Occupy Movement is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupy Movement is back

To mark the 4 month anniversary of the first OWS occupation at Zucotti Park in New York City, the Occupy movement marched on Capital Hill yesterday to protest corporate money influence on US politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5K0m...feature=relmfu

Protesters also returned recently to Zucotti Park, but without their tents.

Re: Occupy Movement is back

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

To mark the 4 month anniversary of the first OWS occupation at Zucotti Park in New York City, the Occupy movement marched on Capital Hill yesterday to protest corporate money influence on US politics.
    I don't see what they're b*tching about. That OWS is protesting the only segments of the American economy which is providing jobs and putting people to work. The Americans are running an unemployment rate not far from 10 percent.

I suppose the money printing presses are running full time to provide relief for the unemployed. Of course, they don't call it relief these days. Politically correct is entitlements because nobody really wants to admit they receive charity.

Probably people wonder how unemployment can be bad in the U.S.. Obama just turned down a pipeline proposal which would have provided thousands of jobs. Not to worry. There is always the entitlements.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I don't see what they're b*tching about.
      Yes, you obviously do not.

Comment

Yes, you obviously do not.
        Will the Toronto chapter of the movement be returning soon?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Their efforts might be more productive if they *Occupied* Dalton's Queen's Park offices in order to protest the McGuinty government's unspeakably misguided policies and waste. Actually, I'll leave it to anyone else to get into the specifics, if they wish to.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I guess they haven't done anything dramatic recently to get in the news. But they do maintain a website. The calendar of events shows regular meetings and various rallies and events.

The real action is in the US. I see some occupiers disrupted a rally for Rick Santorum.

Comment

The real action is in the US. I see some occupiers disrupted a rally for Rick Santorum.
              The U.S. is a different country with different problems than Canada.

I'm not all that interested in U.S. politics. By Canadian standards they have two right wing political parties. Comparing Canada to arguably the world's major super power, with a population about 10 times ours, makes little sense to me.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                Their efforts might be more productive if they *Occupied* Dalton's Queen's Park offices in order to protest the McGuinty government's unspeakably misguided policies and waste. Actually, I'll leave it to anyone else to get into the specifics, if they wish to.
                If you believe in our system of elections, and I do, McGuinty won a very convincing minority government. One seat shy of a majority.

He went into the election, trailing badly in the polls, and took out ads on TV defending his record, giving his vision for Ontario which looked to me like more of the same, and got the votes.

Hudak didn't present a vision, didn't say what he'd do, and seemed to remind people of the Harris days.

It renews my faith in human nature that simply telling people to vote for someone because he wants to be the treat of the week isn't enough. You have to tell them what you'll do differently and not whom you dislike.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Fair enough, as far as the Ontario election result goes.

However, that result doesn't mean the people of Ontario, or Canada, should be happy with what the Ontario Liberals are still doing to our province's economy, after their re-election and after all of their campaign promises.
                  Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                  Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                    Fair enough, as far as the Ontario election result goes.

However, that result doesn't mean the people of Ontario, or Canada, should be happy with what the Ontario Liberals are still doing to our province's economy, after their re-election and after all of their campaign promises.
                    People didn't vote for the Liberals, in my opinion. The way I saw it they voted for McGuinty and his vision over Hudak. Hudak's election platform amounted to "trust me".

Personally, I could care less what the people in the other provinces think of the government which Ontario elected. It's none of their business just like it's none of Ontario's business who Quebec elects for their provincial government.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Time for a form of proportional representation and then we will have a better idea of what people voted for.

Comment

I guess they haven't done anything dramatic recently to get in the news. But they do maintain a website. The calendar of events shows regular meetings and various rallies and events.

So you don't see the protestors in Greece as being in any way part of this? As I thought this is all about maintaining the priveleged status of North America and the heck with the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          Time for a form of proportional representation and then we will have a better idea of what people voted for.
                          I guess that means representatives from lists the political parties present?

Quebec kind of got that in the last federal election when they voted NDP. MP's some of whom it is said had never been to the province. A feature of proportional representation.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                            So you don't see the protestors in Greece as being in any way part of this? As I thought this is all about maintaining the priveleged status of North America and the heck with the rest of the world.
                            As usual, you are putting words in my mouth. Gary asked about the Toronto chapter of OWS, and I replied to that question. I made no comment about Greece whatsoever.

Of course, Greece is part of the OWS movement. OWS is a global movement protesting wealth and income inequity around the world. As far as the privileged status of North America, well the USA is dropping fast, we can only hope they don't drag us down with them.

Comment

I made no comment about Greece whatsoever.
                              Exactly when asked about Toronto you replied that the US is where the real action is.

Let's see if we can clarify what real action is? Let's see in the US they disrupted a political rally, in Greece they are burning down numerous buildings estimated to be about 50 and rioting to protest austerity cuts that are arguably the result of the whole financial crisis. Where's the real action? Not in the US. If I was going to make a pronouncement as to where the real action was Greece would merit a comment.

If you were just trying to answer Gary's question then he was asking about Toronto. Actually in all your previous comments on this topic I have yet to see you talk about anything but the US and Canada.
                              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 14th February, 2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X