the pair.
        Sign ups are first-come, first-served at the RA chess club on Thursday evenings or by mail to me:
        Gordon Ritchie
        1837 Juno Avenue
        Ottawa, Ontario
        K1H6S6
        There are a few spots remaining for the simul and a number of seats available for the lectures.

Comment

Hi,

Presumably the $60 also includes watching the lecture.
          If so, then it's quite worth it! And yes, comparatively speaking, the lecture price is quite a bargain...
          I also doubt Shirov's lecture will be comparable to Short's show of game from a few months ago. Short just briefly in 20 minutes went over one of his interesting games, with great colourful commentary and analyzes, as a bonus to the simul event.
          Surely Shirov will give a much lengthier, more elaborate and instructive lecture. I had the pleasure of attending Shirov's at the Canadian Open in 2009 in Edmonton and it was quite decent.

Alex F.

Comment

The prices for Ottawa quoted above were for last year under a very different format. This year, Alexei Shirov will play simuls in Ottawa on Thursday 23 September and in Gatineau on Friday. On Saturday, he will give a 4-hour lecture analyzing the games played by attendees. It offers the rare treat of not only playing a super GM but also having him analyze your game.
            Discounts were offered for RA members and for those registering in November & December. The full price is now $55 for the simul (less $5 for RA members) plus $55 (-$5) for the lecture. There are still a few places left.

Comment

Two weeks to the Toronto Shirov event...

Register online today!
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Unlike what happens at many GM simuls, where the GM plays white on all boards, Shirov has confirmed that he will alternate colours.
                Marcus Wilker
                Annex Chess Club
                Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Today's the day... Doors open at 6:30 pm
                  Marcus Wilker
                  Annex Chess Club
                  Toronto, Ontario

Comment

How did this event go?
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

http://annexchessclub.com/2012/02/th...alexei-shirov/

26.5/27
                      +26-0=1

Comment

Unlike what happens at many GM simuls, where the GM plays white on all boards, Shirov has confirmed that he will alternate colours.
                        Shirov is a smart guy. By alternating colours he makes preparation twice as much difficult for his opponents. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Shirov is a smart guy. By alternating colours he makes preparation twice as much difficult for his opponents. ;)
                          A couple of youngsters sitting next to each other took advantage of a subtle flaw in the alternation system, and tried the good ol' simul trick of each copying Shirov's moves, leaving Shirov to play against himself.

But Shirov was too smart for that, too :) He passed on one board, forced the second player to play ahead, and played a different move himself back on the first board.
                          Marcus Wilker
                          Annex Chess Club
                          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

A couple of youngsters sitting next to each other took advantage of a subtle flaw in the alternation system, and tried the good ol' simul trick of each copying Shirov's moves, leaving Shirov to play against himself.

But Shirov was too smart for that, too :) He passed on one board, forced the second player to play ahead, and played a different move himself back on the first board.
                            lol - I wonder if the youngsters (or their parents) realize the money to play in the simul was essentially wasted by that attempted trick?
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                            X