2011 Elaine Howie Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Elaine Howie Fund

As you may recall, the Elaine Howie Fund was set up in July 2010 to recognize young Canadians who display commitment and excellence in chess. Twelve juniors are selected each year, with at least one receiving $100. The money is generally collected in place of gifts, though any form of donation is welcome as long as it benefits junior chess in Canada.

This year, there will be three awards of $100 each - two for the original part of the fund, and one for the Youth Girls Award. The recipients of these prizes will be announced later this month. However, all twelve finalists receive a special certificate & 2011 Elaine Howie Fund pin.

For now, here is this year's "Top 12" (ordered by grade, not yet by prize amount). If you see your name, or know someone on this list, please let me know. More information can be found at http://checkmateupdate.blogspot.com/.

Sergey Noritsyn (ON, Grade 3)
    Yuanchen Zhang (ON, Grade 5)
    Qiyu Zhou (ON, Grade 6)
    Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (QC, Grade 7)
    Zong Yang Yu (QC, Grade 7)
    John Doknjas (BC, Grade 7)
    Melissa Giblon (ON, Grade 7)
    Nicholas Lee (AB, Grade 7)
    Michael Song (ON, Grade 7)
    Richard Wang (AB, Grade 9)
    Nicolas Robichaud (NB, Grade 9)
    Nikola Isaev (QC, Grade 11)

Congratulations to the twelve finalists. A large number of Canadian juniors performed well this year, so the results of the twelve selected were spectacular. I was also pleased to see the increasing level of sponsorship & support for junior chess events across the country. Go Canada!

Re: 2011 Elaine Howie Fund

Congrats Hazel! You are doing a spectacular job!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      Congrats Hazel! You are doing a spectacular job!
      Thanks Andrei, though you should really congratulate the juniors - they're the ones actually achieving the results; I just look at the numbers :)

Comment

Hi Hazel,

Congratulations! You have been doing a great job. If you don’t get enough funding for this year, I will sure top it up. And of course any Ontario girl recipients will get a free entry to the Ontario Girls’ Chess Championship 2012.

On your website you said “My heart also goes out to Taylor Zhang (ON, Grade 3) and Benjamin Lin (ON, Grade 2). They both had amazing years, and I've had the pleasure of working with them in the past, but as a result of this affiliation, they were not eligible for fund awards.”

This reminded me the days when you were teaching Benjamin, Taylor and other little ones from scratch at SH and Oriole. I found your teaching really worked for the very young players. The way you developed their chess thinking contributed a lot to their future success. It is actually very unfortunate for us to lose a teacher like you. I hope you would teach again when you return to Toronto after your graduation.

Best wishes,
        Corinna

Comment

That's very kind of you Corinna. There should be enough for the fund awards this year, but I appreciate your generosity & will extend the OGCC offer to the girls.

Yes, I do miss those times. You have a lot of talented children in your chess clubs. If I'm able to return to teaching in the future, I'd be happy to help out again. Thanks so much for your support.

Comment

Working...
          X